Platinum now worth the $$?

toddhawk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Lancaster, WI
15 months a go I had AT250 + Plat HD which Dish gave me for free. Then I lost my job and went on Dish pause for 9 months. Great new job and new city and now back on Dish for a few months now. I noticed when I hooked back up that Platinum HD was not a good deal anymore and since Dish didn't hook me back up to it (likely since it was a free add-on before) I didn't miss it. But I see they've added a lot of channels. Does anyone think it's now worth the extra $10? I'd like to see a few more movies. Encore is great but only has 1 HD channel (we like the older movies). What do you think?:) Thanks for the advice.
Todd

I think it is a great package. You have to look at what is available on it and make the decision based on whether or not you think it is worthwhile. Everyone has a different thought about what they want. That shouldn't sway your decision one way or the other.

I recently dropped Platinum after having it since I got HD.

Maybe it was too much choice but I fould myself surfing through those channels and occasionaly stopping to watch a few minutes of something before moving on.

You can't complain about the quantity of channels in the package but I just did not find myself taking advantage of them.

I go through the movie guide about once a week and dvr movies. Then I watch them at my conveinance. I always find several to record. Worth it to me.

When I got it way back, two years or so when I first got HD, it was great. Basically no commercials on any of the channels, great programming and PQ. Now channels that had no commercials, now have not only a lot, but the cheap cheezy ones. And the PQ is not as sharp as it was. I'm seriously thinking of dumping it since the EPG is causing us to miss way too much programming and we are getting it off Internet services with great quality, no commercials. The price for it pays for the Internet services.

I'm seriously thinking of dumping it since the EPG is causing us to miss way too much programming

Huh?? The only thing I can think of that makes sense of that statement is that you have too many duplicates in your HD guide and you need to lock them out. I also disagree with your statement about commercials. The ones that started with none, still have none AFAIK. You'll need to specify.

Yes, just ask. They are giving away 3 months of HD Platinum, Starz, Encore, and HD Premium from what I am reading on sites. Try the following promo code: HappyHolidays. Let us know if that works. :)

Not sure about the commercial remark, seems like the ones that didn't have any still don't. In any case, it sure seems worth $120 a year. Lots of movies, and many programs on HD Net and Theatre that I watch...

Huh?? The only thing I can think of that makes sense of that statement is that you have too many duplicates in your HD guide and you need to lock them out. I also disagree with your statement about commercials. The ones that started with none, still have none AFAIK. You'll need to specify.
They're showing commercials now. You're just not noticing . . . yet. That's the one thing that I really liked about these "Maverick" channels. They're sneaking them in. UniversalHD for one and a couple other channels that I had gotten use to begin able to watch, movies mostly, without them. What made me notice was that they have their own program advertising that would run for 15-20 minutes to fill gaps that the programming without commercials would cause. It would really make it apparent how short an hour program actually is. But now not common market commercials in the standard slots, but the "late night cheapies" "sub" (junk) commercials.

Duplicates in the EPG has nothing to do with it. As I have been saying for years, the EPG info is crap, Thank You Zap2It and Tribune Bcasting and DISH being "cheap" and uncaring (as per a Field Super) in this regard, that causes the timers not to fire, finding things to watch impossible if the info is wrong, etc. This is across the board. I just documented a History Channel program that was all screwed up and thus we were not able to get the correct programs recorded. And it is not the networks changing things without "DISH" knowing about. TitanTV and TVGuide are perfectly able to keep up to date when Zap2It/Tribune is wrong. DISH needs to change their provider.

Plus I have several of the Plat channels still mapped down, Fox dump replacements, on my all my boxes, so why pay for it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts