Players you wish your favorite team never traded

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Sometimes, our favorite teams trade players that we, as fans, become very much attached to.

When those transactions happen, we can sometimes feel emotionally hurt or devastated.

Can you guys recall players whom you were very attached to and were really upset when they were traded?

(Retirements won't count)

As a Sabre fan, sone of you might think I'll say Hasek or LaFontaine.

But, in reality, the one Sabre I was devastated to see traded away was the guy in my avatar: Dave Andreychuk.

Here's a true story:

In 1993, I was at a Hardee's when someone told me that Andreychuk (and goalie Darren Puppa, who I also liked) had been traded for Grant Fuhr. I dropped the fried chicken that I was eating right on the floor.

I was in total shock and didn't recover for a week.

To this day, I insist that Buffalo's getting rid of such a reliable goal-scorer for what I assumed was a past-his-prime goalie was the most idioctic thing and HORRIBLE trade as a Sabres fan.

That's mine.

What yours?

Reactions: madmadworld
Phil Esposito----- Bruins
Jim Plunkett ----Patriots (although I understood it and I was probably alone at the time)
Sparky Lyle Red Sox
Nolan Ryan Mets (at the time I was a half hearted mets fan)

and even though it was before my time I will add

Babe Ruth--- Red Sox I know it was a sale not an actual trade and a tthe time all the Boston press and a lot of fans agreed with it but that one and the similar sales of boston players to NY that followed it really did not turn out so well.

Reactions: madmadworld
the Browns did not trade Bernie Kosar either. they cut him in midseason saying he suffered from "diminshing skills."

How about when the Vikes traded FOR Herschel Walker and gave away the frickin farm?

When i read that i could not rember how bad that trade was so i looked it up

Minnesota Vikings Received:

* RB Herschel Walker
* Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)
* San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)
* Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)
* Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)

Dallas Cowboys Received:

* LB Jesse Solomon
* LB David Howard
* CB Issiac Holt
* RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)
* DE Alex Stewart
* Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) They traded this pick along with pick(81)for pick(17)from Pittsburgh to draft (Emmitt Smith)
* Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)
* Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)
* Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (11) (Pat Harlow)
* Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Darryll Lewis)
* Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)
* Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)
* Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)

Red Sox sent Jeff Bagwell to Houston for reliever Larry Andersen (Aug. 31, 1990).

Jeff Bagwell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although Andersen pitched well down the stretch in 1990 (allowing three runs in 22 innings of relief), and helped the Red Sox win the AL East division title on the last day of the season, Boston was swept in the American League Championship Series and then lost Andersen to free agency (in part because of a so-called collusion settlement).

Bagwell had nine seasons with over 30 home runs, eight seasons with 100 or more RBI, and nine seasons with over 100 runs scored. In six consecutive years, from 1996 through 2001, he reached all three marks in every season. He drew at least 100 walks for seven straight seasons, and had six seasons with a .300 batting average.

Bagwell was also considered a strong fielder, winning a Gold Glove award in 1994, and compiling a career .993 fielding percentage. He also exhibited above-average speed and baserunning skills for a first baseman, stealing 202 bases over his career, including two seasons (1997, 1999) in which he stole at least 30 bases, and five seasons (1994, 1996-99) in which he stole at least 15. In 1997, he became the first full-time first baseman to steal 30 bases while hitting 30 home runs.

Mets - Tom Seaver
Mets - Nolan Ryan
Flyers - Peter Forsberg
Flyers - Ron Hextall

Wow,
I didn't even know that Forsberg was a Flyer .... opps sorry, I thought you were saying he was a Flyer when he was drafted, I thought he started with Quebec and move to Colorado when the Av's were born :)

Jimbo

He was the # 1 player Quebec wanted along with 5 others in the Eric Lindros debacle !
Yes he was drafted by the Flyers # 6 overall in 1991.

Debacle?

I don't think so.

With the Flyers, Lindros was not exactly a Ryan Leaf-esque bust.

As for NHL debacles,

I say the biggest one is Phil Esposito and Ken Hodge to Boston for four cups of coffee (not literally)