Playing external hard drive recordings without satellite

Sparky9

Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
Texas
Hello, newbie here.

I was trying to find an answer to my question and was glad to find this forum.

I have two Dish 722k receivers with an external hard drive on each. I am looking at the possibility of discontinuing Dish service, but want to be able to play my recorded show on my hard drives. I was wondering if I bought one or two receivers and used the hard drive (or drives, depending on if I buy one or two receivers), will I be able to watch the recorded shows on the receiver without satellite service?

One other question: if this is possible, is it possible to hook up two hard drives to one receiver?

Thanks,

Hello, newbie here.

I was trying to find an answer to my question and was glad to find this forum.

I have two Dish 722k receivers with an external hard drive on each. I am looking at the possibility of discontinuing Dish service, but want to be able to play my recorded show on my hard drives. I was wondering if I bought one or two receivers and used the hard drive (or drives, depending on if I buy one or two receivers), will I be able to watch the recorded shows on the receiver without satellite service?

One other question: if this is possible, is it possible to hook up two hard drives to one receiver?

Thanks,

I would think as long as the receiver never receives the disconnect signal (in other words, unhook the coax before you cancel) then I think it should work.

I would think as long as the receiver never receives the disconnect signal (in other words, unhook the coax before you cancel) then I think it should work.
I'm assuming the disconnect signal would affect the external hard drive? The new receiver would be one that I buy and never hook up to a satellite signal. It's sole purpose would be to play back my recorded shows.

This is not true, and hasn't been for many years. Even IF it doesn't receive the disconnect signal when he cancels, the subscription will expire/time out eventually, usually by the end of the month. Sub hits now come with an automatic expiry date attached (in effect)

As for external drive activation, they are activated as a TIER, just as if it was a channel subscription. That means that'll expire also.

This is not true, and hasn't been for many years. Even IF it doesn't receive the disconnect signal when he cancels, the subscription will expire/time out eventually, usually by the end of the month.

As for external drive activation, they are activated as a TIER, just as if it was a channel subscription. That means that'll expire also.

I’m still using one now and it has never shut off :)

I'm thinking my best bet may be to just keep one receiver in service with a bare bones package. By the way, I got my DISH service years ago as a bundled package with my AT&T phone & internet. They don't even offer DISH anymore. Now their package is with Direct TV, so I may face some issues when I go changing anything.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I'm thinking my best bet may be to just keep one receiver in service with a bare bones package. By the way, I got my DISH service years ago as a bundled package with my AT&T phone & internet. They don't even offer DISH anymore. Now their package is with Direct TV, so I may face some issues when I go changing anything.

Sounds like a good idea. My success might be an anomaly. I've had Dish off and on since 1998, so my account(s) are very old.

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)