Playstation Home Beta

I thought this would be up already (today.) I logged on at like 6:45am and it wasn't available yet. I just figured there would be an early roll out, but it appears I was wrong.

I must be doing something wrong? Live is not that cool except for the Netflix streaming that is cool!

I don't think the two are very easily comparable. Home is just an elaborate gimmick, the NXE for Live was an upgrade to the UI and an addition of features to the base user experience. The only way this would be the equivalent is if when you booted your PS3 and it started you out on your couch in the background of the XMB and you could hit a button to toggle over to controlling your avatar. (actually this is a cool idea, wonder what it would take to do)

Home is just like adding another game to the mix, you're not going to see stuff like this:

with 14 million folks suddenly using an entirely new interface designed to make content easier to find, you'd wonder how successful it is in that regard. Well, glad you asked! Microsoft reports that Marketplace downloads of TV episodes were up 30% and movie downloads an impressive 49% the week after the NXE launch.

Home isn't really doing anything to 'move the needle' for Sony, it's just like releasing a free game. Just like giving away something on XBLA, it takes people looking for it/wanting to use it to be successful while NXE just works and adds to the experience for every single Xbox user.

Home isn't really doing anything to 'move the needle' for Sony, it's just like releasing a free game. Just like giving away something on XBLA, it takes people looking for it/wanting to use it to be successful while NXE just works and adds to the experience for every single Xbox user.
I'd disagree. The resources, time, and goals set by "Home" I feel far exceed that of a standard game, and it's more of a selling point than the NXE is. Home is essentially a new social network, while NXE is a new OS with some added multimedia features. That's not to belittle NXE, but I feel that comparing NXE to Home is apples and oranges, and that both are very significant in their own way.

That's my point though, NXE isn't a selling point, it's features are. Home is another game, with minigames and a social component. In the end, that really is all it is. You can say the same about LittleBigPlanet. It's scope is fantastic and wide ranging, but there are going to be a lot of people who just play it as a platformer and put it down, never to play it multiplayer, create content, etc. I agree with your last sentence completely, and it depends on how you value each of the additions.

If my friends dont have any interest in pool, bowling, watching trailers in some community area, playing dress up/house... then they'll never log into home... (and it's not going to make them want to buy a PS3, which is a separate problem entirely) while on the 360, stuff like forming a party via NXE is something that comes naturally and helps us move from game to game (features that add benefits to existing actions).

I stand by the rest though, while it has more potential value than some game giveaway, it takes people wanting to use it, and shouldn't be apples to apples compared to NXE because as an overhaul to the UI is more useful and impacting to the experience of the console to an end user. Home isn't going to move the needle for Sony, it doesn't bring anything new to the table to make someone say 'ok, now im going to pay a premium over a 360 to get a PS3, got to have my Home'... the NXE didn't necessarily do this for Microsoft (though, Netflix support may have) but it didn't need to as bad as home needs to for Sony.

On the bright side, at least this holiday their ads show a game (home) that will be available, unlike last year. Hello misleading advertising, wtf.

I thought this would be up already (today.) I logged on at like 6:45am and it wasn't available yet. I just figured there would be an early roll out, but it appears I was wrong.

It may be up now. I just went in and it sucked down 1.03, and there were a few new places to go. Also no more SOCOM on the theatre :)

-Mike

Looks like the signin is as reliable as their download speeds at the moment. Kind of annoying that at least your apartment isn't available offline. Also I'm reading that sub accounts can't use Home? So sounds like if my wife wanted to use this she can't do so on her own? That mean one Home per console, or are subaccounts something different?

I was able to finally get on, and Home really is no big deal, there's no compelling reason for me to log back in until they start giving stuff away. I played some pool, some bowling, and a brick breaking game in the arcade. I visited the mall... which is just 2-3 stores and an empty slot or two... so i went up stairs... and it's the exact same thing (wtf). I ended up back at home, and tried to add more furniture to my pad... turns out right out of the gate to add anything I don't already have placed for the most part it's going to cost me $.50 to $.99. I can start a club, but I'm not sure what I get even after reading the 300 word description (which is mostly terms of the sale) which costs $4.99. The description clearly states they plan to charge for this monthly... and a club can only have so 31 members, and people can only be in 4 clubs (and only lead one). This seems kind of stupid outside of a circle of friends. Just like that they ensure websites cannot form communities which would encourage further use of the service... unless I am missing something here?

I tried the theater, but it was taking so long for the video to load (the theater was packed, nearly every seat filled, people dancing up front) that I got impatient and left to try bowling/pool/etc.

In the mall, the stores are there to let you buy a summer home (cost $$, dont remember how much) some clothes, shoes, and some furniture... all for a cost.

So far, this adds nothing to the PS3 outside of the custom rooms or whatever it provides for certain titles (and im not sure how valuable those are given I haven't experienced on yet).

I guess I am just disappointed. This has been in development for this long, and this is all we get? A couple changes of clothes, a couch 2 chairs, 2 tables, and a light? What took so long to develop? Netcode? Transaction management? After seeing everything costs $$ and then walking around the main plaza area and being greeted by Twilight advertisements at a resolution that wouldn't even be acceptable to a banner ad, let alone a HD console shows where the priority is here. :(

My neighbor and I couldn't get on at all yesterday or last night. I got it working finally at like 6:30 this morning. Created my "character", just walked around a bit, played that game in the fountain with the flying saucers, went to the bowling alley.. nothing exciting. I also couldn't do much because I had to actually go to work. I just wanted to log on so I could get my foot in the "home."

I'm withholding judgement on it for now. I wasn't part of the closed beta, but it seems like this could have some real potential. Whether or not this turns out to be a success and becomes Sony's "Second Life" or a failure and becomes Sony's "Sims Online" is yet to be seen.

in the bowling alley there are only 5 lanes, makes you wonder how busy they ever expected the thing to be... That was the game I wasn't able to try. This goes back to the (lack of) success of the PS3 among my friends... it's just me and another guy who have it. If a bunch of my friends were able to hop on, play pool, maybe my opinion could change to become a little more favorable... but not too likely. Hoping the price drop in March will help change that.

Until they add more, you can experience the multiple years of development time in less than 20 minutes depending on load times unless you start spending RL money and buy a club, buy more furniture, clothes, etc.

Most are just saying 'wow, a lot of potential here!' but I just don't get it, what have we been waiting for, to be wowed by potential or to actually be able to do something useful with this? It's just a microtransaction game and area to showcase 3rd party advertisements, not much else currently. I wonder how long till they put a Twilight ad in the corner of the screen during the pool/arcade/bowling games :p

I was able to finally get on, and Home really is no big deal, there's no compelling reason for me to log back in until they start giving stuff away. I played some pool, some bowling, and a brick breaking game in the arcade. I visited the mall... which is just 2-3 stores and an empty slot or two... so i went up stairs... and it's the exact same thing (wtf). I ended up back at home, and tried to add more furniture to my pad... turns out right out of the gate to add anything I don't already have placed for the most part it's going to cost me $.50 to $.99. I can start a club, but I'm not sure what I get even after reading the 300 word description (which is mostly terms of the sale) which costs $4.99. The description clearly states they plan to charge for this monthly... and a club can only have so 31 members, and people can only be in 4 clubs (and only lead one). This seems kind of stupid outside of a circle of friends. Just like that they ensure websites cannot form communities which would encourage further use of the service... unless I am missing something here?

I tried the theater, but it was taking so long for the video to load (the theater was packed, nearly every seat filled, people dancing up front) that I got impatient and left to try bowling/pool/etc.

In the mall, the stores are there to let you buy a summer home (cost $$, dont remember how much) some clothes, shoes, and some furniture... all for a cost.

So far, this adds nothing to the PS3 outside of the custom rooms or whatever it provides for certain titles (and im not sure how valuable those are given I haven't experienced on yet).

I guess I am just disappointed. This has been in development for this long, and this is all we get? A couple changes of clothes, a couch 2 chairs, 2 tables, and a light? What took so long to develop? Netcode? Transaction management? After seeing everything costs $$ and then walking around the main plaza area and being greeted by Twilight advertisements at a resolution that wouldn't even be acceptable to a banner ad, let alone a HD console shows where the priority is here. :(

I don't even have a light and where is the bathroom at? :eek:

Apparently the people at IGN share most of the sentiment here:

IGN: Home Impressions

The lack of content available so far is rather startling. I mean they don't even have a lot of clothing options available. I can only assume that they're really looking to do a multi-phased roll out, where they just add little bits all the time as opposed to a big release, so that when bugs and problems do come up, the less stuff that's out there, the easier it is to diagnose and solve. Still, they need to hurry up with the additions, because when you have a bad first impression like what many people seem to be having, the time you have to make things better is not very long.

I was finally able to get in on Sunday, after 2 days without power. Not overly impressed, but the potential is there. Let's hope Sony doesn't drop the ball on this.

In a lot of ways, all the positive comments (here and elsewhere) remind me of the PS3 itself...

'the potential is there'

'good foundation'

'in time it will be great'

2008 was supposed to be the year of the PS3, that didn't pan out, now we get to see if 2009 will be the year of the PS3, and if Home ever becomes fun.

I'll give it some credit though, Home was the highlight of a visit to a friend's house. I told him he'd get 30 minute tops of enjoyment out of it, and he proved me wrong by walking around the Plaza and movie theater saying 'ive got crabs' and sitting next to people.

I guess I don't understand the point of Home. Everyone keeps talking about potential, but potential to do what? I don't get it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)