please help advise me how to wire a new home for satellite

Wow, great help. Thanks. My plan is to do what I can afford. Media panel in utility room, 2 inch conduit from there up into attic. Already built a sweet cat walk of 2x12 plank, supported two feet above the sheetrock so I will have good attic access after insulation blow-in. I will run three RG6 from dish to media panel, then two from the panel to each tv location. Four rg6 from the panel to the main tv area. With the four I can feed it with two, plus feed it its antenna (with fm), and that leaves one to send out the SD signal to distribute to the three small tv locations. Also, will route a 12 gauge solid copper ground from dish to panel. Also will put a good quality hemisphere from panel to the main tv, in case I wish to locate the dish receiver remotely in the panel. There is really no chance that high speed internet will ever be available to this rural residence, so some of the other cable advise will help other people more than me. We use cell signal internet, so I will also be installing a cell repeater. The house is ICF to the roof eave, with a metal roof.
Now, I need to order rg6, like belden 7915a, and about 25 connectors. Any suggestions where to buy it? Thanks again.

Reactions: stardust3
Oh yea, I ran the rear channel speaker 14 gauge to a couple ceiling locations (i only run 5.1). After the ceiling sheetrock goes up, I will add wooden enclosures covered with sheetrock, in the attic, to maintain the fire barrier when I cut in the speakers. Then the spray foam 2 inch spray and 15 inches of blown fiberglass can go in.

It is important that the connectors ALSO be swept/certified for 3GHz. Often, it is the connectors that are the source of problems.

I'm sure you are aware that you should run contiguous lines, with NO barrel connectors. Any savings by using barrels will be illusory.

With the four I can feed it with two, plus feed it its antenna (with fm), and that leaves one to send out the SD signal to distribute to the three small tv locations.
Keep in mind that analog signals are getting harder and harder to come by and may soon go away altogether.

Curious about what you mean with your comment.
Take it at face value.

S-VHS and component have pretty much gone away and composite surely isn't far behind; just look at the modern Blu-ray players that feature HDMI and coaxial audio only.

DIRECTV has moved their analog stuff to a DIN jack and I expect that those jacks will disappear sooner than later.

Combine this with the analog outputs being disabled on most DVRs when there is an active HDMI connection and you begin to see the writing on the wall.

While modulated NTSC or DA'ed line level analog signals may have served you well in the past, don't depend on being able to do it for much longer.

Take it at face value.

S-VHS and component have pretty much gone away and composite surely isn't far behind; just look at the modern Blu-ray players that feature HDMI and coaxial audio only.

DIRECTV has moved their analog stuff to a DIN jack and I expect that those jacks will disappear sooner than later.

Combine this with the analog outputs being disabled on most DVRs when there is an active HDMI connection and you begin to see the writing on the wall.

While modulated NTSC or DA'ed line level analog signals may have served you well in the past, don't depend on being able to do it for much longer.

The Din jack on directv was only necessary due to the size of the receivers getting smaller

Take it at face value.

Analog is becoming worthless. With everything going HD and the lack of cheap HD distribution equipment, doing things like back feeds are no longer worth the loss in picture quality.

I use the component outs and the red and white audio outs on my Hopper. I use the HDMI out and optical out in my Family Room to my TV and non HDMI receiver. I use a balun to transmit the component and audio signals on the back of the Hopper thru cat 5e to my adjacent patio to watch tv outside. Being the remote is RF, no problem changing channels.

The only problem I have is the audio. I prefer to put my receiver on A and B speaker out. That way I hear the audio thru my receiver to my Patio Speakers. Flat Screen TV speakers aren't very good. I then have to get up aim the remote thru the French Doors at my receiver to adjust audio. But usually once the audio is set, I usually don't have to mess with it anymore.

Is there really a difference with the F connectors? If they're outside and exposed to the elements I can see the difference. But at the LNB and indoors does it really matter? I've been using hex crimp forever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)