Please HELP..Making the Switch to D*

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

abooch

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Ok so I have comcast. Can D* hook up the dish to the existing cable that is already going from outside my house to the inside which the comcast is hooked up to now?. My dad does not want anymore holes drilled into the house for wiring.What would have to be done to the wiring inside the house? Also what would have to be done if I want to get one HD DVR, and one regular Hd reciever? Thanks for the help guys.. Oh and the existing cable is RG-6.

Last edited:
Ok so I have comcast. Can D* hook up the dish to the existing cable that is already going from outside my house to the inside which the comcast is hooked up to now?. My dad does not want anymore holes drilled into the house for wiring.What would have to be done to the wiring inside the house? Also what would have to be done if I want to get one HD DVR, and one regular Hd reciever? Thanks for the help guys.. Oh and the existing cable is RG-6.

Welcome to the forum.

Your best option is going with SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch). The problem with that is, it is new technology and isn't available to all area's yet. With this setup you will be able to tap into the cable box and use the existing wire into the home and use the coax already ran in the home. Each DVR would only need 1 line going to it.

You can find the SWM online from Weaknees or ebay. To get your HD DVR and HD reciever you could order directly from DirecTV or from Plasma Concepts. There are always deals going.

Search the forum for "SWM" or google "DirecTV SWM". There is alot of info available.

Hey thanks.. Is that all i need is the SWM-8? Is that placed on the inside or outside of my house? I don't think its available here but can i buy one myself and have the installer put it in or would i need to?

There are actually 2 options. The SWM8 which I would put outside as 4 lines run to it from the dish and then has 1 line out going into the home, or the SWM LNB which simply as 1 line from the dish into the home. I personally have the SWM LNB.

The SWM LNB has a limit of 8 tuners in use at any one given time and doesn't support older recievers. The SWM8 can be daisy chaned to allow many more tuners in use at one time and does allow older receivers to be used. You will have to decide what works best for you.

Personally, I don't know if the installer would install it or not. I don't see a resaon why they wouldn't though as it would save them alot of time. Being new technology, not all installers are trained it. If they don't install it, you could do it yourself. In my opinion it is easy to install the SWM setup.

Would you be able to give me a direct link to the SWM LNB? I know what the SWM-8 is but can't find the SWM LNB?

nice thanks one more question lol..is there instructions anywhere on what exactly i need to do i can't really find them..

both i guess..The SWM LNB and the SWM-8..heck do i even need an installers to come and put D* in or can I do it myself?

SWM LNB Option
1 coax line from the Slimeline dish SWM LNB into the home
Connected to Power Inserter
1 coax line from the Power Inserter connected to a DirecTV approved splitter
1 coax line from the DirecTV approved splitter going to each room/receiver

SWM8 Option
4 coax lines from the Slimeline dish connected to the SWM8 outside of the home
1 coax line from the SWM8 into the home
Connected to Power Inserter
1 coax line from the Power Inserter connected to a DirecTV approved splitter
1 coax line from the DirecTV approved splitter going to each room/receiver

The advantage to DirecTV doing the install is you don't need to buy the other supplies like the coax cable and will get a better deal on the equipment (dish and receivers) rather then getting it yourself.

Here is what I would do...

Call DirecTV, order your receivers and set up an install. Order the SWM and have it in hand for when then installer comes. That means you'll have to set up the install date a week or two into the future to allow shipping of the SWM. When the installer shows up tell him you have SWM equipment that you'd like to use. If he says no, thank him for his time and nicely ask him to leave without signing anything. Then at point decide if you want to attempt calling DirecTV again to set up another install or decide if you want to do the install yourself.

It is a new technology and not all area's have this equipment yet. Those area's whom don't have SWM yet might not be trained on the install steps.

I have also heard that they only use SWM when the number of tuners permits. If there is no need for SWM they will use the standard setup. If you have the SWM already purchased though, I think they will be happy to install it for you since it is saving them time and gets them to their next job quicker meaning more money in their pocket. I however, am not an installer though and have had DirecTV for years. When I made the switch to SWM, I did it myself with equipment purchased on eBay.

The rule that I've seen about when to get a SWM LNB is if there are 5 to 8 tuners being installed (example 1 DVR and 3 non-DVR =5 tuners). They do not install the SWM8 in residential installs, only multi dwelling units (apartments/condos).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)