Please Help ... R15 + FF = Problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scottzee

Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Is anyone else having trouble with the FF feature of the R15? If I FF X1 (one push of the button) everything is fine. If I hit it again (FF x2) it FF's like it is supposed to, but it won't stop fast forwarding. I can hit play, stop, etc. but it won't stop. It will go through about 45 minutes of real time before it finally stops.
Am I doing something wrong?

scottzee said:
Is anyone else having trouble with the FF feature of the R15? If I FF X1 (one push of the button) everything is fine. If I hit it again (FF x2) it FF's like it is supposed to, but it won't stop fast forwarding. I can hit play, stop, etc. but it won't stop. It will go through about 45 minutes of real time before it finally stops.
Am I doing something wrong?

NO (you are not likely to be doing something wrong!)
and
YES ( I am experiencing the same thing!)

The "work-around" that I found is to press the PAUSE button to stop the FF and then press PLAY. While this seems to be a bug in the R15, this is the best shortterm solution that I have found.

This unit has more than just that bug. I feel like a Dish Network customer.
This R15 needs some serious work yet. The lack of a 30 sec skip & dual buffer is terrible. It records EVERY show even if you input first run, it's slow to react on any change & it locks up & needs reset. This is a terrible purchase so far.

Similar problem here. Its a little slow to respond to the play button. Sometimes I have to hit it twice or pause to keep the thing from getting out of control.

Another big problem is that it doesn't appear to have any fast forward /rewind correction. When you hit play, it doesn't jump back a few seconds like UTV or TiVo.

Cheers

I have had my R15 since Fri. It has not locked up once and has only recorded the shows that I have told it to record even on the series links. So far the only thing that I am waiting on is the dual tuner buffer. I will miss the 30 second skip but I believe that is a TiVo patented item and is one of the reasons for the litigation between TiVo and E*. I doubt we will see that feature anytime soon.

davidrumm said:
I will miss the 30 second skip but I believe that is a TiVo patented item and is one of the reasons for the litigation between TiVo and E*.
It most certainly is not patented.
TiVo doesn't even publicize it. You need a backdoor code to even use it.
davidrumm said:
I doubt we will see that feature anytime soon.

You won't see it because D* is totally dependent on Broadcasters, and Broadcasters are dependent on Advertisers. Advertisers hate 30-sec skip. Thus, D* chooses not to include it.

It's the "Don't sh*t where you eat" principle.

Not valid for all channels. Movie channels in particular are fully supported by subscribers and if I wanted to jump over previews I am not allowed to. Very much like when I buy a DVD and I am required to watch a preview ugh.

My old UTV had a 30 sec skip ahead and I missed it when I got my first DTiVo (when the UTV bit the dust). After a while I got used to using FF with the integated compensation and even after I learned the backdoor code, I still find myself using the FF over the 30-sec skip. (It's less buttons to push for one thing).

What I miss now from the R15 is the FF compensation. I have to fall out of FF and use the back-skip to get to the beginning of the programming.

It's not a deal breaker for me, but I'd like to see compenstion added to the FF/ RWD keys.

mphare said:
It's not a deal breaker for me, but I'd like to see compenstion added to the FF/ RWD keys.

I am still using a UTV, and love that 30 sec skip ahead...but could get use to living without it...but they need some kind of way to make it a bit easier than having to dump out and jump back to get to the start of the scene.

mphare said:
What I miss now from the R15 is the FF compensation. I have to fall out of FF and use the back-skip to get to the beginning of the programming.

What is "back-skip" or how does it work.. goes back a few seconds at a time? or regular slow rewind?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts