OTHER Please Help with Low Quality Signal

Clayman

Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
Orlando, FL
I am a newbie here and was hoping someone could help me with a problem I cannot figure out. I recently returned from Brazil where my Dad gave me a FTA receiver and an universal LNB. I started looking online and decided to first check if from my location I could access some Brazilian satellites (namely 70W Star One C2). I decided to invest on a SatLink 6906 and also bought a 76 cm Ku band dish before I even did anything with the receiver. I have tried to follow all the information available online to position the dish and have spent several hours trying different things but I am unable to lock the signal. I cannot get the satellite quality of the signal to be higher than 4%. The Satlink strength signal varies between 80 to 90% the quality never goes above 4-5%. I don't have any major obstructions or anything like that.
IMG_0029.JPG

B elow is what I have tried:
1) Moved the satellite dish to different locations (higher, across the yard, etc).
2) Bought brand new R6 cable 25 feet
3) Entered an updated transporter 12340 h 29892 - signal strength up to 99%
4) Tried to connect to different satellites. Same problem (80% intensity 4% quality)
5) Tried realigning everything exactly prescribed by the pointer sites online

I am attaching pictures of my setup, LNB and Satlink. Thanks for your advise and feedback.
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Reactions: spongella
Star 1 C2 and C4 are South American beams.If you are in Florida you are out of the footprint.

Edit: IF that photo says 'Star one C2" as I believe it does...C2 only has C band in the clear.The few KU channels are scrambled.

Do you have the LO set to Universal or 10600?

Not sure that bird has a good foot print into the US.

I am a newbie here and was hoping someone could help me with a problem I cannot figure out. I recently returned from Brazil where my Dad gave me a FTA receiver and an universal LNB. I started looking online and decided to first check if from my location I could access some Brazilian satellites (namely 70W Star One C2). I decided to invest on a SatLink 6906 and also bought a 76 cm Ku band dish before I even did anything with the receiver. I have tried to follow all the information available online to position the dish and have spent several hours trying different things but I am unable to lock the signal. I cannot get the satellite quality of the signal to be higher than 4%. The Satlink strength signal varies between 80 to 90% the quality never goes above 4-5%. I don't have any major obstructions or anything like that.View attachment 113990
B elow is what I have tried:
1) Moved the satellite dish to different locations (higher, across the yard, etc).
2) Bought brand new R6 cable 25 feet
3) Entered an updated transporter 12340 h 29892 - signal strength up to 99%
4) Tried to connect to different satellites. Same problem (80% intensity 4% quality)
5) Tried realigning everything exactly prescribed by the pointer sites online

I am attaching pictures of my setup, LNB and Satlink. Thanks for your advise and feedback.
View attachment 113992 View attachment 113993
View attachment 113997
Welcome to Satellite Guys Clayman! Unfortunately, as others have said, the beam from 70W (C2) does not cover the continental US.
Appears there is a KU beam for 70W (C4) that covers Mexico and the US but it doesn't look like it has any FTA programming at present.
KU EUAM beam:
I believe there are some channels from Brazil on C Band but that would require a much larger dish setup. There are quite a few Brazilian channels available for streaming on lyngsat (http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Brazil.html). :)

Last edited:
Clayman,please post details of equipment you are using.Dish size,lnb name,receiver model,fixed dish or motorized,etc.
With that information some one here can better assist you. :)
An older receiver may be limited for what's up there today.If you are using any switches that would make a difference as well.
I know nothing about setting up a small dish myself.I'm still struggling with the big dish...but these folks here keep helping me learn. :clapping

:welcome to Satelliteguys Clayman.
www.dishpointer.com will aid in aiming. (where to point the dish)
To see what satellites/programming is available in the northern hemisphere take a look at TheList and/or Mikes list at MPEG Central. Another is www.sathint.com
Your dish/LNBF is capable of Ku band. Frequencies are 5 digits.

Maybe try an easy satellite to 'hit' 97W, G19. freq: 12152 polarity: H SR: 20000

"Quick' bit on aiming"
Set dish to elevation listed @ dishpointer.
Set skew to angle listed. When facing the dish, the LNBF is twisted CCW if the satellite is West of you. CW if it's East.
Watching the tune up screen, with a known active transponder selected, move the dish in small steps across the line dishpointer paints on the page. Wait a few seconds before performing another step. It may take up to 10 seconds for the receiver to 'lock' the signal and display Quality. If no Quality is attained, raise or lower the elevation no more than 1 degree and repeat. Once Quality 'registers' maximize the reading with even smaller steps L-R & up-dn.

I must be doing something wrong. I spent a couple of hours trying to get 97W. Loaded the Satlink with the TPS listed in Satbeam and yours but I cannot get aything higher than 4% for quality. This is what I have been doing for the elevation and azimuth: For elevation, I use the actual dish's markings and have the right side of the actyak bolt as my marking. In the case of G19 - first marking past 50 degrees (52.6 is what dishpointer is asking). I use the iphone compass for direction. I am actually laying the iphone on the arm of the dish until it shows me 216. I also downloaded a couple of free apps that you can see the satellite using the camera. I am at least in the right direction. I then move the dish very slowly up and down and side to side. Weekend is here and I am going to try again. If this does not work, any other suggestions?

Thanks

Clayman,

Welcome to FTA! You'll find this site excellent because of all the knowledgeable and helpful, friendly folks.

First off, 97W isn't the easiest satellite to find since there are several satellites in that region, e.g. 89W, 91W, 93W, 95W, 99W, 101W. Second, I had a WS-6906 for many years, and 4 - 5% signal quality is basically no signal quality. What I would do is get a compass pointing towards magnetic south and move your dish in that direction and make a mark on the pole as your reference point.Then look up what the magnetic azimuth is for 97W and point the dish in that direction. Make sure you have the skew correct too. Then move the dish up, down, left right until you get a meter swing using not that Satlink, but a simple satellite meter like the one below. Once you get a good signal on that analog meter do a scan, see what channels you are getting. Use those channel names to identify what satellite it is.You should have with you a printout of all the satellites and stations they cover. A good link is on Mike Kohl's site - http://www.global-cm.net/US KuBAND.pdf. Then make a mark on the pole again with the azimuth of the bird as a reference. Then you will have some idea of where you are.

Regarding compasses, if you have a liquid compass, make yourself something like below. Glue a compass to a wooden fence picket with the magnetic SOUTH pointing towards the pointy end of the picket. This will help you point the dish better. Remember to keep the compass not too close to any metal. It takes time. If you need immediate help feel free to call me at 908 237 1312. No charge, I do this for fun and to help others. I know what you are going through!

PS: Calls commencing with heavy breathing will be immediately disconnected...

Attachments

• meter muffler.jpg
    meter muffler.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 229
  • Photo 6.jpg
    Photo 6.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
I have a Pansat 3500 receiver when I hook this receiver up to the same coaxial cable that is on my hopper the signal on the Pansat is 0. Why would this be? Same cable I disconnect from hopper and connect to Pansat.

Because it's not connected to a LNB(F) which requires 13/18 volts to operate. Cable doesn't require any voltage supplied by customer equipment.
Hope your cable still works, doubt any cable company equipment likes being supplied with 18v, especially from the wrong direction.

Clayman,

Welcome to FTA! You'll find this site excellent because of all the knowledgeable and helpful, friendly folks.

First off, 97W isn't the easiest satellite to find since there are several satellites in that region, e.g. 89W, 91W, 93W, 95W, 99W, 101W. Second, I had a WS-6906 for many years, and 4 - 5% signal quality is basically no signal quality. What I would do is get a compass pointing towards magnetic south and move your dish in that direction and make a mark on the pole as your reference point.Then look up what the magnetic azimuth is for 97W and point the dish in that direction. Make sure you have the skew correct too. Then move the dish up, down, left right until you get a meter swing using not that Satlink, but a simple satellite meter like the one below. Once you get a good signal on that analog meter do a scan, see what channels you are getting. Use those channel names to identify what satellite it is.You should have with you a printout of all the satellites and stations they cover. A good link is on Mike Kohl's site - Then make a mark on the pole again with the azimuth of the bird as a reference. Then you will have some idea of where you are.

Regarding compasses, if you have a liquid compass, make yourself something like below. Glue a compass to a wooden fence picket with the magnetic SOUTH pointing towards the pointy end of the picket. This will help you point the dish better. Remember to keep the compass not too close to any metal. It takes time. If you need immediate help feel free to call me at 908 237 1312. No charge, I do this for fun and to help others. I know what you are going through!

PS: Calls commencing with heavy breathing will be immediately disconnected...

Thanks for your assistance. I bought the satellite finder at Radio Shack and a true compass this a.m.. After some trial and error, I was able to get a lock on 91.1W NIMIQ6. Lots of oriental Channels. Can someone confirm it is NIMIQ6 based on the channel listing (see photo below)? My Satlink does not have an updated list of satellites. It shows it as NIMIQ1 - 9.10W K. How do you update Satlink? Is there software to install new releases? Now I need to figure out where to move next to get to Galaxy 19. With all these satellites so close together, how do you figure out which one you are getting a signal and the right TPs that work with that satellite?

I plan to do some more scanning tomorrow and will report back.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 248
Thanks for your assistance. I bought the satellite finder at Radio Shack and a true compass this a.m.. After some trial and error, I was able to get a lock on 91.1W NIMIQ6. Lots of oriental Channels. Can someone confirm it is NIMIQ6 based on the channel listing (see photo below)? My Satlink does not have an updated list of satellites. It shows it as NIMIQ1 - 9.10W K. How do you update Satlink? Is there software to install new releases? Now I need to figure out where to move next to get to Galaxy 19. With all these satellites so close together, how do you figure out which one you are getting a signal and the right TPs that work with that satellite?

I plan to do some more scanning tomorrow and will report back.

Thanks again.
Appears you are actually on 95W (Galaxy 3C) so you are VERY close to 97W :):
http://www.lyngsat.com/Galaxy-3C.html

Because it's not connected to a LNB(F) which requires 13/18 volts to operate. Cable doesn't require any voltage supplied by customer equipment.
Hope your cable still works, doubt any cable company equipment likes being supplied with 18v, especially from the wrong direction.

So SISH network does not use LNB(F)s. Never knew that. Oh well.

So SISH network does not use LNB(F)s. Never knew that. Oh well.
Not sure where the confusion is. Yes DISH Network uses LNBFs, however there set-up is different from what the Pansat is wanting to see.
Two different technologies. Besides if it did work it would all be scrambled any way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)