OTHER Please Help with Low Quality Signal

Clayman,
You've made great progress. Your compass and RS signal meter are some of your most valuable tools. Most valuable is the brain.

As FTA4PA said, you are on 95W. You have to go a little more West to find 97W and adjust you elevation slightly. BUT....make a mark on your pole and satellite bracket where 95W azimuth was, just in case you get "lost." Also mark your elevation scale somehow as a reference. Tiny magnets are one way to do it.

As for finding out which satellites carry which programs again, print out the list of satellites with their stations for Ku (see comments from the others above) on the websites available; this will help you figure out what satellite you are on. It sort of like using the TV Guide in reverse.

My Satlink had no way of automatically updating transponders, you had to do it manually via the editing option. It had no software updates either, but check their website just in case. Yes some of the satellite names have changed (and possibly some of the transponder info) since that meter was manufactured, that's a fact of life, but you can add/edit the names and other parameters. It is still a great little meter, especially in your case when you are working on the roof.

One sign that you have locked on to 97W is the number of transponders that starting scrolling on the screen. Keep up the good work, you are very close.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I am a newbie here and was hoping someone could help me with a problem I cannot figure out. I recently returned from Brazil where my Dad gave me a FTA receiver and an universal LNB. I started looking online and decided to first check if from my location I could access some Brazilian satellites (namely 70W Star One C2). I decided to invest on a SatLink 6906 and also bought a 76 cm Ku band dish before I even did anything with the receiver. I have tried to follow all the information available online to position the dish and have spent several hours trying different things but I am unable to lock the signal. I cannot get the satellite quality of the signal to be higher than 4%. The Satlink strength signal varies between 80 to 90% the quality never goes above 4-5%. I don't have any major obstructions or anything like that.View attachment 113990
B elow is what I have tried:
1) Moved the satellite dish to different locations (higher, across the yard, etc).
2) Bought brand new R6 cable 25 feet
3) Entered an updated transporter 12340 h 29892 - signal strength up to 99%
4) Tried to connect to different satellites. Same problem (80% intensity 4% quality)
5) Tried realigning everything exactly prescribed by the pointer sites online

I am attaching pictures of my setup, LNB and Satlink. Thanks for your advise and feedback.
View attachment 113992 View attachment 113993
View attachment 113997
clayman you can get reach star one c4 I'm trying install here in san diego ca but i have the same problem here no quality. if you can help me please

Clayman,please post details of equipment you are using.Dish size,lnb name,receiver model,fixed dish or motorized,etc.
With that information some one here can better assist you. :)
An older receiver may be limited for what's up there today.If you are using any switches that would make a difference as well.
I know nothing about setting up a small dish myself.I'm still struggling with the big dish...but these folks here keep helping me learn. :clapping
Hello my friendI'm trying install one antenna in san diego ca zip 92117 90 cm univeral lnb to get the same satellite and i have the issue no quality you can help me my email is ricardocosta25 at gmail dot com

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello rick 36. Welcome to the group! :welcome

I have never set-up a small dish before but there are many members here who can surely help you.I suggest starting a new thread asking for assistance. List all info concerning type of dish, lnb, receiver, switches,etc to get the most pertinent information for your system. Good luck!

Reactions: FTA4PA
Welcome rick 36! Not sure from your post if your were trying for 70W or 97W. If 70W it's footprint is not available in the continental US (see my post #8 above). Otherwise, as armadillo_115 said, it's best to start a new thread listing your equipment and what you are trying to get. :)

I will ask, and am asking, for a moderator to modify the email address posted above so that it's not collected by robots with the intent to spam. maybe just replace @ with (at)

No need to email you, we'll answer all your questions in the new thread you start. so that they may be beneficial for others. We'll be looking for it.
After 6, I think, posts you're then able to upload pictures. Sometimes pictures explain more than words are able to.
Welcome to Satelliteguys rick 36!

Reactions: beavs2112

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts