PLEASE HELP WITH MY NEW HOPPER AND HDD

BK94541

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
San Francisco
BEFORE install the Hooper today i asked some few people here ...can i use MY HDD was using it with my 722s to Hopper to play contents inside my HDD, every one said yess ... NOW Hopper install & when i connected my HDD t to HOOPER , on External harddrive icon ..is NO way i can play my HDD just says transfer TO...
NO ONE in tech support can help me,they says only works with ur old 722 boxes NOT on this ..i just pissed & now got screwed BIG time after i asked many people & they says yes U CAN play ur HDD WITH HOPPER,then get rid of my 722s after 5 years having it
is anyway?/???
thanks

Calm down. You may want to wait a few days for your Hopper to download everything correctly before you freak out. I've had my EHD hooked up to my Hopper for a while now. I know I can access my recordings on there just fine, I'm just not sure if I've tried transferring them onto the Hopper though. I've never felt the need to since I can just access them off the EHD.

OK i'll wait then ,installer connect my 5 tuner hopper to 3/HD tvs and left he said he dont know nothing about HDD ..BUT loove the HOpper till i found out coud'nt connect HDD pissed me off!
Ok i wait, U said FEW DAYSSS???? my GOD is tooo damn SLOWW .. ok anyway i'll wait ,then i try
ok thanks :)

you don't use the menu external hard drive icon to view the recordings on the external drive.

press the DVR button on the remote then on the line that displays the red "my recordings" next to that will be a selection displaying the "name" of your hopper. choose that dropdown menu and one of the selections you can choose will be "external device 1" choose that it will display the recordings on the external drive and you can then choose the one you want to watch.

Reactions: ChadT41
N0qcu
I dont see that in DVR "my recording" drop down ..says about deferent recording DVR stuffs and all nothing says as device one or 2...well maybe not yet
I'm gonna wait till tomorrow ,let the system cooked up and get updated it thro the 24 hours circle , coz just installed few hours ago , will try it around tomorrow afternoon, then if i see anything as u say
But thank you

It's just to the right of "my recordings" in gray. Will say your hoppers name. Highlight that, click it, and you will see the EHD

My EDD is NEWEST model Element 3TB WD 3.0 USB.. BUT HOPPER reads it, like how much GB in it & space an all ...BUT is no where i can click on to see the MY EDD content list & I DONT SEE THAT GRAY THING in that DVR part next to my recording yet
maybe see it tomorrow!!! i will update this

EHD needs At LEAST one overnight update to work properly with your Hopper, relax, take a deep breath as has been recommended by others, it should work. I have 2 that were first connected to 722 receivers, then first gen Hoppers, then Hoppers with Sling - both are working just fine. Yesterday I transferred full seasons of several programs, all are watchable from the EHD.

You have been on this forum a long time. Think about it - if people here who have Hoppers and use EHD's tell you it will work if it came from a 722 (or most any VIP receiver - but not the 211) then it will work. It is well known you have to wait at the least 24 hours and more for some things to work correctly after the install and it was mentioned as osu1991 points out in the other thread. It's likely some other features may take at least 24 hours also.

As long as it is self powered, USB 2.0(if 3.0 it must be backwards compatiable to 2.0), 50gb-2tb, and single disk drive. If any one of these three things aren't there, it can cause troubles(after the initial 24-72 hours).

Reactions: Tampa8
When you first connected the HDD you didn't say "yes" to reformat, did you?

Dish has never claimed that 3TB drives will work. They say 2TB. The problem is likely that the directory allocation for 2TB of half-hour shows already is exceeded. More longer shows would be more appropriate with big drives. Put shorter shows on smaller disks. The nominal limit is about 1000 shows. (I have some with 1500 but they take a while longer to load at startup.) Note you can have up to 4 drives loaded but only the first 2 numerically can be accessed through the button next to "My Recordings". The others can only be used in the Menu + External Hard Drive + External Device (1 to 4). After a reboot, the order and numbering may/will change. Again only #1 and #2 can be used for playback. Use the others for transfers.

Sometimes the drives may not show up. Either un-power the drive and re-power it or use the new Yellow + Diagnostics + Reset to not have to get out of the chair--lazy man's reset. Quicker than waiting for the overnight reset and easier than pushing the red button on the Hopper.
-Ken

here is a screen image.

Attachments

• capture_20140919_042509.jpg
    capture_20140919_042509.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 226
My EDD is NEWEST model Element 3TB WD 3.0 USB.. BUT HOPPER reads it, like how much GB in it & space an all ...BUT is no where i can click on to see the MY EDD content list & I DONT SEE THAT GRAY THING in that DVR part next to my recording yet
maybe see it tomorrow!!! i will update this
To repeat what was said before (but perhaps unclearly)... When in DVR, you will see a menu tab along the top that says "Living Room", or whatever/wherever you have designated for the Hopper name. Click THAT, then you should see your EHDs.

Thank you VERY MUCH guys ,i just let the box settle down around 24 and the first update last night...now i see everything in EDD and plays VERY WELL
thanks again to all of U ...U guys was a BIG HELP! :clapping

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts