Please post pictures of your setups so we can see them

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Iceberg,
That pic was taken the first really warm day (50 degrees) of this year, we finally completely melted out about 2 weeks ago.

n4bbq, those names just seemed to fit ; )

If you can get a Birdview by all means go for it. These are great dishes. I have one I got from a friend at work, but I don't have it up yet. Anyway, it's a very nice dish and built like a tank. They tell me these work great on both C and Ku band and since they are solid aluminum as opposed to mesh they work fantastic for Ku.

You probably are going to have to do conversions to it to make it work for FTA, and it might cost more than $50, but based on what I've heard it's likely going to be well worth it. One thing you'll need to do is get a new feedhorn and LNBs. My understanding is that the original birview LNB uses an odd LO frequency and produces an IF output that's only good for the old birdview recievers. I may be wrong about that but you'll likely want to replace the feedhorn anyway with one that has both C and Ku capabilities like a Corotor II or something similar. There are a couple of ways you can do this. One is by having the hole in the original scaler ring machine out a tiny bit so that a newer feedhorn will fit into it. Then drilling some holes through the side of the ring for set screws to hold it. This might be bit more complicated and involve a bit of engineering on your part. The easiest way is to simply purchase an adapter plate. Skyvision sells such a plate.

Also, you'll need a magnetic wheel and reed switch conversion kit for the motor if you plan on using it with any other reciever than the original one. This kit can also be purchased from Skyvision. Basically, it's just a magnetic wheel and a reed switch. It's overpriced and you could probably make one yourself cheaper, but the hard part would be finding the magnetic wheel.

Well I finally got the photo from the student. This was a rooftop in Nice, France. They are big in FTA in Nice, eh?

Attachments

• fta_nice.jpg
    fta_nice.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 252
My new setup

I thought it was finally time to post pics of my setup. I got the LNB from pete, and the motor and dish from Sadoun. Fortec 90cm dish with U-bolt mount, STAB HH90 motor, and invacom QPH-031 circular/linear combo LNB. generic diseqc switch (which needs to be weatherproofed... a job for duct tape.)

The other dishes are a dish 500 pointed at 110/119 and a dish 300 pointed at 61.5 for the voom pack.

the roof is slanted in such a way that the stabilizer arms would not stabilize, so I put a brick underneath one of them. eventually I will have to go back up there and put another brick under the other one. but the brick that is there now solved a slight lean to the left. that brick was the difference between a 45 and a 90 quality reading on my true south sat (105)

the original mount that the white pole is in came from my older winegard 30". the pole from the winegard was too short for this larger dish, so I had to modify the fortec pole by drilling an extra hole.

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 169
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 152
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 140
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 133
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 127
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 113
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 128
  • P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 130
Here is my setup. Only one 36" dish on a custom made mount, on the roof of my garage. The mount is strong and plumb, I don't think the wind will affect it, even at 12 feet.

Pics quality is bad, it was too late...

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)