Please Read: Uplink Report Update by Scott

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
In my daily email of stories from TV Week, last Thursday or Friday, there was a story about MGM signing agreements with 7 cable operators. It mentioned that they had an agreement with DirecTV but there was no mention of any agreement with Dish.

Damn kstuart. You have to be in politics. When you post something and someone calls you on it. You dance around just like a politcian.:rolleyes:

NOT.

I ignored the specifics that my post was about MGM-HD and Smithsonian-HD and your post was about Fishing and Tennis - because I don't want to get into "gotchas".

It's not political - there are not two sides.

Well they will probably have E3, E6 and E8 unused once AMC-14 and E11 are in place. The question is will they move the old satellites to new slots (like they did with E5). They currently have 2 slots licensed for broadcast into the US that are unused, 77 and 86.5. E3 could move to 77, yes 4 TPs but that would still give them a lot of room. Perhaps E6 or E8 or both could move to 86. There are lots of possibilities.

I am not sure why you think Dish would be limited to use only 4 TPs at 77 W with a move of the E-3 satellite to 77 W. I believe Dish only has 4 TPs activate at 77 W because of limitations with the E-4 satellite because of failures. I think 77 W has greater possibilities in the near term than the 86.5 W slot because the FCC has already approved it for use by Dish in the U.S. unlike the 86.5 W slot. There maybe rumors that Dish has an agreement from TeleSat for use of the 86.5 W slot but there is nothing in FCC filings that indicate that. The 77 W slot can also be used in tandem with 61.5 W slot using a modified D1000 dish. The real question is how good of coverage will any of Dish's existing satellites provide from 77 W and will they be limited because of their need to cover Mexico as well. The E-3 satellite is probably the best option since it was designed for 61.5 W. I am also not sure if coverage will be limited to the southern part of the U.S. to avoid interference with Canadian DBS slots at 72.5 W and 82 W but this would at least allow 77 W to be used for HD locals for southeastern cities.

I am not sure why you think Dish would be limited to use only 4 TPs at 77 W with a move of the E-3 satellite to 77 W. I believe Dish only has 4 TPs activate at 77 W because of limitations with the E-4 satellite because of failures. I think 77 W has greater possibilities in the near term than the 86.5 W slot because the FCC has already approved it for use by Dish in the U.S. unlike the 86.5 W slot. There maybe rumors that Dish has an agreement from TeleSat for use of the 86.5 W slot but there is nothing in FCC filings that indicate that. The 77 W slot can also be used in tandem with 61.5 W slot using a modified D1000 dish. The real question is how good of coverage will any of Dish's existing satellites provide from 77 W and will they be limited because of their need to cover Mexico as well. The E-3 satellite is probably the best option since it was designed for 61.5 W. I am also not sure if coverage will be limited to the southern part of the U.S. to avoid interference with Canadian DBS slots at 72.5 W and 82 W but this would at least allow 77 W to be used for HD locals for southeastern cities.

I meant that there were 4 TPs out on E3, but perhaps E4 could fill in some of them, but the coverage on E4 is not the best, E3 probably would hit more of the US since it came from 61.5 vs 110/119 area.

Dish's main problem right now is the NE. Heavily populated with large DMAs, yet cannot see 129 very well. They are also close to Canada, so can Dish point something from 77 or 86.5 to them without causing Canadian problems?

Too bad they cannot move E12/R1 over to 77 for spot beams. This would solve a couple problems. Spot beams to keep interference with Canada down, and make 61.5 a full slot to have all the national HD for the NE/East.

Do I have to spell out every detail of the Satellite TV business with every post ?

Other reasons for adding channels:
- They are paying Dish Network for carriage
- They sell things and give Dish Network a percentage
- They are required to be added by agreement (in order to get other channels or in order to get a better total price)
Its funny how customer's REQUESTING them didnt make your list!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts