Please Read: Uplink Report Update by Scott

I agree if you pay to be a member you should see some exclusive content and I am ok with that, however it was posted on the frontpage that if you wanted to know about this NEW info you had to sign up for membership. Why post anything at all unless you are trying to pad the satguys bank account. If info is only available to pub members then those members will see it, without a sales pitch to the other non paying members of the site. A cheap tactic in my opinion and judging by the original post of this thread others thought the same thing.
Thanks to all who work to make this site available but this time around a bad decision was made.

I agree with drbenson on this. It sounds like to the normal people visiting this site that you are trying to get them to give you cold cash in exchange for information. I don't agree with this either. It's cool that people support the site by paying a small annual fee to help the site going, but this way it sounds like you are begging money from everyone in exchange for information. I'm sure it leaves a bad taste for many people.

I agree with drbenson on this. It sounds like to the normal people visiting this site that you are trying to get them to give you cold cash in exchange for information. I don't agree with this either. It's cool that people support the site by paying a small annual fee to help the site going, but this way it sounds like you are begging money from everyone in exchange for information. I'm sure it leaves a bad taste for many people.

Did people also have bad tastes in their mouth when they were taking advantage of the penny cinemax deal or the dish holiday offers? This site is a wealth of information and most of it is free for the taking. People contribute their knowledge and experience to help those with questions/problems. People need to stop complaining and deal with the fact that this information was released first to pub members.

Possible new HD next Weds? (2/13)

Hi everyone!!

Tonight when I went to watch the Sonics at Kings on ch.409 (five minutes before the game, on the HD feed) there was a message on the screen informing me that on 2/13, the CSNWS feed will be available next to the standard definition channel. Currently, the HD feed is for games only. I guess it is going to expand to 24 hours next week. The message said I needed to adjust my timers. With the findings in the Uplink Activity, could this be a hint as to when other new HD channels could be coming??

I appreciate that it has been said many times that you should not join just to get rumor information, that you should join to support the site. However, like a few others, I have been a bit put off how the pub members seem to be dangling the secret information they have over our heads, saying that if we were pub members too, we could see it.

Anyhow, I do really like this site and have been here off and on for a while now. I'll keep coming back as long as I'm welcome... :)

Tonight when I went to watch the Sonics at Kings on ch.409 (five minutes before the game, on the HD feed) there was a message on the screen informing me that on 2/13, the CSNWS feed will be available next to the standard definition channel. Currently, the HD feed is for games only. I guess it is going to expand to 24 hours next week.

I am seeing a similar message in the guide for FSN North HD (386). However, when I look to 2/13 and beyond in the guide the HD version (mapped down channel 436) still only shows the games in the guide and off air the rest of the time. So it does NOT appear that the channel will be 24 hours starting next week. At least for FSN North HD.

I am seeing a similar message in the guide for FSN North HD (386). However, when I look to 2/13 and beyond in the guide the HD version (mapped down channel 436) still only shows the games in the guide and off air the rest of the time. So it does NOT appear that the channel will be 24 hours starting next week. At least for FSN North HD.

I would kill for FSN Bay Area just during Warriors games... no need for 24 hours a day. But someone told me that Comcast bought that channel and will likely never sign to allow Dish to get it.

There is always the DBSforums:D

System table information is broadcast on every transponder. The way the system works is when you tune to a transponder, the receiver reads the tables and uses them to determine if it needs to retune to another TP if you change channels etc. Some transponders have additional information, such as the 2 day EPG, and the 10 day EPG. Others contain the firmware update streams to update the receiver firmware.

It is also possible to uplink video and audio without any pointers to them in the tables. To access those streams, one would have to manually define their own table. I would suggest doing a google for the DVB standard for more info, which is what Dish uses. Since it is a standard, software has been written to parse the tables and translate the bits into meaningful information.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

My take is that it looks like E* does have room for a certain number of HD additions on their current birds prior to, and following this reconfiguration they're undergoing. They're apparently in negotiations with NBC Universal and others, as you'd expect any TV provider to be - contrary to the simplistic views that "E* has no pulse left", or "Charlie is too cheap or out-of-the-loop to care about what his customers want", etc. E* doesnt spill the beans..we know this...we are free to whine about it, but prob isnt going to change...

I believe that E* knows how many HD channels they can realistically add before these birds launch. I suspect they're building at least two HD channel expansion plans - the first would be the channels they add in 2008 if no new birds were to be in place, in the event of bird launch delays, and the second is which channels to add with the expectation that they will have incremental bird capacity throughout 2008.

The HD channels they add are probably going to be a hybrid of the two plans, erring on the conservative side.

If they added all the channels that many people on this site are demanding and maxed out their capacity now, what would they do about the channels that become available later this year that people will be clamoring for, and that they may have contractual obligations to carry?

I came to E* cause my cable company didnt have ESPN2HD, but now they do. Sure, D* has about 15 HD channels that I'd really like to have, but my 750gb external drive is maxed out and my 320gb is getting close, so I could probably put my service on vacation till spring with all the really cool recordings I need to catch up on.

Even before the rumors this week, I had confidence that E* would prod along and add more HD, and I still do.

Last edited:

I disagree...Like any good businessman, he's trying to make it worth your while to support the site. Although the site may be "free" to you, it isn't to him. Sponsors don't provide THAT much cash flow, so he needs the extra money to keep the lights (and server) on.

If you can't or won't help out, then the information will come out a few days later. Hardly a hardship.

Think of it like PBS. Yes, they are begging, but they wouldn't be able to do what they do if they didn't.

If several people have seen several additional HD channels in the clear, there must be room for it.

I wasn't aware of that; however, it really depends on what one means by "room" (don't you love these discussions?).

IF DN has contractual obligations to air channels that aren't broadcasting yet they may need to set aside that spare capacity, or they may need to keep it in reserve in case something "breaks" (technical term).

Frankly, though, I agree with you. They have the capacity to air some more national HD but simply aren't because the segment of their subscriber base that is clamoring for it isn't important enough to them. They'd rather engage in extended contractual talks to make it look like they're a low-cost alternative when in fact they'll eventually charge more or less the same as other services that have already added the channels.

Originally Posted by Gib4500

There is always the DBSforums:D

Now doesn't that sound like, if you don't pay up you can always leave.:eek:

Originally Posted by Gib4500

Now doesn't that sound like, if you don't pay up you can always leave.:eek:

Whatever!!!!!!! You could always spin it this way: You can afford to pay for your big screen TV, you can afford to pay for your HD service, but you can't afford a dollar and some change each month to support your main source of information on your HD? Give me a break!!!! Secondly, Scott already said that almost all info in the Pub becomes public, so get over it and pay 20 bucks to support the site if you must know what you're missing!!!!!

Same kind of thing happened on another forum I used to belong to when he started charging. "Is it right or is it wrong"? I think for the sake of everyone here and the site, if you have a problem with the charge, talk to Scott directly, comments, good or bad, should not be aired out here.

Scott is not charging everyone, only those that want to join to help offset the costs. If you don't pay, you don't get access to a couple of message boards here, and you don't get early access to a few rumors. If you do pay, you get that, and Scott gets some financial help on keeping this board running.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)