Plugins on azbox?

putney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
St Louis, missouri
Getting settled with my Elite now. So it's time to venture into plugins and Cas. If there is a better place to post this, please let me know.

I'm not sure what Cas does, or if it applies to N. America, but I remember a post about a USB keyboard plugin. Is there a place online (english) that has definitions for the listed plugins (in Maz)?

I was also wondering about fonts. I see that the latest version 3686 has a font setup menu, but only has 'system font' as an option. Is this handle with a plugin? On my old azz TV that I use for scanning, the font is squished and hard to read.

Is it possible to access this box remotely and get into the system folders?

Thanks in advance-

I'm not sure what Cas does, or if it applies to N. America, but I remember a post about a USB keyboard plugin. Is there a place online (english) that has definitions for the listed plugins (in Maz)?

I believe CAS is an acronym for conditional access service. Not much use to us here. Nobody gives a card out in North America as far as I know.

I was also wondering about fonts. I see that the latest version 3686 has a font setup menu, but only has 'system font' as an option. Is this handle with a plugin? On my old azz TV that I use for scanning, the font is squished and hard to read.

That font option has been in there for a while, if not always. It does adjust the font and font size system wide.

You can access that remotely. If you have it the AzBox set up on your network you can use a program called PuTTY to log into the box from your PC. You would enter the AzBox's IP, username is 'root' and whatever password you set on the receiver.

PuTTY is available here: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

I've got my Azbox set up to use one of my servers as a file server with NFS (faster than Samba/Windows filesharing) to play/record movies across the network. I set that up by logging in remotely.

If you don't have your box set up on your home network and need some help just ask.

Last edited:
That font option has been in there for a while, if not always. It does adjust the font and font size system wide.

I can't seem to get it to do anything. After pushing the blue button(installation) is says it can't find the file. No other buttons have any affect.

You can access that remotely. If you have it the AzBox set up on your network you can use a program called PuTTY to log into the box from your PC. You would enter the AzBox's IP, username is 'root' and whatever password you set on the receiver.

PuTTY is available here: PuTTY: a free telnet/ssh client

I've got my Azbox set up to use one of my servers as a file server with NFS (faster than Samba/Windows filesharing) to play/record movies across the network. I set that up by logging in remotely.

If you don't have your box set up on your home network and need some help just ask.

Yes, I have Linux (Dream), XP, Snow Leopard, setup on a network. I have putty as well. I just couldn't find a 'share' option on the Az. Guess it's wide open?

My main computer is my mac. I'll load Putty into Parallels and see what happens.:up

Only thing about the GOGO list it isn't entirely accurate for North America.

MaZ is much better for setting things up, in North America. Just my opinion.

I use Maz as well. I'm still have channels disappear from time to time going from Az to Maz. I found that I can download Az to Maz, then save dat file, and open that with AzBoxEdit and all of the files will be there. I can then organize and upload to the Az from AzBoxEdit. Maz really hates PBS HD East! :confused:

The GOGO is just quicker than scanning, and makes a good starting point. Is there a place to upload to the GOGO server? [A private server with wild feeds could be cool.]

Any info on plugins?

Thanks-

Last edited:
My main computer is my mac. I'll load Putty into Parallels and see what happens.:up
Any FTP Client will give you access.

I can't seem to get it to do anything. After pushing the blue button(installation) is says it can't find the file. No other buttons have any affect.
"I think" you have to copy a font to the AZBox first, then activate it.

PuTTY is available here: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
Is there any advantage to using this putty thing? Ie I just use the Hyperterm that comes with Windows, and that works fine. I do use a separate FTP program (WSFTP and/or SmartFTP) instead of Windows FTP however. But I'm curious whether putty has some advantage over Hyperterm?

I'm curious how you did this, and I'm also curious whether there is any increase relative to the bitrates of video that you're able to play?
My Roku uses samba type file sharing (I think), and if I remember right, the highest bitrate it could handle across the lan was around 27 mbps, although I think newer firmware improved this a bit. However when it would receive a stream instead of grabbing it from a share, it could handle in excess of 40 mbps, basically never saw a rate too fast for it. So this NFS filesharing sounds interesting. But I'm also interested in perhaps some way of getting the Azbox to receive a stream. Seems like some of the Azbox applications involve getting streams off the internet, so it seems like it should be possible to simulate this over a lan, possibly making it a bit more efficient and able to exceed the 20 mbps cap???

I've always wondered if this so called 20 mbps "cap" on the bitrate was really intentional or if it just happened to be the fastest rate that the Azbox happened to be able to play? Ie I've never seen any URLs posted indicating that Azbox really did this intentionally, but that seems to be the common opinion.

In order to get diferent font, you have to google for free TTF fonts and copy them to USB stick. From setup menu you can add new font and set it. After rebooting new font will take effect.

Yes, I have Linux (Dream), XP, Snow Leopard, setup on a network. I have putty as well. I just couldn't find a 'share' option on the Az. Guess it's wide open?

I don't have an AZ yet, so I don't know for sure if it has an SMB server. It may just have a client. But I know I've seen people say that it has an FTP server.

"I think" you have to copy a font to the AZBox first, then activate it.

For FONTS, you have to load a font style to a USB drive and then go to the setup menu to load it from the USB. Once it is set, I believe that it will be the only option available in the settings menus. Unless they have updated that so that you can store multiple fonts within the box itself. The procedure may have been updated since I used it last. You may be able to set it via FTP.

One of the fonts that was recommended to me for viewing the menus and channel names did not greatly improve how easy it was for me to read. I still had trouble detecting two adjacent number "1"s such as in a TP frequency.

I have forgotten how to set this font up exactly, since I decided not to use it and leave it at default.

RADAR

Thanks in advance-

The best program to use to do this is FileZilla. It is straightforward and also freeware.

From the European forums, FileZilla is usually the most recommended. This is what I use personally and it is really simple to navigate, configure and use. Also, it is in English.

The FTP program is what you should concentrate on the most right off. With this you can easily access any file or folder within the AZBox from your PC. I backup my satellite, transponder and channel data this way as well as transfer recorded programs to my PC for editing.

Some of the other FTP programs that the Europeans are using are adopted from other Linux boxes and I find them confusing as many of the options or actions are not valid for the AZBox. The DCC (or DreamBox Control Center) is one of them.

RADAR

Last edited:
Regarding PLUG-INS, there are a few that may be of interest.

SudoQ (Sudoku) and Chess if you like games. These are quite good, much better than any games that come stock with any box, but minimal in skill level of the game itself.

Livefeeds (which is kinda neat just to play with but serves no purpose to N.A. as it finds only wildfeeds from Europe. It doesn't play the video, just provides a snapshot and then gives the sat/TP information to be able to find the feed yourself). This would be a really excellent perk if set up for N.A.

LiveCam (which will bring in still images from webcams on the internet - but kind of lame in my opinion. It is isn't a streaming video webcam, so it doesn't seem very good).

I may not have these last two correct regarding what the name of the plug-in is, but it is something close and obvious.

RADAR

Fonts

regarding fonts;

I put both .otf and .ttf font files on a thumb-drive. Reboot is necessary to remount the drive.
Thanks!:up

BTW..New Problem, perhaps I should start a new thread, but I'm trying not to litter the forum with Az related stuff.

At some point while transferring between Az and Maz, my Channel list shows up greyed out. Sats are fine. Motor settings are fine. I have to rescan the sats and then it adds them as a new channel.

example: RTN East (grey) RTN East (white, active)

Regarding PLUG-INS, there are a few that may be of interest.

SudoQ (Sudoku) and Chess if you like games. These are quite good, much better than any games that come stock with any box, but minimal in skill level of the game itself.

Livefeeds (which is kinda neat just to play with but serves no purpose to N.A. as it finds only wildfeeds from Europe. It doesn't play the video, just provides a snapshot and then gives the sat/TP information to be able to find the feed yourself). This would be a really excellent perk if set up for N.A.

LiveCam (which will bring in still images from webcams on the internet - but kind of lame in my opinion. It is isn't a streaming video webcam, so it doesn't seem very good).

I may not have these last two correct regarding what the name of the plug-in is, but it is something close and obvious.

RADAR

Any Remote desktop plugins/options?

azbox remote

To answer my own question..

I have found an Az remote ( not remote desktop)

Good if you loose your remote, I guess. The screen does not stream but does screen captures. Again, I'm using it in Parallels on a mac. I might boot XP native later and see if it performs better.
It uses the FTP port for control.

Here is a link that I upped. You need to open the config file in a text editor and change IP, Log, Pass if needed.

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-02 at 2.57.26 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-11-02 at 2.57.26 PM.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 247
  • Screen shot 2009-11-02 at 3.24.26 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-11-02 at 3.24.26 PM.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)