pointing a slimline with a tandem suunto

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nitram

Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
hello i am putting in a slimline tomorrow in a very wooded area.
but i believe i can get a signal.today i purchased a tandem suunto and i have never used one before.
woul anyone know what i would need to be within on the azemuth and elevation?:)

Uh, besides the expensive compass (had to search that one), we can't give you a measurement without your location, zip, etc.

Remember to aim a slimline, you'll need a 20 degree window min.

i am in 62626 the azemuth is 197 and elevation is 43 so i would asume with a 20 degree window i need to be clear of trees from 207 to 187 on azemuth would i still need a window for elevation like 33 to 53

i am in 62626 the azemuth is 197 and elevation is 43 so i would asume with a 20 degree window i need to be clear of trees from 207 to 187 on azemuth would i still need a window for elevation like 33 to 53

Kinda...if you got the correct settings for the 5LNB dish from a HD receiver based upon your location, you will need 5 degrees to the east and 15 degrees to the west . So if the 101 sat is at azimuth 197, you will need from the 192 to the 212 minimum. From the 190 to the 215 would be a better window.

For the elevation, the lower gives you more time before the trees will grow up to block your signal. The signal actually comes in from much higher than the 43 degrees that the dish is pointed to, you will need more clearance on the high end.

Suunto's are great becuase you can use them to line in a single sat and set the dish without ever having to use a meter as long as your mast is plumb and your dish isnt warped, I went a whole day without a meter and only had a suunto to do the install with and never went below %96 signal on the dish 61.5.

You've got a good idea about giving yourself a large window of play to work with around the tree's in the case of wind sway. If the gap your looking at is small then it would be best to find the sats on either side of the dish and then the elevation of the lowest bird to determine if it will have any issues with the tree's.

but i believe i can get a signal.today i purchased a tandem suunto and i have never used one before.

Could you get by with a SL3 99/101/103 LNB? Much narrower view required.

with your zip code you can use this link.......Satellite Azimuth And Elevation Position Calculator
or this link..... Free Hostia: Value web hosting package get look angels for each ijndividual satellite. If you cannot f=dtermine the actual satelite name, it's ok.....DTV's core sat is at the 101 deg orbital slot....the secodary slots are 99, 101, 103 ,110 and 119 degrees..I believe the three sat slimline (anyone chime in for a clarification)dish looks at 101, 110 and 119....I think....The 5 sat looks at all 5 mentioned above...Just to be safe. Shoot your line of sight assuming the range of all 5..

Hey Guys, New here... Ive been reading quite a bit and cant figure out my problem.
I am trying to point my slimline 5lnb AU9. All i can get is transponders 22 thru 32 to have a signal even as high has 98, but 0's on everything else. What am I doing wrong.

thank
you
Mac

Hey Guys, New here... Ive been reading quite a bit and cant figure out my problem.
I am trying to point my slimline 5lnb AU9. All i can get is transponders 22 thru 32 to have a signal even as high has 98, but 0's on everything else. What am I doing wrong.

thank
you
Mac

Which sat are you getting these readings on, and what are your signal strengths on the other sats?

thank
you
Mac

That sounds like you are pointed at 119 instead of 101.

i am pretty sure im on 101, i get the signal reading only from the 101 no other sats.. if i am on 119 how can change that which direction to i need to move..

If the 101 LNB is pointed at 119, the receiver may think it is on 101. You probably will need to move the dish between 20 and 30 degrees to the east, depending on your location. The elevation will probably need to be adjusted also. Did you use the angles given by the receiver for a 5 LNB dish (these are relative to magnetic north, not true north)? You can check them at http://www.dishpointer.com.

yea that makes sense i will have to try it... I did spin dish around never got anything. will have to play the my elevation i guess. all my numbers match the reciever i tried the angles given on dishpointer and still got nothing but better strengths on transponders 22 - 32... i think i am on 119. but still get nothing 101 any advise to help get something on 101????

yea that makes sense i will have to try it... I did spin dish around never got anything. will have to play the my elevation i guess. all my numbers match the reciever i tried the angles given on dishpointer and still got nothing but better strengths on transponders 22 - 32... i think i am on 119. but still get nothing 101 any advise to help get something on 101????

If you're in the western part of the country, the 101 is lower in the sky than the 119 so if slightly flexing the dish down increases your signal than your on the 101. If not, then you're pointing at the 119 or the 110.

If you're in the eastern part of the country, the 101 is higher than the 119 so the opposite is true.

i will be giving it shot. I am on the west coast. and when lowered i got a better signal, but i am over and 20 degrees to the east and makes sense that i am on 119. I am going to try the dishpointer settings and maybe a little lower.. any other little tip would be awesome. by far the most difficult dish i have ever pointed.. very sensitive... any will help thanks so much..

mac

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Getting Direct TV with no subscription

Acutrac III+ readings?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)