pole hole size

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lil Chris

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Kansas City North
I got the pole, woo hoo, I'm getting closer to my dream of satellite surfing :D.

What size hole is appropriate for the pole that my 10' mesh dish goes on? The pole is 3"x10'...

Thanks

I got the pole, woo hoo, I'm getting closer to my dream of satellite surfing :D.

What size hole is appropriate for the pole that my 10' mesh dish goes on? The pole is 3"x10'...

Thanks

If you can get 3.5' to 4' in the ground, with 16"-20" hole diameter, that should be sufficient, unless it is a sand-type soil. If there is any clay and rock you will be fine.

Also, weld or bolt some kind of tab/bolt/rebar/metal scrap to your pole a foot or so off the bottom, that should keep the wind from spinning it in the concrete.

Thank you for the info, that's about what I figured. I just wanted to make sure.

It's a solid type soil, so I should be good there and we already put the bolts into the pole so it won't spin.

I have 10' Perfect 10 dish that I am about to mount. Is 3" the correct pole diameter or is 3.5"? Can I use 4" and adapt it down to 3 or 3.5? My friend has 4" pipe he can give me for free. Thanks.

Can you post a pic of your mount, where the pole goes into, so we can see the type of mount?

My mount measure 4" outer diameter. Here is the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    525.3 KB · Views: 159
you'll need to measure the inside diameter of the mount. Make sure the outside diameter of the pole doesn't exceed the inner measurement of the mount.

Commenting on my 8 1/2 foot Birdview solid. My prior big dish was an 8 foot solid. I got the 3.5 inch mast from the local scrap yard. Since I was mounting it on the roof, I attached it to the side of my house by making a hole through the eaves.

There is one long rebar in the mast, and three "L" shaped rebars out the bottom. I went maybe 18 inches down, and I filled the 16 feet of the mast with concrete.

The Birdview has a 6" pole, and I only got five feet of it. After taking the old dish off, I slipped the 6" mast over the 3.5 incher. I used bolts tapped into the masts to get it plumb. I filled the Birdview pole with concrete too.

Anyway, of course I was worried that such a shallow footing would work, so I didn't tighten way down on the mounting bolts. I figured in a high wind, the dish would spin, not the footing. I marked the position with punch marks.

In four years, I have had to bring the dish back to the marks just once - this past spring. We had a really major windstorm. But that was the first and only time I had to do do it.

The footing depends on your situation. I fully recognize that a free standing dish out in a field of sandy soil will present its own issues.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)