Pole mount specifications for new dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

colofan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
Loveland,CO
Does anyone have a link for providing what a pole mount would be for the new dish?

I live in a fairly cold climate and I don't want to wait for the rollout to occur in January and not be able to have the upgrade because the ground is frozen.

Help pointers? FAQ on the subject?

colofan said:
Does anyone have a link for providing what a pole mount would be for the new dish?

I live in a fairly cold climate and I don't want to wait for the rollout to occur in January and not be able to have the upgrade because the ground is frozen.

Help pointers? FAQ on the subject?

You will need a 2" O.D. pole. It is hard to find, I tried Home Depot & Lowes. A 1.5" I.D. water pipe is about 1.9" O.D., but I do not know if that will work.

Also you will not have to worry about getting an AT-9 dish til about March/April. By that time, the ground is warming up nicely unless you are up in the foothills or mountains. In last week's earnings call, CEO Chase Carey said that the rollout of the 1st 12 DMA's will be delayed some, with some DMA's bumping into next year. Denver is in the 2nd 12, so start of Q2 is when we will see it. That's when I gave up on my 2" O.D. pole hunt.

Don

I'm having the same problem finding a 2 inch pole. I've been to two Lowes, a Home Depot and a local hardware store that sells chain link fencing, but no luck. They all have 1 5/8 or 2 3/8 and nothing else.
I did find a company about 35 or 40 miles away that sells chain link fences and they said they have them. We'll see.

I doubt you'll ever find a pole with an EXACT OD of 2". As you undoubedly discovered, pipe and tubing have a nominal (or trade) size that differs form the exact size.

Here are some commonly available materials with with both their nominal and (exact) OD's

Rigid Conduit - 1-1/2" (1.90")
IMC Conduit - 1-1/2" (1.90")
Black Steel Pipe, Sch 40 - 1-1/2" (1.90")
Steel Fence Post, SS15 - 2" (1.90")
Steel Fence Post, SS20 - 2" (1.90")

Tom J

little dish guy said:
The manual is apparently an early preliminary one that was for training purposes. Can’t they get hold of the current version to post on their site?
Bob

I agree. If you look carefully you'll see two different AT9 dishes, one with the fine elevation adjust on the inside and another one with it on the outside. Not to mention the graphics of the triple LNB and its predesessor displayed throughout. Time to create a NEW manual.

You're just not looking at the right place.

Home Depot and Lowes only sells residential chain link fence parts and pipe.

You need to look in the Yellow Pages under commercial chain link fences.

Commercial chain link fence post are much stronger than residential. It's at least 12 gauge or 1/8 inch wall and heavily galvanized. Commercial chain link line posts are exactly 2.00 inches in diameter.

Mike500 said:
You're just not looking at the right place.

Home Depot and Lowes only sells residential chain link fence parts and pipe.

You need to look in the Yellow Pages under commercial chain link fences.

Commercial chain link fence post are much stronger than residential. It's at least 12 gauge or 1/8 inch wall and heavily galvanized. Commercial chain link line posts are exactly 2.00 inches in diameter.

Here is a site with what you are looking for.

http://www.hooverfence.com/catindex.htm
Check page 20 for SS20 and page 22 for SS40.

Chip

The reason that they went to a 2 inch actual pole has nothing to do with pipe made in the USA.

Since most dishes are now manufactured in China and Taiwan, it is metric tubing, which is 50 mm actual. That translates to almost exactly two inches, since 25.4 mm equals one inch.

Powder coat it, and it's exactly two inches.

sfollenius said:
I have a 2 3/8" fence pole from lowes and it works fine. The clamp on the dish is adjustable, unscrew all the way and it fits great!

You have an AT-9 5 LNB dish in North Carolina?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)