Policing of The Pit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I missed it also, scratched my cornea and everything is fuzzy. Hell it is pretty hard to read as it is today, damned bright ass monitor. So what happened?

BTW please just send me a pm about what happend as it is difficult for me to read thru threads to find the answer. As it is I am typing with my eyes shut. Hey is my spelling and grammer any better with closed eyes?

Last edited:
I don't think I like this road. First, Scott says he's going to instruct the mods to crack down on OT stuff and threadjacks, now he says maybe the Pit's time has passed, Hummm this place is starting to sound JUST like DBSTALK. Think it could be that Management is trying to get closer to Directv and THEY don't like how things are done here? Some of us CAME here because of things like the Pit, and not kissing any provider's butt, and the more laid back way of doing things. Making Satelliteguys just like DBSTalk, you know, soft,pillowly, and devoid of all meaningful dissent, might just make me rethink re-upping my pub membership. :)
hmmm maybe Scott is thinkin $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and cashin out

Scott, I know you are on vacation, but when you get back can you withdraw mod privilages to the Pit from mods that don't hang in the pit?

I have no problem with mods that know about the place and hang there enforcing the rules. I am more than fine with that. And the pit is my home.

But when some newbie mod shows up and excercises their mod privs in an attempt to , , never mind, then it gets covered up, that sucks for this site.

Your site is great.

Been here since the inception of VOOM!!

Love that you have a place for us to hang.

It just sucks that that crap happened tonight.

I agree.

Everyone loves Bob. ;)

I dont know maybe we should consider closing the pit for good. We have tried keeping it open, but if folks cant follow the rules and then question the staff who are enforcing the rules then maybe there is no longer any need for it.
Your staff has never consistently enforced a uniform set of rules in the Pit. Seems like for some reason, maybe a mod or two got their little feelings hurt or some non site mod and now they want to play Pit Furher. Its ridiculous to now threaten closure when the nature of the pit is a result of failed moderation in the first place. The best course of action would be to just leave it alone and keep mods out especially when the Pit is responsible for over 107,616 posts on the site. You would rather close it than to merely correct an overzealous mod?.

Last edited:
Let's please not close the PIT!! There are a number of good suggestions in this thread that can solve the perceived problems. I understand Scott's frustration, seems he can't go anywhere without sh*t hitting the fan somewhere around here.

NightRyder

Pit moderator needed (from the pit membership)

With the recent closed threads by mods who never frequent the pit, and the complaints that have resulted, perhaps a solution would be to have a moderator chosen from frequent pit visitors. That way we won't have threads closed for non-issues.

And if need be (due to balance), one from the right and one from the left.

We have tried keeping it open, but if folks cant follow the rules and then question the staff who are enforcing the rules then maybe there is no longer any need for it.
I'm sorry Scott, but that sounds like a DBSTalk statement. The "question the staff" is straight out of JL's playbook.

There are mods who post in the pit from time to time, and don't bring down the heavy hammer. Even you have said in the past the rules are different there.
A solution is to have pit mods, either long time respected members who go there, or current mods who go there.

Since I actually visit the pit and have a grasp of most of the regulars style. I'll volunteer to be one of the assigned Pit mods. At least that way Vurbano won't have to edit his post when he asks me if I am on crack:D
I second his nomination. After all, can't go wrong with a tech fan. :up

GT c/o '93 BSEE :D

I'm sorry Scott, but that sounds like a DBSTalk statement. The "question the staff" is straight out of JL's playbook.

There are mods who post in the pit from time to time, and don't bring down the heavy hammer. Even you have said in the past the rules are different there.
A solution is to have pit mods, either long time respected members who go there, or current mods who go there.

No it isn't. The staff here are all volunteers who dedicate a lot of time to this place. When one of the staff makes a moderating decision, it is not acceptable behavior to simply open multiple threads challenging their decisions.

The staff has discussions about almost everything we do; every reported post has a discussion thread; anytime there is a closed thread, there is a staff thread that discusses why it was done.

The Pit is one forum in a very large site; it is not free from the rules of the site. And name calling -- referring to each other a sh#$ head and the such, may be in good fun, but it still violates the rules of the site.

And the problem is compounded when a "unfit" thread or post is moved to the PIT from another forum.. With it comes people not familiar, nor care to be, with the protocol and strong ties in the PIT. Understandably, they get all pissy and upset when a regular slaps em a bit in a friendly joust...We have often said, "If it ain't fit there don't bring it here". If its that important for a poster to make a "off" post then inform him he has been deleted and to take it to the PIT. Bethcya he don't come...
And another thing.. What is this Off Topic stuff? We abide by the rules of liquidity or fluidity. Nothing stays the same and topics shift and drift . Who cares? I have seen threads with 2 to 3 different debates going on at once all stemming from the original subject. It a Non Sequitur and a non starter.. We don't care.. Why should a MOD. Just so he can show authority and throw his weight around ??

By any of OUR standards the exchange between Jonstad and RJ was benign as usual and not in any violation of the protocol that I can see. I was ready to jump in too with some of my own epitaphs about the anti war crowd. Have you Mods ever read some of the stuff Jon and I say to one another?? :eek: He was a 60s militant anti war hippie and I was a Vietnam Warrior.. Next year, if I get out to his island, we expect to hob nob about for a day or so... Check out the "wild life"..:D

Like My good friend Steve said.. There are more deletions and closings on other SAT Guys Forums than here. Then it just follows logic that they be closed down completely too. The fact that some Barnie Fife type newbie mod got over reactionary about nothing he knows about and made a gross error by pulling his weapon, and shooting his one bullet no less, and other mods had to come and stick up for him because someone questioned his actions about the arbitrary illegitimate closing is what made this into a federal case.

Up till the closing and then the rush to protect the closer there was no problem... Not between Jon, RJ or anyone else in the PIT.

I, don't know if you actually have access to the PMs between members. It would absolutly frighten you to see the friendly tenor of conversations and Commroderie between us.. We do often talk to each other on the side. Las Vegas isn't the only one with "what happens here stays here" sensibility. There is no one angry here folks. Nothing to see.

The Pit is one forum in a very large site; it is not free from the rules of the site. And name calling -- referring to each other a sh#$ head and the such, may be in good fun, but it still violates the rules of the site.
Then why the disclaimer to even enter?
Warning the Pit is not for everyone! If talk of politics and religion offened you then the Pit is not for you.

However if you think you can take the heat of The Pit then CLICK HERE
I have no problem with rules being policed, as long as they are policed consistently.

The Pit should have no moderator. If you do not like the way someone addresses you then either deal with it or turn them off.

Last edited:
No it isn't. The staff here are all volunteers who dedicate a lot of time to this place. When one of the staff makes a moderating decision, it is not acceptable behavior to simply open multiple threads challenging their decisions.
What do you expect when the decision is unfair and any discussion is forbidden and closed down... I don't know how to break this news... We are the PIT for God's sake .Thats who we are. Thats what we do.

Like I said, nothing personal, but I think some mods are more full of themselves than others. Some remind me of Funky Winkerbean and the hall monitor with a Thomson Sub... Or James Long...

Mistakes were made, lives were lost ;). Why not just roll everything back, unlock the thread that shouldn't have been closed, cleanup the resulting fallout and let everyone get on with their business before more unnecessary damage is done. :)

NightRyder

The solution is not to start a million other threads about why you are ticked off the thread was closed. As I said in PM, you should have sent a PM to ke4est or to Scott voicing your concerns.
The solution is not to close threads either leaving everyone wondering why.

Since I actually visit the pit and have a grasp of most of the regulars style. I'll volunteer to be one of the assigned Pit mods. At least that way Vurbano won't have to edit his post when he asks me if I am on crack:D
You know I do not mean that you are actually smoking it. Just that a statement sounds so wacked out... its just a comparison.;)

Most threads run their course. I agree that a moderator chosen from those who frequent the Pit would be the best course. Any moderator not used to The Pit would tend to overreact. For the most part, The Pit participants know the boundaries. If they're crossed, other Pit participants usually band together to police the Pit. Though a moderator may not really be necessary, if someone from The Pit volunteers to do the job, I say that's the best course. The Pit is a great outlet for satelliteguys visitors to vent about various subjects, make good friends and talk about satellites too. It's a great place and it would be a shame to close it because of a single "incident" which to seasoned Pit visitors would seem like "nothing".

By the way, I just read the thread that was closed by a moderator. Like I said in my earlier post, this thread would have run its course. In my opinion, the moderator was just overreacting. As most people here know, I'm a lawyer. In the courtroom, we fight for our client's rights. But when court is closed, we same lawyers may go out and share a beer. It's the same with the Pit. Nothing will come from the "infighting" in the Pit. It's merely dialogue that sometimes gets heated. In the end, we all share a love for satellites and have a kindred spirit that we share with our bretheren.

worse has been said and nothing comes of it, and we move on. I can understand wanting a line not to cross in conduct and decorum. I think the report link should be turned off in the pit if possible. Moderation is needed and expected. If someone follows the progression of threads they would know when someone is really breaking a rule and when not. There are few times in the 4 years I have been here when someone really deserves a slap on the wrist. Most of the time you put them on ignore before it get to that point. When no one responds the reaction they are looking for disappears....and soon they do too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)