Poll: Fire Stick or Roku?

Fire Stick or Roku?

• Fire Stick

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Roku

Votes: 27 79.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have several Roku TVs and a Roku stick they are the best smart TV interface I have ever had. Of course they are the only smart TV I have ever had. They do every thing I need and 10 times more except provide an actual web browser.

Not to change the subject, but nVidia has the Shield Pro for $199.00
Wasn't that like like $350 or something?? Did they drop the price that much or am I missing something?

Not to change the subject, but nVidia has the Shield Pro for $199.00
Wasn't that like like $350 or something?? Did they drop the price that much or am I missing something?
No that was the launch price of the 2019 version. Perhaps the earlier ones were more expensive? I picked some of my Shields up over the holidays while they were on sale at $20 off which is the best I've seen it get.

Reactions: HipKat
There are new AndroidTV boxes coming out with hardware support for AV1 that people should consider as well, like this one:

There are new AndroidTV boxes coming out with hardware support for AV1 that people should consider as well, like this one:

Q: Can it play 4K Netflix?

A:By now, MECOOL TV boxes don’t support 4K from Netflix, but support on other apps, for example, YouTube 4K. The mobile version of Netflix can be installed via U disk, but the resolution is only SD

Also says nothing about what audipo formats it supports.

Q: Can it play 4K Netflix?

A:By now, MECOOL TV boxes don’t support 4K from Netflix, but support on other apps, for example, YouTube 4K. The mobile version of Netflix can be installed via U disk, but the resolution is only SD

Also says nothing about what audipo formats it supports.
I wasn't endorsing any product. I was pointing out that AV1 support is starting to show up, and used that one as an example.

No that was the launch price of the 2019 version. Perhaps the earlier ones were more expensive? I picked some of my Shields up over the holidays while they were on sale at $20 off which is the best I've seen it get.
I saw one on Amazon for over $300 but it came with a game controller

Split decsion here. I much prefer the Ruko interface. But it can't play media on my local LAN because it's almost all mpeg2/DTS. My FireTV Sticks can.
That's exactly the reason I have the Fire TV Cube. It has replaced my Popcorn Hour (also known as Cloud Media) Media Player to play media from my NAS storage. It is actually better at playing 4K media without stutter than the 4K VTEN Media Player from Popcorn Hour. I have the Fire TV Stick too, but the Cube is more powerful and better at playing LAN media. To play the media I use VLC player app on the Fire TV Cube, which can easily access and play the media over LAN.
I also use Kodi a lot on the Amazon Fire TV Cube, along with Amazon Prime content.

Reactions: TheKrell

Attachments

• 1611663291238.png
    1611663291238.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 144
Compared to other threads, this is a minor detour. Just curious: what do you plan to do that requires the Pro version over the $150 "tube?"
Oh, the gaming, for sure. So I'll have to get the controller separately but overall, for $50.00 more, why not get the best?

Reactions: ncted
Gotta go with Roku. The firestick along with all the any of the "fire" products have much too much advertising and other distractions on the screen. That said, I keep a firestick, power supply and remote in my bug out bag. There are times where it comes in handy while stuck in a hotel somewhere. Did I mention that my firestick was FREE? ;)
I bought my first Roku LT in 2013. I think I bought my first Firestick in 2018. I find I use the Firestick more these days. Some apps are only on the Firestick including Dish Anywhere. I still have Dish and Dish Anywhere has dozens of free apps connected with Dish. Both have good points. That is why I each one.

Reactions: TRG
Just a data point for one esoteric function:

Last night, I could not get my Tribit BT headphones to work with either my ATV4K or my NVIDIA Shield Pro, so I had to resort to using my FS4K to watch TV after my wife went to sleep.

The ATV4K wouldn't play video when the headphones were connected, and the Shield Pro would send no audio to the headphones. It did not matter which appI used, the results were the same. Multiple reboots did not fix the issue on either device. The FS4K worked like a champ though.

That said Disney+ was still laggy, and I still really dislike all the advertising.

Here's another one. Peacock and ATV4K do not get along smoothly. Have to take extra steps to R and FF. Easier on Roku. BUT in all fairness, the Peacock interface completely sucks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts