• Poll closed .

fred555

Pub Member
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 18, 2014
77W
How do you feel about FT8?
Useless mode to cheat to get meaningless QSOs?
Great way to rack up Contacts quickly?
Don't care, rather have a slice of apple pie?
Explain.

I hear too many complain about FT8. I been a ham for almost 30 years now. I was in on the early days of packet radio, when it was as hot as FT8. I heard so many hams(that have been in the hobby a long time) complain about it the same as FT8. Those same guys now, use packet/APRS and digital modes like DMR....and use it heavily and advocate for it. It ain't real if you ain't talking. Also, would listen to those same guys brag at all the CW contacts they made?? Human nature is to complain, and I will say more so now than ever, as people are not raised with the morals they once were.
So, if you want to use FT8 go for it. If not don't, but don't bash others that enjoy it. Ham radio is evolving just like everything else. Old timers(by this I mean the same as above, not old in age, just been a ham a long time) state when need more youngsters in ham radio. At the same time they want them to do that riding a horse. Those fancy new cars are just stupid.
These youngsters are raised on tablets and smart phones, you want them in, let them bring the new tech with them. They will find there way into the rest as they explore ham radio more.
Fred, don't let people bother you. Do, what you enjoy! The bullies will fall to the way side, especially if you ignore them and move one with life. :)

I hear too many complain about FT8. I been a ham for almost 30 years now. I was in on the early days of packet radio, when it was as hot as FT8. I heard so many hams(that have been in the hobby a long time) complain about it the same as FT8. Those same guys now, use packet/APRS and digital modes like DMR....and use it heavily and advocate for it. It ain't real if you ain't talking. Also, would listen to those same guys brag at all the CW contacts they made?? Human nature is to complain, and I will say more so now than ever, as people are not raised with the morals they once were.
So, if you want to use FT8 go for it. If not don't, but don't bash others that enjoy it. Ham radio is evolving just like everything else. Old timers(by this I mean the same as above, not old in age, just been a ham a long time) state when need more youngsters in ham radio. At the same time they want them to do that riding a horse. Those fancy new cars are just stupid.
These youngsters are raised on tablets and smart phones, you want them in, let them bring the new tech with them. They will find there way into the rest as they explore ham radio more.
Fred, don't let people bother you. Do, what you enjoy! The bullies will fall to the way side, especially if you ignore them and move one with life. :)
My thoughts pretty much... do what you want as long as your having fun and not hurting someone else. I have a blast with WSPR from time to time, not really even making a QSO in that mode but just like to see the random places my signal travels.

As an official old coot I don't view anything involving a computer to be real ham radio but that's just me. If someone else wants to use it that's fine, no skin off my nose, so to speak. If it boosts your enjoyment and keeps you in the game that's a plus. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts