Poll on Hopper problems

How big of a deal are the problems you have found with the Hopper 3?

• Total voters
I'm guessing Review Trailer loads an app or something. I've always found with Dish that the apps are very slow to get working properly. This isn't just with the Hopper systems either, I would have issues with apps going back to the 622. Many times trying to use the weather app would freeze up the receiver or trying to play some of the crappy games they had.

Yup, and almost every app I've tried freezes my Hopper 3 including the Weather app. So I've learned to just not run apps. I didn't know that review trailer might have been an app. Guess this will have to wait until the next firmware release.

I'm in the no regrets camp. Only thing I've encountered was the black screen with the small picture screen once but I actually used to have that happen (rarely) before the H3. What worked then (and did now) was just turn off the receiver and turn it back on. Also when I tried to reorder my timers I found after you move one and save it you need to back all of the way out and start again with the next one otherwise it either doesn't take or puts it in the wrong place. Not giving that a second thought because now that I've combined and resorted my timers from my previous 2 HWS I'll probably never even have to do that again.

I'm either lucky or tolerant. Either way I love what I see so far.

Reactions: Scherrman
Got mine installed yesterday afternoon, took little over an hour as I had everything unplugged & ready to go. No issues, tech had done several H3 installs & seemed better informed than previous installers were with the H1 & H2 - he came from a different office 2hrs away, maybe it trains better. No issues (had been using 203 on my 2 H2/WJ setup so I was already familiar with Carbon). All went better than expected, no crashes, reboots, etc so far. 1 H3, 1 wired Joey, 1 wireless Joey. I had him take the old receivers (already had everything transferred) & he left the older remotes when I said I still wanted to use them. All in all a 2 thumbs up experience. Let everything sit for a few hours & info downloaded, seems to be working OK - the suggestion to be patient & let it do it's thing was a good one (thanks Patrick S.!)

Reactions: Scherrman
I agree. I would suspect that Dish will also be forthcoming very quickly with a software update including some fixes on the major quirks. A lot of these things understandingly probably go undetected until the product is "in the wild".

I would think Dish will have some fixes very soon but it's all going to depend on how fast they can fix the bugs. I imagine Vivek is on their butts about getting all these bugs taken care of.

Reactions: Patrick Smith
Scherrman, not seeing where anyone has mentioned the nightly update. I know there are no user settings, but I'm not seeing the normal message, is it possible the H3 is aware I'm actively watching, & now won't interrupt till it's turned off (or not recording)? Watched till 3 last night & saw nothing. Would really be a bonus for all customers who have been complaining for the past 4+ years.

Scherrman, not seeing where anyone has mentioned the nightly update. I know there are no user settings, but I'm not seeing the normal message, is it possible the H3 is aware I'm actively watching, & now won't interrupt till it's turned off (or not recording)? Watched till 3 last night & saw nothing. Would really be a bonus for all customers who have been complaining for the past 4+ years.

I'm not sure on that one yet. I'm never up late enough to see it. I usually fall asleep with my receiver on and when I wake up it has the standby screen on.

I found a new one that I never encountered before.

Now that searches are working, some shows when you pull them up will say Record, Watch or View Trailer.
I tried 'Review Trailer', swirling App starting animation and then black screen of death.

Nothing on the remote would work, nothing on any remote would work, Power Off wouldn't work.
Only way back was a Red Button salute.

So for now, if you see a Review Trailer, I'd stay away from it.
I had the exact same thing going and rebooted it as well. After reboot I tried the same trailer again and it worked.

Reactions: bookworm370
Haven't seen anyone post about "missing" fast forward speeds yet. The 4x forward and one of the slow motion speeds (1/15 I think) no longer shows up when using either the 40 or 52 remotes.

Haven't seen anyone post about "missing" fast forward speeds yet. The 4x forward and one of the slow motion speeds (1/15 I think) no longer shows up when using either the 40 or 52 remotes.

I don't miss them too much because I almost always use the skip buttons.

I have had zero issues that would make me regret my upgrade. I went from a 622/211 to a H3 and two 4K's, so a three room setup, and I could not be happier. I have not experienced any major bug, like the black screen issue or PQ issue, nor have I had to reboot on a regular basis since it was installed last Friday. Everything for the most part has been smooth.

As I posted in another thread, all of my channel logos were downloaded within a few hours of the install, and honestly if I had to think about it, I think they were available immediately after everything was setup. On day 2, I had all of the logo art for the home screen populate (trending now, VOD, the sports/movies tabs, etc), as that was the only thing missing on day 1.

The ONLY bug that I had was the first day, and that was when I pressed the apps button during the guide download. The apps loaded up, but when I pressed back the sound went out and the system froze. I had to restart the H3 to get the sound back, and everything was back to normal, but suffice it to say I did not bother with the apps until the second day, where when I pressed the button everything worked loaded up and worked fine, no sound or video loss.

All new products have bugs, be it software or hardware. Software bugs are resolved fairly quickly, especially by the bigger companies. No product that is released is ever bug free. Everyone will always find something that affects their user experience. Hardware issues are also easily resolved, either by an RMA or a warranty claim, hell even a return and get your money back if you are that unhappy.

I think its extremely fair and responsible to point out bugs, and have a list of things that users are experiencing in the hopes that they can get resolved or the community can find a workaround until it does. This is part of being a consumer. But I think its unfair to say a product is faulty and full of bugs especially if you don't own one and you are just going off what others are saying. Its one thing to take into account what others are saying, its another to generalize. And I also dont believe that the majority of the people in this forum would downplay issues just to save face. Based on what people are posting, it doesn't seem that way. I definitely would not.

I have not seen more than one person commenting on the PQ issue (I think its the thread on the H3 HD quality). I also dont see "everyone" exiting a guide and having it freeze and then rebooting. I have read about the black screen issue where the pip gets stuck somewhere on the screen, which is definitely a bug and annoying. There are a few niggling issues but I don't think they are overwhelmingly critical.

I think its perfectly fine to wait to buy something while the bugs get worked out, but I would get a clear idea of how widespread the issues are first, and whether they are actually debilitating to the point where it renders a product useless before making a final determination. And if someone did end up getting one now, and it doesn't work out for you, can't you just return it within 30 days? That's what I would have done.

From all the complaints on here about it I can't imagine it staying there long. I would bet Dish has it gone the next time they send out new software.
It should be an OPTION. The Home Screen may be of tremendous help to new Hopper subscribers. However, like the TiVo Central screen being tremendous thing that makes using it "easy", after learning how to use the DVR, TiVo Central can become a PITA obstacle. It is probably the same feeling by those who already know the Hopper product and its shortcuts.

Reactions: peggy97850
The only reason yours truly is waiting is because Dish does not yet allow more than one H3 per account. I'm willing to wait and let the bugs be worked out and use the forthcoming switch that will allow multiple H3's in the home and not have to have 4 reflectors on the roof. However, I can hardly wait for H3's to come to my TV land. I could have used those extra tuners several times sor far this month alone. I keep having to lose my LIVE tuner to allow for recordings.

My home screen still shows dvr shows that i deleted a week ago!!! And when you click on them hopper freezes so you need to reset it again. Fun.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts