Poll: Which 2012 payroll is the biggest waste of money?

Which team's 2012 payroll represents the biggest waste of money?

• Philadelphia Phillies

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Boston Red Sox

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Los Angeles Angels

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Miami Marlins

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AntAltMike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
Code:
2. Philadelphia Phillies: $174,538,938  W56-L65 (10th best W-L of 16 teams)

3. Boston Red Sox:        $173,186,617  W59-L62 (9th  best W-L of 14 teams)

4. Los Angeles Angeles:   $154,485,166  W62-L60 (8th of 14)

7. Miami Marlins:         $118,078,000  W55-L67 (11th of 16)

Last edited:
I gave some thought to including them because Detroit revenue is much more elastic than is the revenue in Boston and Los Angeles. The Red Sox, and possibly the Angels, can miss the playoffs in successive years without experiencing the degree of revenue decline that an underperforming Tigers team incurs.

Fortunately for Detroit, they have easiest remaining schedule of any contender, with 25 out of their 41 remaining games against teams with losing records.

The Orioles, on the other hand, have 29 games remaining against teams with winning records, versus just 12 against losing ones.

Last edited:
I dunno why I just think it has to be the red sox.The phils are trading some of their top players off and,Boston seems to be in much more disarray.

The Marlins situation reminds me of something Charlie Finley said when he started unloading his underperforming stars. He said if I'm going to lose, I want it to be with $30,000 a year ballplayers. I just don't believe that a baseball team in Miami will ever be financially viable as a big spending team.

When it comes it the Marlins... they ENTIRE team slumped and had a ton of injuries. A lethal combination. The ONLY guys that have produced at a rate that they was supposed to was Stanton and Reyes. And one(Stanton) was hurt and alot during spring training(he really needed spring training because he is a notoriously slow starter) and the other started SOOO slow that I was afraid he would not hit "El Caballo" weight of .240. LOL!

The upside to all of this is the Marlins did not spend Red Sox, Phillies type money. They were barely at $120 million. Which I think is middle of the road in the grand scheme of MLB payrolls.

The Marlins upside is that their IS still talent there. And the kid they got from the Dodgers, Eovaldi and the catcher they got from the Tigers, Brantly, look like they are the real deal.

So considering the money the OTHER teams spent, in some case more than $50 million dollars more.... they aren't that bad.

The red Sox are certainly dead in the water. Having said that i am not entirely sure that the problem starts and stops with high salaries. That is the only reason I hesitate to pick them.

The Red Sox. They have more individual wastes of big salaries than any other team. Not only that, they're a very unlikable team.

Considering injuries, lack of production, or money eaten in trades, it has to be the Red Sox. Look at the cost of these guys:

Code:
Carl Crawford	        $ 20,357,142
Josh Beckett	        $ 17,000,000
John Lackey	        $ 15,950,000
Kevin Youkilis	        $ 12,250,000
Daisuke Matsuzaka	$ 10,333,333
Bobby Jenks	        $ 6,000,000

Considering injuries, lack of production, or money eaten in trades, it has to be the Red Sox. Look at the cost of these guys:

Code:
Carl Crawford         $ 20,357,142
Josh Beckett          $ 17,000,000
John Lackey           $ 15,950,000
Kevin Youkilis        $ 12,250,000
Daisuke Matsuzaka     $ 10,333,333
Bobby Jenks           $ 6,000,000

I think that Beckett and Lackey were signed for contracts that seemed reasonable for players at the stages of their careers they were at when they were signed, and Jenks was what I call a 50-50 signing. There was a 50% chance he would return to form and be worth twice what he is being signed for, but a 50% chance he would be worth nothing. A wealthy team can afford to take that gamble. The Red Sox also gambled on Miller, Aviles and Ross this year and have done well with all three. When you go into the bargain bin, you win some and you lose some.

"Disrespecting" Ortiz by signing him to a one year, $14 million contract now looks brilliant. They'll get about fair value for what they paid him but now he is a broken down plow horse, meaning we won't have Ortiz's contract to kick around on this forum next year.

I have criticized the Crawford contract previously here and elsewhere for a few reasons. One is, the sabermetric gurus who produce charts that I have never taken the time to fully fathom were certain that Crawford's hitting pattern was extremely unfavorable to Fenway. I'm not sure how much stock to put into that because of course, he would be pitched different here than he was elsewhere and would presumable make different swing decisions. But the other was, as I saw it, he simply wasn't a $20 million x 7 year value anywhere. He's good, but not that good.

The Youkilis contract was hard to avoid, though I would not have given it to him if had been the GM. He had become the "heart and soul" of what, historically, has usually been a heartless and soulless team, but I really thought that he was already playing above his head and regarded his early career declination to be likely. And as far as I am concerned, Dice-K is costing the Red Sox 18 million dollars because the $50 million posting fee is at least internally expensed over the length of his contract. I remember when he went 18-3, he did it with smoke and mirrors. He became the first pitcher in 100 years to win 15 more games than he lost while giving up over five walks per game.

Fortunately, the Red Sox can and probably will put together a "pre-season" contending team next year without spending much money. Figure that Bailey will be installed as closer any day now, then Aceves becomes a starter, along with Lester, Morales, Doubront and a fifth starter can be anyone: Cook, Bard, Beckett, or even the next reclamation project, as Miller might even want another shot at starting. They've again done well in the bargain bin with Ciriaco, and this other 3rd baseman they recently acquired named Valencia finished third in the Rookie of the Year voting in 2010 and managed to lead his team in RBI last year. He might just have needed a change of scenery.

One other aspect of the Lackey situation is that they had the foresight to add a unilateral, $500,000 2015 option year into his contract to compensate them in case he lost a year to elbow injury, so we will have the name John Lackey to kick around here for years to come.

Last edited:
How come the mets aren't on this list?
Don't get me wrong being a Yankee fan I dislike Boston just as much but the mets are just a waste. :eek:

I would say the Phillies and Boston.

Boston has no excuse for being the sad a** team they are right now.
Some for the Phillies, look at all the big players each team had or Has this season.

They are both a waste, Thank you Cliff lee, for taking that pay cut to go with the Phillies instead of the Yankees. Because you flat out suck!:coffee

Last edited by a moderator:
'The Red Sox. They have more individual wastes of big salaries than any other team. Not only that, they're a very unlikable team'

I couldn't agree more! and I am a life long Red Sox fan. It's a shame what they turned into this year. I still watch and listen, but..... What a waste of money

'The Red Sox. They have more individual wastes of big salaries than any other team. Not only that, they're a very unlikable team'

I couldn't agree more! and I am a life long Red Sox fan. It's a shame what they turned into this year. I still watch and listen, but..... What a waste of money

Same here, that's why it pains me to say it. :eek:

I've been following the Sox since the Gold Dust twins came up in 1974, and IMO, this is the lowest this organization has been since then. I thought the season (2000 or 2001?) Carl Everett attacked interm manager Joe Kerrigan was the worst, but not anymore. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)