Polorotor Help?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Okay you made me do it. Look at the pics. The positional pot is attached directly to the probe coupler.
Yes. The probe will rotate 360 degrees with the servo disconnected. The coupler is keyed to the pot.
So. No screw-up can happen there.
The 4 screws were a bear to get out. PB Blaster and a very good fitting #1 Philips screwdriver is needed.
And time.
I'm very positive that if you clean the pot that the thing will straighten up. Pull the middle gear so you can rotate its shaft. And don't lose that pin.
Is it "jittering"?
I mean after umpteen years the capacitor(s) could be borked. I dont know. Cleaning several pots in the past did straighten things up.
The gear train has pins that might fall out. So do it all on a microfiber so you don't end up cussing the carpet.
View attachment 157868View attachment 157869
A no bs session. Surprised nobody has done this.
The servo circuitry is as close to a RC servo from 10 years ago as can be.
I pulled out an old Drake ESR 324 receiver from the attic. It hadn't been powered on since VCII happened.
Note please.
The manual skew adjustment was parked on its center position where it had been for years.
Some on that below.
5 bucks and up on eBay.
Hooked the servo up and powered on the unit.
First video is with a drive gear removed and manually rotating the pot which connects to the polarity probe in the feed.
See how sensitive the position is and how the motor is attempting to turn the pot to the exact position?
(like the thornapple poke on my finger and nicotene/flux stain on my thumb nail?)
If the pot were to rest at either of the H or V spots for any amount of time and tarnish occurred there. The servo circuit would have a very hard time finding the exact resistance to satisfy the absolute position. Si?

Second video. Gears in place. I pressed the polarity button on the Drake.
The servo snapped to its position and the motor stopped.
I pushed the button again and it snapped to the other position. Could have been H or V. I didn't look.
See the motor hunt? Trying to get the pot exactly where it needs to be?
That was due to the manual skew adjustment pot on the Drake being a little dirty right in the spot where it was at for years.
A little turning it back and forth wiped the tarnish from the wiper element in the fine tune pot.
The exact same thing could happen if the servo pot wiper was tarnished.
Deoxit or contact cleaner would fix it.
Around half into the video is where I turned the fine skew adjustment back and forth.
The motor drove the gears and pot to fine tune skew.
Helps?

Attachments

• Servo_No_Gear_A.mp4
    28.2 MB
  • Servo_With_Gears_In.mp4
    16.8 MB
Reactions: Titanium
I have a related question... what gauge wire should I use for a polorotor that is run approximately 100 to 125 feet? It needs to be shielded 3-conductor with a ground (4th) wire, correct?

I've finally decided to put up a feed with a polorotor to try it out, so I just need to get some wire!

Thanks,
sgs

I have a related question... what gauge wire should I use for a polorotor that is run approximately 100 to 125 feet? It needs to be shielded 3-conductor with a ground (4th) wire, correct?

I've finally decided to put up a feed with a polorotor to try it out, so I just need to get some wire!

Thanks,
sgs
Probably 16g. Stranded would be better. 2 wires with shield. Solder the splice and heat shrink with glue lining.

Reactions: sgs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts