Poor little babies ban a kid from pitching because he is too good!

Let the kid be a kid....eventually, the talent thing levels out. We put too much emphasis on this at to a young an age. At 9 and 10 years old...kids should be allowed to play sports for the fun of it. Stop living fantasies ADULTS can no longer live out as an athlete.....

Sorry but as a coach of high school baseball AND plenty of traveling teams, it's people like you that take the fun out of kids just playing and making it about being better than the next kid. Sports for kids that age is about having fun and playing with your friends. Parents are the ones that start all of the trouble with jealousy, envies and trying to live their now useless athletic life through their children by enforcing the "you gotta get better" mentality. IF a kid is athletically gifted, it will come out. People do not realize how much damage physically AND mentally they do to kids in sports by pushing them when they should let things progress at it own rate. When he is old enough to go to the next stage, he will and more than likely, kids will be better. You RUSH him and suddenly, he presses too much where he is a possible talent rushed before their time or you can injure in still developing arm. You see the crap in the majors rushing kids into the show due to desperate GMs....and those 20 and 21 year old muscles are already developed.

Problem is you may coach high school and traveling teams but you don't coach a team like this. Like I said I help coach a team like this and kids like this ruin the game for the other kids. Five no-hitters in a row!! put the kid in another position or forfiet the game. Either way he will be killing the fun for the other players.

Problem is you may coach high school and traveling teams but you don't coach a team like this. Like I said I help coach a team like this and kids like this ruin the game for the other kids. Five no-hitters in a row!! put the kid in another position or forfiet the game. Either way he will be killing the fun for the other players.

No....the problem is I COACHED teams like this ....not "helped" coached....I MANAGED AND COACHED. You are no different than those parents than moaned and bitched that he is "too good". Let him finished the season at his level now, next year, he DOES move up because of his age. There wouldn't be ANY BITCHING if the kid was playing for the team the commissioner coaches and if THEY were undefeated.....would there?:rolleyes:

So the kids who have to face the most gifted pitcher in the league are not having fun? You know what I have to say......... Tough.
Has anyone actually thought that facing a better pitcher may make the hitters better in the long run?

Making this kid sacrifice his position to play down to the competition is teaching these kids nothing. As a matter of fact, it's just another form of coddling that has become all to more frequent these days.

To me, your train of thought is in line with that story of every team in the league getting year end trophies instead of just the champion team. These days, parents are too worried about hurting anyone's feelings.

Life is full of difficulties and hardships. Let the kids succeed or fail on there own. There are consequences and lessons in each outcome.

So the kids who have to face the most gifted pitcher in the league are not having fun? You know what I have to say......... Tough.
Has anyone actually thought that facing a better pitcher may make the hitters better in the long run?

Making this kid sacrifice his position to play down to the competition is teaching these kids nothing. As a matter of fact, it's just another form of coddling that has become all to more frequent these days.

To me, your train of thought is in line with that story of every team in the league getting year end trophies instead of just the champion team. These days, parents are too worried about hurting anyone's feelings.

Life is full of difficulties and hardships. Let the kids succeed or fail on there own. There are consequences and lessons in each outcome.

That is exactly what I said in an earlier post.:up:up

You are no different than those parents that moaned and bitched that he is "too good".

Yep....I agree and stated the same thing!;):up

No....the problem is I COACHED teams like this ....not "helped" coached....I MANAGED AND COACHED. You are no different than those parents than moaned and bitched that he is "too good".

That is because he is "too good" for the team he is on. He pitched 5 straight no-hitters. That is no fun for either team to play. It is supposed to be a developmental league not a play date.

Let him finished the season at his level now, next year, he DOES move up because of his age.
Does he? He will still be 10.

There wouldn't be ANY BITCHING if the kid was playing for the team the commissioner coaches and if THEY were undefeated.....would there?:rolleyes:

Do you know that for sure? Just because his crazy mom said so doesn't mean it's true. Hell, the lady called the cops because a team forfeited a game. She probably forced the kid to play on a team of lesser players to make him look good.

The kid shouldn't have been allowed to play in this league from the get go if he was that much better.

Not when it is a league that is teaching kids to play. It isn't meant to be a competitive league it is a learning league.

You know what I say to the kid and his parents about getting banned from pitching .......Tough.

He doesn't have to sacrifice his position he just has to play his position with and against equals. It is not even competition for him.

What is wrong with giving kids who are in a learning league a trophy. This league main objective is supposed to be to teach kids how to play and to get them interested in the game. Most of the kids in the league probably won't be playing baseball in a year or two. It is an introduction to baseball. This kid is taking the fun out of it for the rest of the kids. All this shows to me is poor sportsmanship.

Yes I agree. The hardship in this story is a kid is playing in a league in which he doesn't belong, he got caught and can't pitch in this league any more. The other hardship is that if his coach insists on putting him in the pitching position, He ruins the fun for the rest of the kids.

All I can say is I don't know if any of you have kids that will be playing in a developmental league. If you do I hope while they are just learning how to play they get to play a team that has a pitcher that no kid can get a hit from and see what that does to your kids view of baseball. Maybe they will be on that kids team and every time they take the field they see no action and not learn how to grab a grounder and throw it to first base. See how you feel when your kid complains because they don't want to go to baseball because it isn't any fun. Actually I don't because it would be fair for you child.

That is because he is "too good" for the team he is on. He pitched 5 straight no-hitters. That is no fun for either team to play. It is supposed to be a developmental league not a play date.

It says he pitched no-hitters, it didn't say he struck everyone out. It didn't say that no one got [aluminium] on the ball! It didn't say that no one got on base due to an error. It only said, no hitter.

When I played ball, I had MUCH more fun on the field since I sucked as a batter! :) I had great fun trying to turn a DP. When I played LF I was happiest when I could thow out a runner from third tagging up when I (as usual) dropped the damned ball on a fly. I was embarassed I couldn't catch the ball well, but I had LOTS of fun throwing the guy out at home when I threw a strike from 150 feet away! The only gift I had in that game was my arm!

So assuming:
1) "No Hitter" does not equal 21 Ks (at that level the games are generally 7 innings)
2) "No one has any fun unless they get a hit" is false (yes getting a hit is fun, but not the only way to have fun).
3) No team has fun unless they win is false. (Yes it's more fun to win, but not the only way to have fun)

your comment of "no fun to either team" is specious. Part of the development is to learn to deal with this. Adapting to new pitching styles and learning to hit fast balls! It isn't T-Ball! If everyone was meant to hit the ball just have the coaches pitch (like they do in the 7 year-olds leagues around here).

See ya
Tony

Does he? He will still be 10.

Story said he was 9 and will be ten after the season is over/

She probably forced the kid to play on a team of lesser players to make him look good.

And I suppose you know THIS FOR SURE??!! Please....I am sticking to what was said in the new article, not conjurred up crap that you are coming up with.:rolleyes:

The kid shouldn't have been allowed to play in this league from the get go if he was that much better.

Nobody probably KNEW he was that good. That's just it, the beauty of the story. He developed a reputation of being an exceptional ball player and everyoned bitched he was too good. The rest of the PARENTS....not the league...PARENTS became jealous....simple as that.

I remember a kid that threw a perfect game in LL. So it does happen. He threw a ton of no hitters too.

I remember a kid that threw a perfect game in LL. So it does happen. He threw a ton of no hitters too.
My son has pitched quite a few no hitters in LL. This year he threw a perfect game and struck out 18 in the six innings. Not one kid put the bat on the ball. He is a travel baseball player also and plays it for the competition. Little League is a rec league and is not suppose to be competitive. He has pitched 1 or 2 hitters in travel but nothing like LL where the competition is not there.

Believe me his parents knew he could throw the ball hard way before he started playing this year. Let him play travel ball. I bet kids hit him and he will throw no more no-hitters. Also games at this level are 6 innings long and also usually have mercy run rules which can make a game go 4 innings is the team is usually ahead by 10 runs.

Letting a talented ball player play with inferior competition hurts and does not make the kid a better ballplayer. So what are his parents proving? My son only played Little League baseball for the end of season tournament and because I am the President of the league.

Story said he was 9 and will be ten after the season is over/

According to another story from the Daily News he just turned 10 during the season

And I suppose you know THIS FOR SURE??!! Please....I am sticking to what was said in the new article, not conjurred up crap that you are coming up with.:rolleyes:

I don't, I was speculating. You have not been sticking to what is in the news article.
ie....
There wouldn't be ANY BITCHING if the kid was playing for the team the commissioner coaches and if THEY were undefeated.....would there?:rolleyes:
when in fact the article says..."Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators."
That is coming from his parents and coach which makes for a good story but they should have interviewed the league officials also.
Also, nowhere in the article does it say that this kid wants to play on this team so he can play with his friends. That must be "conjurred up crap that you are coming up with."

Nobody probably KNEW he was that good. That's just it, the beauty of the story. He developed a reputation of being an exceptional ball player and everyoned bitched he was too good. The rest of the PARENTS....not the league...PARENTS became jealous....simple as that.

If nobody knew he was that good then why were other teams trying to get him? I am sure they knew he was good. This isn't a movie. Someone worked with him. Maybe His parents didn't know what kind of league it was but they knew their kid had a good arm.

In an opinion piece for ESPN, Mark Kreidler reported the LJB position that Scott's parents were asked to move him permanently to the older league but declined. Kreidler also asserted that Scott played for a more advanced area league where he was the number 4 pitcher and that his parents were suing for an undisclosed amount.[7]

That is coming from his parents and coach which makes for a good story but they should have interviewed the league officials also.
Also, nowhere in the article does it say that this kid wants to play on this team so he can play with his friends. That must be "conjurred up crap that you are coming up with."
Have you heard the so called league president DENY IT?! Nope, he has kept his mouth shut and just order kid to not pitch anymore.

In an opinion piece for ESPN, Mark Kreidler reported the LJB position that Scott's parents were asked to move him permanently to the older league but declined. Kreidler also asserted that Scott played for a more advanced area league where he was the number 4 pitcher and that his parents were suing for an undisclosed amount.[7]

Is there a story from a reputable source that IS NOT an "opinion piece"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)