Poor Picture Quality

fredw

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Port Huron, MI
I recently came back to DISH from Directv. Was with Dish for about 14 years started with a Dish 500 and a 4800 receiver (self install) then had a 510 dvr, 622 then last had a 722k was very happy with the PQ of the 622 and 722k both were very user friendly and worked good. Then I decided to go to Direct the only reason I switched is my son and I are both Nascar fans and they had the Nascar Hotpass. Which they dropped 6 months after I switched. Their programming was good, picture quality was very good, but I did not like he equipment had an HR34 receiver was not as user friendly as the 622/ 722 from dish also had one fail three days after install and took direct a week to get me a replacement. So my contract was up with direct and made the move back to Dish had a Hopper with sling, a Super Joey and 2 regular Joeys installed I knew from different threads in this forum that Direct had better PQ but didn't think it was this bad. As I said I watch Nascar and other sporting events and the picture is almost blurry and very pixelated I still have my Direct box hooked up and it is so much clearer even the sound through my surround system is better/ louder with the Direct box. Noticed last night watching football when they had a logo on the screen it was very pixelated. The installer did put the dish in a different location than it was before. last time I had a dish 1000.2 eastern arch that looked at 3 satellites and the one he put up only looks a 2. We did just recently have a pretty nasty storm go through last week lots of wind possibly out of adjustment? What should my signal levels be with these 2 satellites? Or is there just that much of a difference in the PQ between the two? Thanks for any input.

I think what he is trying to say is he has a 1000.2 Eastern Arc dish aimed at 61.5 & 72.7 and he thinks the picture quality is not as good as his HR34 Directv receiver. I "assume" he is asking if the picture quality can be improved.

My answer would be set up a service call with DISH.

There are a few things we can check first, just to make sure everything is correct and if that does not change anything than we can look into sending a tech. With the Hopper remote go to Menu-Settings-Screen Adjustments-HDTV. On this screen you can verify that the settings are correct. Also, you may want to check the picture ratio by pushing the * button on the remote to make sure the picture is on the best option. Let me know if this works.

I recently came back to DISH from Directv. Was with Dish for about 14 years started with a Dish 500 and a 4800 receiver (self install) then had a 510 dvr, 622 then last had a 722k was very happy with the PQ of the 622 and 722k both were very user friendly and worked good. Then I decided to go to Direct the only reason I switched is my son and I are both Nascar fans and they had the Nascar Hotpass. Which they dropped 6 months after I switched. Their programming was good, picture quality was very good, but I did not like he equipment had an HR34 receiver was not as user friendly as the 622/ 722 from dish also had one fail three days after install and took direct a week to get me a replacement. So my contract was up with direct and made the move back to Dish had a Hopper with sling, a Super Joey and 2 regular Joeys installed I knew from different threads in this forum that Direct had better PQ but didn't think it was this bad. As I said I watch Nascar and other sporting events and the picture is almost blurry and very pixelated I still have my Direct box hooked up and it is so much clearer even the sound through my surround system is better/ louder with the Direct box. Noticed last night watching football when they had a logo on the screen it was very pixelated. The installer did put the dish in a different location than it was before. last time I had a dish 1000.2 eastern arch that looked at 3 satellites and the one he put up only looks a 2. We did just recently have a pretty nasty storm go through last week lots of wind possibly out of adjustment? What should my signal levels be with these 2 satellites? Or is there just that much of a difference in the PQ between the two? Thanks for any input.

You can change all the settings you want but you'll find out as I did, directv has much better pq.
I did the same as you and hooked up one of my directv hddvr and saw at least 30% difference in hd quality.
Especially looking at 65" and 106" screen.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If your picture is pixelated you most likely have a poor signal from the dish. If it is blurry you have something set wrong on the Hopper or the TV or both. I doubt you could tell any difference between Direct and Dish even side by side if both are setup correctly. I had a 622 and 612 before going the Hopper route and if anything the Hopper has a slight edge in PQ.

You can change all the settings you want but you'll find out as I did, directv has much better pq.
I did the same as you and hooked up one of my directv hddvr and saw at least 30% difference in hd quality.
Especially looking at 65" and 106" screen.

I spent weekend at Brother-in-law's with Direct. I saw no difference on his Samsung plasma (same as mine) from what I get with my Hopper.

Also do you both have the exact same tv model wise because if not you could just be seeing the difference in picture quality because it's a different tv

How did another Dtv and dish PQ convo start again. Wasn't the last one like 250 comments long, and no clear winner, dating back to 2006?