Portable Convertor Box

Just a word of caution to late adopters. Some of those old TVs displayed in the link may "work" with the converter but it will look like crap. I have a 20 year old set that is just barely tolerable with the converter. I can just imagine what it would look like on an old tube b&w set! :D

I can't understand why the converter boxes wouldn't work fine with ANY old TV. Why does it need a qualifier. All it does is output a signal on Ch3 or Ch4 using the same NTSC modulation TV has always used. Granted with very old TV's you might need a 75-300 ohm transformer connector if the TV only has screw terminal antenna inputs (which are 300 ohm). And it would put a limit on portability for sure, but even portable TV's have an external antenna input, (at least some of them do, at least the one I used to have did.) :)

Not going to happen any time soon. The problem is the all-in-one chip die size and wattage. With more time a truly mobile ATSC converter box will be available with the size of a "walkman" personal stereo. example: I have a Canopus ADVC110 video/audio locked capture box its small works great with a notebook computer and it only uses 5v. So far the 12v powered converter boxes are your only choice.

Anyone interested the Canopus ADVC110 dose not need a computer its all hardware coding.

Last edited:
Just a word of caution to late adopters. Some of those old TVs displayed in the link may "work" with the converter but it will look like crap. I have a 20 year old set that is just barely tolerable with the converter. I can just imagine what it would look like on an old tube b&w set! :D

It certainly shouldn't look any worse but probably better than before, with a converter box. If yours doesn't then either a setting is wrong, a connection/cable is bad, or the box has a technical problem.

I think your old tv is a piece of crap if it does not display convertor box output well. My 3 old analog got better with the convertor box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)