Possibility of new HD-only receiver soon?

BoiseStateFan4Life

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 23, 2013
United States
I have Directv right now and the bill is getting ridiculous so I am thinking about switching to Dish (again). I do not need DVR service at all because I can live without it haha. I have two HDTV's so I am looking at the 211Ks. I did some research on it and the UI sucks hard in my personal opinion compared to the Hopper. :tsk:

The Hopper has color that is eye-candy for me and in my opinion, a more interactive experience. The 211 looks like something from the 90s for goodness sakes. Has Dish thought of developing a new HD-only receiver that incorporates the Hopper UI? It would be very nice to have that instead of what it has currently.

Even the old Dish interface looks a lot better than many cable boxes that have 80s UIs.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

If you want a 211 that is the way it comes order it. If you want a Hopper by all means order it. I guess you could look for a 922 it is very similar to a Hopper UI

Dish will not lease 922s anymore. You would have to purchase, and their DVR fee has always been $10. Most people here will tell you to stay away from it. Poor reputation.

If eye candy is that important to you, go to Hopper or look elsewhere. 211s are solid, reputable machines, and are DVR capable without DVR fee if and when you decide to get out of the 90's. ;)

The 211 is not bad. You just have to decide if the eye candy is worth the monthly DVR fee for the Hopper that the 211 avoids. But, at least you can have a Hopper and a couple joeys and only have to pay the fee 1 time.

So if I order the Top 200 package with the HD for Life offer, what will be my pricing per month if I had the Hopper/w Sling? What about 2 211s?

I still don't understand the DVR capability without the DVR fee. I've heard of it, but I still don't understand the concept.

I hate old things xD No offense to anything but new things just make my life a whole lot better. B-)

$7.00 for two 211s, $19.00 for Hopper and one Joey. Programming package is irrelevant to receiver fees.

With the 211 you pay a 1 time fee ($40 I think) that lets you put your own USB HD on a 211 and it becomes a DVR. You can only record one satellite show at a time (and one OTA). The one time fee covers all the 211s on your account. After the first 211 (no monthly fee) you pay $7/month for each additional one.

The Hopper can record more than one show (3 tuners, but can do prime time anytime). You pay a monthly fee per hopper ($12) in addition to the $7/month extra receiver fee. The first Hopper does not have the $7/month extra receiver fee, just the DVR fee. Each joey has a $7/month fee.

With the 211 you pay a 1 time fee ($40 I think) that lets you put your own USB HD on a 211 and it becomes a DVR. You can only record one satellite show at a time (and one OTA). The one time fee covers all the 211s on your account. After the first 211 (no monthly fee) you pay $7/month for each additional one.

The Hopper can record more than one show (3 tuners, but can do prime time anytime). You pay a monthly fee per hopper ($12) in addition to the $7/month extra receiver fee. The first Hopper does not have the $7/month extra receiver fee, just the DVR fee. Each joey has a $7/month fee.

Mind blown :cool::cool:

That is actually a pretty cool feature. I honestly would do that instead of getting the other DVRs. There's no OD option correct?

I am completely baffled.

There's no OD option correct?

Not sure what you mean by "OD option"?

The 211 looks/acts like a 622/722 but with only one satellite tuner and one OTA tuner. You can watch live OTA and record a satellite show for example. You can record an OTA show and a satellite show at the same time while watching a DVR show. You just cannot for example watch live a satellite show while recording a different satellite show. You can of course watch what is recording if you choose.

I use a TiVo for my OTA, I receive all 4 networks OTA, so I can record them with the TiVo. My satellite shows rarely conflict with other shows, and if there is a conflict satellite tends to have tons of repeats, so the 211 manages to resolve conflicts and records all that I need from the "cable networks".

Not sure what you mean by "OD option"?

The 211 looks/acts like a 622/722 but with only one satellite tuner and one OTA tuner. You can watch live OTA and record a satellite show for example. You can record an OTA show and a satellite show at the same time while watching a DVR show. You just cannot for example watch live a satellite show while recording a different satellite show. You can of course watch what is recording if you choose.
Sorry about that. OD=On Demand.

All of you guys keep mentioning about an OTA tuner. How much are those?

Just to get my terms right, OTA= non CBS,ABC,NBC,CW,FOX local channels and Satellite= National channels (USA, ESPN, TNT, TBS, etc.) Am I correct?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)