Possibility of new HD-only receiver soon?

RAID support for the internal drive would be nice. Much less likely you would lose recordings. But I guess that would open pirating. Sigh.

How is this "open pirating"? Most recordings on the internal are not encrypted.

Depending on the RAID setup, some simply make (2) copies of a "file" (mirroring) for redundancy. More than (1) copy is a big no-no in the DVR world.

No way they would spend the money to put a raid in the DVR. Dish (or any other provider for that matter) is not in the archiving business. They enable the features since it is a selling point if you add on disks at your expense. They want one reliable drive in the system. 2TB drives are cheap and reliable. No one really cares if the end user lose all their recordings in a HD crash, that is not the business they are in, and content providers are more than happy to sell you a back up in one form or another...

I would hope very few ! Part of my reason for not storing too much is that you can lose it too easily.... (EHDs fail too)

I wasn't suggesting they should put in larger HDDs either -- just throwing out one (easy) idea.

I am at over 70 percent and will hit the limit pretty soon, but I often off load to an HDD to create more room and guard against a failed interna HDD.

How many people have even got close to filling their 2 TB drives yet?

Most other companies don't even have a 500 GB drive in them.

As you've seen in this thread, there are people who have filled or nearly filled their Hopper hard drive. I've talked to people who have, too. For some reason, it seems to be old people that want to record EVERYTHING. I had one elderly couple check their daily schedule, and it showed something like 30+ recordings scheduled with 7 conflicts, and this was in the late afternoon.

I can't imagine folks would ever have the time to really watch all these recorded shows. I suspect that many are the electronic version of what we see on the "Hoarders" TV show.

I'd attribute two other things related to your elderly (actually many others) people scenario:

1) Hitting just "record" defaults to 'all' vs 'only new'
2) Deleting a recording after watching is isn't an automatic thing for some people. Personally, when my daughter finishes an episode of "Peppa Pig", I delete it. My wife does not (maybe thinking she'll watch it again*). Other shows, one of us may watch and either show someone else all or parts of the episode or just let them watch the entire show later.

* I routinely go through Peppa Pig, Little Bill, Dr Phil, and so on recording EVERY episode that's been watched more than 15% ;)

Recordings on the internal drive are NOT encrypted.

The next gen of Hopper will expand PTAT type recording to groups of channels off the satellite, perhaps using all three sat tuners to record up to 30 channels at the same time. All programmable (switchable) by the user (selecting which TP to record). All Dish has to do is group the most watched or a similar genre of channels on one TP and allow the user to set the tuner to record that entire TP for a period of time.

I suspect Dish could do this with the current Hoppers if they wanted to with a software update.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts