Possibility of new HD-only receiver soon?

The original 211 came with an OTA tuner.

There is no OD with the 211.

OTA are over the air, you have to hook up an antenna. Of course your location will determine if OTA stations are available.

You can add an OTA tuner to the hopper.

Just to get my terms right, OTA= non CBS,ABC,NBC,CW,FOX local channels and Satellite= National channels (USA, ESPN, TNT, TBS, etc.) Am I correct?
You're not completely correct. OTA=stations received Over The Air using an antenna, and usually that includes CBS, ABC, NBC, CW, FOX, PBS, ION, and lots of other networks offered as sub-channels: LWN, MeTV, Antenna TV, Cozi TV, Retro TV, This MGM Movies, Bounce, Get TV, Home Shopping, QVC, and on and on. Here in San Francisco I get a total of 91 OTA channels (if you count each sub-channel separately), but this varies city by city. Satellite=all of the network stations (CBS, ABC, etc.) plus what many call the "cable channels" - USA, ESPN, TNT, TBS, etc. Your local stations are part of both the OTA and Satellite service. Many will show up from the OTA receiver and the satellite receiver. The OTA and Satellite channels are highlighted by different colors in the Program Guide.

Larry
SF

Just to get my terms right, OTA= non CBS,ABC,NBC,CW,FOX local channels and Satellite= National channels (USA, ESPN, TNT, TBS, etc.) Am I correct?
Do you have, or plan to add, an antenna ? I am not referring to a satellite dish either. If not, forget the term "OTA". Any programming package from Dish will include your local ABC, CBS, etc, etc, if I'm not mistaken. Dish carries locals for ALL markets in the US currently. Whether they are in HD or not is a different matter though.

Whats the difference between the 211k and 211z other than the fact that the 211k has a tuner?

The 211z is probably a bit cheaper for Dish to manufacture since it does not have a built in OTA tuner. Since Dish now carries all the markets, the need to pitch the ability to use an antenna to receive local channels is not so important now.

Coming from someone that has a 722-612-and 211 I can say that the 211 is a very reliable model.The UI is basically the same on all 3,the 211 has fewer options,such as on demand.Of those 3 models we have had less issues with the 211,maybe one or 2 reboots since we have had it.The ota tuner is imo less buggier than the 612.

BTW, there is no point in making an HD only receiver (as in, no SD). The HD chipsets do SD also, at no extra cost. I suppose a few pennies could be saved by not including composite or coax or S-Video (remember that?) outputs.

Dish will not lease 922s anymore. You would have to purchase, and their DVR fee has always been $10. Most people here will tell you to stay away from it. Poor reputation.

As much as I hate the hopper, I would stay away from the 922. Pure garbage. I had one at one point trying to upgrade from a 722 and ended up going back to the 722.

As much as I hate the hopper, I would stay away from the 922. Pure garbage. I had one at one point trying to upgrade from a 722 and ended up going back to the 722.

the-haters-have-arrived.jpg

I have not seen it mentioned, just be aware none of your recordings will be available recorded from a 211 receiver, to watch with any other VIP or Hopper receiver in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)