Possible To Get DVR Without Fees?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

asdf123

Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
Buffalo, NY
Hi, sorry if this has been asked a lot. I have searched around but it is not exactly clear. I have a 222k receiver, but I want a DVR to record shows. From what I understand, I cannot connect an external hard drive to this receiver to record. If I got an extra receiver, a 722k for example, I would have to pay a monthly fee for an extra receiver. If I removed the 222k and added the 722k as the only receiver I would still have to pay a monthly DVR fee. Is this all correct?

If so, is there a way I can get DVR without additional monthly fees? Another model receiver possibly?

Thanks for responses, but yes, I would need dual tuners. I thought there was a 6-series receiver that is dual tuner and there would not be any additional fees, but I am not sure at this point.

You're thinking either the 612 or 622, both of which have the monthly DVR fee. The 612 is a solo receiver with dual tuners, the 622 is the 622/722 family and is the same DVR fee.

Reactions: asdf123
Thanks again for the responses. So 211/211k is the only option, but I can't record a program while watching another?
You could watch a recorded program while recording a program on the single tuner. You cannot watch and record two live programs at once with a single tuner.

To my knowledge, the 721 is the only dual tuner DVR without fee. The 501 and 508 are single tuner DVRs without fee. All MPEG-2, not HD, and obsolete non-activatable boat anchors now.

To my knowledge, the 721 is the only dual tuner DVR without fee. The 501 and 508 are single tuner DVRs without fee. All MPEG-2, not HD, and obsolete non-activatable boat anchors now.
Um, they are DEAD no longer functioning on Dish DVR's, and cannot demodulate any RF signals carrying programming from Dish sats, a condition far beyond "non-activatable." Those DVR's are RIP.

But 211 is only a single tuner receiver both the 222 and 722 are dual tuners.

That's only decent if the subscriber is using them for a single TV. I loved having the 722 and 722k; however, I got relegated to watching plenty of games and movies in my second living room, and was stuck watching them in SD, or getting them cut off because my wife was recording some Lifetime movie or insert title of cooking competition here, while she watched insert singing competition here.

Yep. That's how it works. And THAT problem was solved here by two Hoppers.

Springing for an H3 and a Joey might be your best bet.

Coming from a guy with two HWS. And who will probably wait for the H4 or H5.

As a single guy with a 211k receiver with a 500G HHD, it serves me fine. I can record OTA as well as Dish at the same time while watching a 3rd channel. There are no DVR fees with the 211k. As others have said, there is the one time fee of $40, but it was worth it. I have a backup 1tb HHD and I can change HDDs at any time without any additional fees.

Hi, sorry if this has been asked a lot. I have searched around but it is not exactly clear. I have a 222k receiver, but I want a DVR to record shows. From what I understand, I cannot connect an external hard drive to this receiver to record. If I got an extra receiver, a 722k for example, I would have to pay a monthly fee for an extra receiver. If I removed the 222k and added the 722k as the only receiver I would still have to pay a monthly DVR fee. Is this all correct?

If so, is there a way I can get DVR without additional monthly fees? Another model receiver possibly?

Build one?

I have a 522 I will sell you cheap. It is a DVR, with no fees of any kind. Of course it is not HD and can not receive any new programming.
However if you need a boat anchor or think you might enjoy what ever happened to be on the hard drive it could beat renting or buying a bunch of SD DVDs.

Reactions: pattykay
I have a 522 I will sell you cheap. It is a DVR, with no fees of any kind. Of course it is not HD and can not receive any new programming.
However if you need a boat anchor or think you might enjoy what ever happened to be on the hard drive it could beat renting or buying a bunch of SD DVDs.
I think I have you beat. I have two 512's and a 501. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts