Possible to run one tuner HD-DVR?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sbalmos

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Cincinnati (Maineville), OH
'evening all. I was reading some other messages here a moment ago, and came across another tidbit that my dingbat installer said was impossible.

It *is* possible to run the HD-DVR with only one line, but therefore only one tuner? If so, this is okay for me, as over 3/4 of the DVR'ing I do is for programs that are overnight, or when I am away. Since I've been with E*, I've only DVR'd a few shows here and there while I was watching something else.

Yes you can, before I rewired some stuff I had only 1 DBS feed to a HR20-700 and no problems with only one tuner.

Thanks rad. That confirmed things. I was being fed another BS line from the guy, saying that the HD signal came in over both tuners, and thus needed both feeds (impossible for me, he said, as he didn't want to fish lines).

Well... we'll see tomorrow, when I get quotes back from electricians to see if they can fishline it.

Thanks rad. That confirmed things. I was being fed another BS line from the guy, saying that the HD signal came in over both tuners, and thus needed both feeds (impossible for me, he said, as he didn't want to fish lines).

Well... we'll see tomorrow, when I get quotes back from electricians to see if they can fishline it.

Yes, they can operate on one line.

Yes, the installer was feeding you a line of crap about it requiring both lines to get the HD feed.

No, installers are not supposed to install only one line to the DVR. What happens when you call D* in a month and state that your DVR can't record two shows at once because the installer only ran one line? They have to come back out and run the second one for no pay, and their HSP gets a chargeback from D*, regardless of whether or not you signed off on the work order for only one line.

Fishing lines is not something installers prefer to do, as it increases the amount of time on the job site. Since installers are constantly overbooked, the more time they spend on one job means the later they will be at their remaining jobs. While that might be okay with you if the installer is there, how would you feel if the installer was delayed getting to you because his previous customer wanted the same thing? This is why wall fishing is considered custom labor, and will result in the installer charging some pretty steep rates to do it.

Everybody, and rightly so, wants the installer to treat their installation as it was the most important of the day; but they don't seem to accept the fact that the customer before them wanted the same thing. Check out the number of threads where people complain about the installer not being on time for their appointment window if you don't believe me.

Make sure when the single line is attached to the DVR that it IS going to the Sat 1 connection, if it goes to the sat 2 connection it may NOT work.
I believe the unit when going thru the set up process looks for a signal on tuner 1 first and if it doesn't find one, keeps looking even thou it may be on sat 2.

Jimbo

Believe me iwc, I understand their (the installer's) situation. I began reading SatGuys before I signed up with E* months ago. I was willing to pay custom rates to the guy. He just didn't want to do it. I can't help that, but I understand possibilities for why. I am most definitely not someone who thinks he's the most important person of the day. :)

Believe me iwc, I understand their (the installer's) situation. I began reading SatGuys before I signed up with E* months ago. I was willing to pay custom rates to the guy. He just didn't want to do it. I can't help that, but I understand possibilities for why. I am most definitely not someone who thinks he's the most important person of the day. :)

Then you're not like the majority of customers I deal with, so thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)