Possible to transfer shows to EHD after receiver has been replaced?

hopton

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Lycoming County, PA
I have a new HWS arriving today to replace my Hopper (without Sling). My EHD isn't big enough to fit all of my recordings I want to transfer. If I fill the EHD from the old receiver, can I activate the new HWS and transfer the shows off the EHD to the HWS and then go back to the old Hopper and transfer more shows off of it? Basically, I am asking if shows can be transferred off of a Hopper that is no longer active so it can be transferred to my active one. (This would prevent me from needing to buy another EHD.)

I understand EHD's are tied to an account, just not sure if once the old Hopper is replaced it is no longer part of the account and can't be used with EHD.

Thanks in advance for any input. I tried searching before posting, but couldn't find the same situation.

I have a new HWS arriving today to replace my Hopper (without Sling). My EHD isn't big enough to fit all of my recordings I want to transfer. If I fill the EHD from the old receiver, can I activate the new HWS and transfer the shows off the EHD to the HWS and then go back to the old Hopper and transfer more shows off of it? Basically, I am asking if shows can be transferred off of a Hopper that is no longer active so it can be transferred to my active one. (This would prevent me from needing to buy another EHD.)

I understand EHD's are tied to an account, just not sure if once the old Hopper is replaced it is no longer part of the account and can't be used with EHD.

Thanks in advance for any input. I tried searching before posting, but couldn't find the same situation.

I would suggest keeping the old hopper on the account for a day or two to give yourself the time to safely transfer the content. Then call Dish to remove it and you will have to ship it back to them. The pro-rated extra hopper fee is something I'd be willing to pay to get the content transferred.

I would caution that some people have reported having problems playing content that has been moved from an EHD to a hopper. It's very hit or miss, but if this is programming that you don't want to lose, you may want to buy an additional EHD anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I would suggest keeping the old hopper on the account for a day or two to give yourself the time to safely transfer the content. Then call Dish to remove it and you will have to ship it back to them. The pro-rated extra hopper fee is something I'd be willing to pay to get the content transferred.

I would caution that some people have reported having problems playing content that has been moved from an EHD to a hopper. It's very hit or miss, but if this is programming that you don't want to lose, you may want to buy an additional EHD anyway.

Wouldn't that also cause him to lose his grandfathered fees? I'd buy an extra EHD.

Thanks for the responses. It looks like the consensus is that it's probably not going to work transferring from a deactivated receiver.

I know about the potential problems with transferring from EHD to HWS (but thanks for the heads up!). I would only do it with non-essential stuff.

I hadn't considered leaving the first activated (actually I figured when I activate the new that it automatically deactivated the old). Mnevar brings up a good point about potentially losing grandfathered fees, and I don't want to risk that either.

Looks like my best option is either buy a new EHD, reduce the shows I want to transfer, or borrow an EHD from a friend.

Thanks again!

I'd go with borrow first, make judicious choices in shows 2nd, and buy a new EHD 3rd.

I know about the potential problems with transferring from EHD to HWS (but thanks for the heads up!). I would only do it with non-essential stuff.

There were problems with transferring shows back from EHD to Hopper when it was first introduced, and it lasted several month. Since then there were software fixes and the "bug" has been eliminated AFIK. Have not seen of any such problems for several months. I transferred the majority of a 500 gb EHD to new Hopper w/Sling and all shows the shows I spot checked are fine.

There were problems with transferring shows back from EHD to Hopper when it was first introduced, and it lasted several month. Since then there were software fixes and the "bug" has been eliminated AFIK. Have not seen of any such problems for several months. I transferred the majority of a 500 gb EHD to new Hopper w/Sling and all shows the shows I spot checked are fine.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/315744-HWS-won-t-play-transferred-shows-anymore-stuck-on-quot-Event-Playback-Finished-quot

Wouldn't that also cause him to lose his grandfathered fees? I'd buy an extra EHD.

Doesn't swapping to the new hopper already eliminate the grandfather status? I upgraded before the price jump for that very reason.

Doesn't swapping to the new hopper already eliminate the grandfather status? I upgraded before the price jump for that very reason.

Nobody will know for sure until their bill arrives... I also got everything set up the way I want before the new fees kicked in.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Zach confirmed several times grandpa is protected. He even checked my account after activation and all fees were unchanged. Since I have PMs confirming by Zach, I'm not concerned.

I can verify that transferring programs from an EHD dumped from a legacy receiver to the Hopper works without a problem. This was last Monday, but I did the transfer to the EHD prior to the old receiver being deactivated.