Possibly going from Roof to Pole Mount ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

colma

Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Western Ohio
I have had Directv for 2+ years and at the time of installation, my slimline dish was installed on my roof. I suspect this was due to my previous E* install and wiring being on the roof.

There is a possibility that I will be having my roof replaced due to hail damage and would prefer not to have my dish on the roof.

I am curious to know how much Directv charges to move the dish from a roof to pole mount? Do they take into consideration that I have (been a sucker) carried the protection plan since day 1 and cut any breaks on the service call?

Since it's not a LOS issue, you will likely have to pay full price. The protection plan doesn't matter. You will probably pay about $75.

DirecTV will charge you 49 dollars for the relocation, but because it would be going to a pole mount (which is not included in the standard professional installation) this would be a custom charge.
The tech decides how much to charge you for the pole mount. But i would say if your extra nice and buy him lunch or something maybe he will do it for cheap? it never hurts to try!

I just did this. $50 to DirecTV, and $75 to the contractor that came out to do the actual relocation. He did a really good job, though, and was very thorough (I'll admit I supervised :) ). I actually even gave him a little extra because he seemed to really care about the job he did rather than just trying to get it done and go.

Seems to actually be more stable than when it was on my roof as it's somewhat "shielded" where the pole is now located. I'm getting a new roof in about 10 days myself and decided I didn't want to pierce a new roof if I didn't have to...

Having the protection plan has no bearing on "custom labor". And also having does not make you a sucker. Since you own all your equipment (dish, cable, multiswitch or if it's newer SWiM equipment) D* will likely charge you to replace it. Again, it's yours not theirs. Now, the receivers are leased. So, yes those are D* owned, but look at it like a car lease. That's the way the contract is written up. You pay your down payment for the unit, your monthly access charge...but you are responsible for the units while you have them. So if they go bad and need to be replaced, D* can charge you for them. That $5.99 covers all your stuff (dish, etc) AND the boxes so you don't pay for any replacements. The protection plan is a good thing to have.

MK-9 said:
Having the protection plan has no bearing on "custom labor". And also having does not make you a sucker. Since you own all your equipment (dish, cable, multiswitch or if it's newer SWiM equipment) D* will likely charge you to replace it. Again, it's yours not theirs. Now, the receivers are leased. So, yes those are D* owned, but look at it like a car lease. That's the way the contract is written up. You pay your down payment for the unit, your monthly access charge...but you are responsible for the units while you have them. So if they go bad and need to be replaced, D* can charge you for them. That $5.99 covers all your stuff (dish, etc) AND the boxes so you don't pay for any replacements. The protection plan is a good thing to have.

They don't charge to replace a box regardless. If you have the DPP they'll waive the shipping if it's drop shipped, and you're more then likely going to get them to waive the SC fee if you don't call in much. I've swapped 12 boxes for brand new ones all for free jus because the sub wanted newer equipment. Didn't cost him a dime :D

They'll also replace everything for 49.95 if you don't have the DPP. Honestly, it's a waste of money and anybody that does simple math can figure it out

They don't charge to replace a box regardless. If you have the DPP they'll waive the shipping if it's drop shipped, and you're more then likely going to get them to waive the SC fee if you don't call in much. I've swapped 12 boxes for brand new ones all for free jus because the sub wanted newer equipment. Didn't cost him a dime :D

They'll also replace everything for 49.95 if you don't have the DPP. Honestly, it's a waste of money and anybody that does simple math can figure it out

Perhaps in your market. But, I've spoken to customers that have been charged if they didn't have it. Believe what you like, obviously nothing I tell you will change your mind.

It may not have cost the customer any money, but if it was equipment replaced "just because", they got a new two year commitment.

It's not a "per market" thing. The maximum a sub can be charged is $98 plus tax and this is only if they're charged for both the service call then the tech uses "customer caused" as the primary resolution code.

raoul5788 said:
It may not have cost the customer any money, but if it was equipment replaced "just because", they got a new two year commitment.

Nope, service swapped. They wasn't upgrading, just swapped because the receivers were "defective".

If you have a leased box replaced because it's defective, it doesn't cost the customer anything except the shipping. If anyone was charged for the box, then it was done incorrectly.

Nope, service swapped. They wasn't upgrading, just swapped because the receivers were "defective".

Then they weren't simply swapped. You said they were swapped because the customer wanted new equipment. It sounds like you wrote the work order up as exchanging defective equipment. That's not the same thing.

I've swapped 12 boxes for brand new ones all for free jus because the sub wanted newer equipment. Didn't cost him a dime :D

I'm gonna look you u[ when I need equipment upgraded next time, I just this year retired my HR20's ...
Oh ya, it cost me for EACH upgrade.
PLUS the cost of the AM21's.

raoul5788 said:
Then they weren't simply swapped. You said they were swapped because the customer wanted new equipment. It sounds like you wrote the work order up as exchanging defective equipment. That's not the same thing.

I see where it was read that way. I just placed a service swap code on all them and replaced them with newer receivers

I see where it was read that way. I just placed a service swap code on all them and replaced them with newer receivers

I don't know what that means. What's a service swap code?

raoul5788 said:
I don't know what that means. What's a service swap code?

It's a line item we have to add on our handhelds. It's either a service swap or a DOA (dead on activation) which means we activated a box and something is wrong with it. Neither code will add a 24 month agreement.

A DOA box won't add a commitment, but simply swapping a box for another will. Service swap must mean something else.

raoul5788 said:
A DOA box won't add a commitment, but simply swapping a box for another will. Service swap must mean something else.

Service swap means that the receiver was existing already but has become defective. Upgrading a box because you want to and directv knows it will add another 24 months but simply having a service tech come to your home and you convince him it's defective won't.

For example, I come to your home and find a receiver won't power on. That would constitute a service swap. Internet deca goes bad, service swap. Fan noise is an issue, the list goes on. If you have an HR20 and all I have is HR24's then you get a new 24 without a new contract

Direct told me 99 to swap and 75 for the service call. Yikes. Wonder if I can get a local contractor cheaper.

Sent Using My Galaxy Note

Status
Please reply by conversation.