Possibly saving a dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No luck on the 1.2M or 33" on Craigslist, though the guy with the Muzak dish is talking to the landlord in the next day or two. As for the Blockbuster dish, no one in the property management office answers the phone. I may have to leave EVERYONE a voice mail tomorrow...

An update!

No luck on Blockbuster, and the owner of the former gym hasn't gotten back to me. However, I was able to get blood from a stone.

After going through a few layers of beaurocracy, I've gotten approval to take the old Muzak dish off the roof of my store. And when I say old...
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1403826028.106685.jpg

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1403826054.731837.jpg

I don't recognize that Muzak logo. I didn't get a shot of it, but it looks like it has a tiny ku conical scalar. I'll be grabbing it in the next week or so.

Perseverance Prevails again. :up
Be careful lifting the NPRM, might be 'stuck' to the roofing. If so, I'd maybe leave it, so as not to damage it.
The dish should clean up nicely with a little elbow grease. I used Dawn and a nylon bristle brush on the 1 meter. (the pictures I took of it doesn't really show how Ugly it was- lichen, moss and a whole lot of grime) Some wet or dry sandpaper or emery cloth should do the arms. (then some paint)

If I have to leave the nprm behind, oh well. I'm just glad to be able to get a good-sized dish for an unbeatable price. I'm down the road from work now, so I could probably snap another pic or two (or even take it down) today. Hopefully my fiancee won't mind the size too too much...

I went up and brought the beast down today after work. Oddly enough it was nicer on the roof with the breeze than it was in the store. Here's the lnb & feed:
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1404164778.127183.jpg

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1404164794.344485.jpg

To my untrained eye it looks like a single-polarity lnb. Once I'm south-facing I'll use it to get aligned before worrying about replacing it.

Yup, they only need one polarity for the service, MOF only one transponder. I've got a few of those LNB's, as well as single polarity NJR's, laying around here. Appears that horn will mate a C120 flange as well as the standard WR-75
You got the NPRM, Nice.

The NPRM was on a 1/2" thick rubber mat. I may take it off the roof, but it's pretty ugly (cracked, mossy). The cinder blocks holding it down were crumbling, so they're still up there too.

It seems I can just take the lnb from my WorldDirect dish and swap it out.

I would order a new rubber mat, for the NPRM. Getting the old one is not worth it. New blocks don't cost to much either.

Ah, I thought that was the NPRM from the roof in the background in the first picture. But yeah, grab it to, get it blasted and painted. Leave the mat. and the remnants of the blocks. Think, for best performance, a Dual polarity LNBF with a C-120 flange. (harder to 'get') 2nd best would be a PLL LNBF*, 3rd any ol' FTA LNBF. *I'm impressed with the Titanium Ku ones I have.
Didn't someone here 'mate' a regular Ku LNBF to a C-120 feed horn a while ago??? That may be an alternative.(????)

The WorldDirect dish has two LNB's, one of which is a linear with a C120 flange. I'd assume it's dual polarity. I'll cannibalize that and be set.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts