Post any unpopular opinions that you have that aren't political or religious...

I'm a retired HP executive that gets a yearly stipend for free HP equipment. But I use only Apple because of a personal kindness done by Steve Job to my family
How nice. That is good to hear. But what is your unpopular opinion? Maybe you loved Carly Fiorina? I have a good friend who was at Bell Labs during its Lucent period, and he just spits venom at the mere mention of her name.

Reactions: navychop
How nice. That is good to hear. But what is your unpopular opinion? Maybe you loved Carly Fiorina? I have a good friend who was at Bell Labs during its Lucent period, and he just spits venom at the mere mention of her name.
I hope both Carly Fiorini and Mark Hurd go to hell. They are subhuman and abused people and screwed up thousands of lives to gratify their egos and pocketbooks.

Reactions: TheKrell
I'm all for nuclear. It irks me when people say noo-kya-nur. That's not political.
Why would someone put backup generators ON THE BEACH?!!! TMI, Chernobyl. You thing someone would learn something.
Why didn't the USPS capitalize on being an ISP? The dial-up modem decimated their industry over night. That's not political. And my pastor agrees.
I can't really see semi's dragging a trailer full of batteries down the highway to power their rigs. Get your doubles endorsement guys. Maybe you can get lumper pay while you wait for it to charge.
Biodiesel. Great idea. In Orlando. Disney puts waste oil containers at your restaurant and auto service centers.
They make and run their vehicles on biodiesel that they make there. Is that unpopular? Eat more wings!

I got a lot of "yeah buts" from my friend. He burns firewood. A triaxle of logs is dropped off in his back yard.
Gas for the chainsaw. Oil for it too. Cut the logs to length......they hit the dirt. And tack on chains and sharpening too.
Change the oil in the splitter. Gas for it. Pick up the cut chunks and split them. Pick them up and spilt them into quarters. Then pick the pieces up, load them in the wagon. Go stack 'em up. Do it all over again. After you mow the yard, dodge rain storms.
During the winter you have to trudge outside. Bundle up. Go grab an armload, two. You picked up that wood HOW many times? Fourty-'leven?
Hey Teddy? Ever think of getting a pellet stove? At first. Unpopular subject. "What ya' gonna' do when you're 70"?
My 'droid out of the pocket. Calculator opened up. What's a triaxle cost, delivered? How much gas and oil do ya think you used? How much time did it take to do? You have to clean the flue how many times? That means you have to shut the stove down, right? What about if you and the wifey wants to go away shopping for the day?
Let's go to the pellet stove place. Just ride with me. Spin one up, put a few in the cooler.
Ted has a pellet stove now. Once unpopular, not political, and not so religious now as when he dropped a log on his toe or ran the saw into a staple from eons ago.
You got 'ole Seth all fired up.

Oh. The Flatlanders. That's what we call the hunters from the city. They were sleazin' into my dad's wood stack at night and helping themselves. 5-6 chunks and tracks across the snow.
Very unpopular with him.
So he grabs a very special chunk of wood. Cores one end and drills it deep. Packs that baby with black powder. Crafted a matching plug and planted it in. And stripped the bark to make it obvious to him. SOMEONE had a very unpopular day. That piece of wood came up missing. That's about the time I got him a tree cam. His wood pile didn't mysteriously dwindle at night any more. Flatlanders!

Whew. That was fun. Thanks for the invite. Hate me yet?
AND:
Speakers on stands. So unpopular the FB topic was removed.
Apple products period. Soldered-in SSD's? Your extended warranty voided because the little sticker turned pink?
John Deere. You buy it but you cant fix it.
Snapped off exhaust manifold studs.
One Wheel.
HP computers full of bloatware. HP ads used to be reserved for Scientific American.
Me getting every Covid shot there was to stay alive another day. Then having a purported heart attack in the shower that turned out to be a blood clot before the blood clot thing popped up in the news 6 months later.

Now I'm done.

• Sad
Apple sucks, some people call them ‘the Mercedes Benz of computing’. That sums up Apple perfectly, overhyped and overpriced. Plus, how do you know when someone has an Apple laptop or Apple phone? They can’t stop referring to it as ‘my iPhone’ or my ‘MacBook Air’ because they think it sounds cool and they like to show off. Apple elitists are the worst.

Facebook, Twitter, whatever the hell a TickTock and Discord are and all that other social media garbage are need to just go away. ‘Social’ media (there is nothing social about it) is 100% pure evil and the work of Satan. The internet was so much better before all of that nonsense came to be.

Amazon is evil, Google is more evil.

Seafood sucks. ‘If’s it’s from the sea, it ain’t for me’ is my motto. Besides fish, which is just nasty, lobster is one of the worst things I’ve ever had the displeasure of consuming. Had it about a dozen times in my life, everything from the junk at Red Lobster to some semi-fancy place outside of Boston. It all sucked just as bad and was slimy, smelly and gross.

I would rather drink cat piss than anything with alcohol in it. Alcohol is just nasty, will never understand how people willing consume that poisonous bitter swill called beer.

And that goes for coffee too. I hate coffee and all hot liquids actually. The taste of coffee is just gross unless it's loaded with sugar and flavored stuff. If I’m thirsty, I wanna chug something cold. Not daintily sip on something that’s hotter than Death Valley in the summer.

Never seen anything related to Star Trek Wars and never care to. Don’t want to watch anything with any ‘super heros’ from DC or Marvil either.

Microwave ovens are useless. They’re only good for melting ice cream. Reheat leftovers in them and the food comes out tasteless, bland, unevenly cooked and slimy.

Physical media is superior to streaming. Why pay a reoccurring fee to rent something that could be removed or edited at any given time, when you can own it forever.

Smart phones are for stupid people.

Landlines are superior to cellular.

My favorite temperature is whatever temperature it is when it’s the middle of Winter and when you take a breath your lungs hurt. Summer sucks, as of this post, 77 days, 23 hours, 16 minutes. 21 seconds until Summer 2022 is over with. Summer will be officially one quarter over with next week this time.

The ideal laptop has a 17" screen, weighs in the neighborhood of 10 lbs and has thick bezels.

Touch screens on anything suck.

That's all I can think of at the moment, I'm sure there are others, but these are the big ones.

I'm a retired HP executive that gets a yearly stipend for free HP equipment. But I use only Apple because of a personal kindness done by Steve Job to my family

I’ll take a Z8 G4 w/ dual Xeon Gold 6258R’s and dual RTX A6000s w/ dual 27" 4K DreamColor displays.

HP computers full of bloatware.
HP computers come with no more bloatware than Dell, Acer and the others. Like all manufactures, desktops/laptops in their business lines come with almost nothing besides the preloaded crap from Microsoft. Or just do what I do and throw the factory drive away and pop in your own or reformat the thing. Using bootable USB media, on an NVMe drive Windows 10 and 11 take less than 5 minutes to install.

I was around for the introduction of windows 3.1 which was the start of 4 hour support calls in the 1990s and everything being incompatible. Apple was the first company to bring any order to the average computer user experience (not IT Tech). Even today there are many millions that wouldnt have working computers int their homes if not for Apple. If I died, my wife would have to marry a Geek Squad member. I'll stick with Apple for the best computer experience and best customer service of any company in the world

I was around for the introduction of windows 3.1 which was the start of 4 hour support calls in the 1990s and everything being incompatible. Apple was the first company to bring any order to the average computer user experience (not IT Tech). Even today there are many millions that wouldnt have working computers int their homes if not for Apple. If I died, my wife would have to marry a Geek Squad member. I'll stick with Apple for the best computer experience and best customer service of any company in the world
When I got my MSEE in 1977, I chose HP because they made stuff nobody else could make. When I left HP in 2001 They only sold stuff nobody else would bother with.

I was on the instrument side. I looked at a Keysite catalog in 2015. Nearly everything in there was something I had worked with. Just milking the old stuff. Just looked again and I see they changed the cases and updated model numbers. Same stuff though 20 years later.

• Sad
As opposed to the Windows hardware compatibility cluster f**k that led to a wholesale support nightmare?
If you can't find the software you need to do what you want and end up using a text editor or a spreadsheet for everything, are you really computing?

I had a coworker who figured out how to do everything with a casio pocket computer but it wasn't pretty when they had to share information with anyone else. The same is perhaps still true with iPhone contact lists.

If you can't find the software you need to do what you want and end up using a text editor or a spreadsheet for everything, are you really computing?

I had a coworker who figured out how to do everything with a casio pocket computer but it wasn't pretty when they had to share information with anyone else. The same is perhaps still true with iPhone contact lists.
We are getting off topic. The Apple platform is elegant and works well. Many hate the price, but I don't care about price. I don't care if their system is proprietary.

In 45 years of managing high priced IT technologist, I have learned to ignore much of their gripes and esoteric arguments. At the highest level, it's about functionality and ease of use.

Reactions: Foxbat
Story time.

When I was working in the defense industry (Star Wars program) we programmed our VAX to calculate what would happen to the wavefront of a high energy laser beam traveling through the atmosphere. We programmed in a text editor in Fortran and got one answer which was correct.

Our sponsor, an AF LtC, had neither VAX nor experience in Fortran. So he took our equations and programmed them into Excel! Of course he got another answer, and never figured out what was wrong.

The moral of the story is this. Never try to program something complicated into Excel. ;)

Reactions: navychop