Post your 622 Reviews Here!

622 Review - New to Dish, DVR, and HD

I am completely new to Dish Network, DVR, and HD. Here is what I think of the 622 after about 6 hours of use:

Overall, the pro's far outweigh the con's and I am very happy with the 622.

Pros:
- HD picture looks really good. Some channels are better than others. The HDNews channel clarity is amazing - you can see the makeup smudges on the reporter's face. ESPNHD (and ESPN2HD) look great, I am happy with it.
- I like how you can create Favorites lists and set the default program guide to show it. I could never do that with the cable I had before.
- I am really impressed with the OTA tuner. My antenna barely got an *OK* reception in analog, and I was figuring on having to go get a fringe antenna for HD, but the 622 pulled in all the channels I really need. I am 24 miles from most of the antennas, live in a big woods, and have a $60 Rat Shack antenna in my attic. I didn't like my odds, but it's working great :) The first scan didn't pull in my local CBS (WBNS), but I went back later for another scan and it found it
- DVR is the coolest thing ever. DVR'ing HD is the 2nd coolest thing ever. I've never used TIVO, so I can't compare, but this thing is simple enough. I set some timers, and played with live TV pause and loved it. The skip ahead feature when watching playback is nice.
- Caller ID on the TV is neat
- My Harmony 880 works like a charm with it. My #1 Dish remote isn't needed at all.
- I love the fact I have access to DVR and all my channels on my TV2, and don't have to pay the extra receiver fee.
- TV2 has good picture and sound running in dual mode. I need to spend more time on TV2 before finalizing this judgement.

Cons
(I realize some of these are nit-picky, I'm hoping someone might know a solution
to one of them)

- The fan is loud - as loud a PC at startup, and at other rare occasions. This makes sense as the thing is a PC.
- My OTA channels have a lower volume than the Sat channels, requiring turning the volume up & down when you jump between. This is my biggest con so far.
- I did notice some out of synch between audio and video, but it wasn't major. I am set to HD synch.
- I did have a freeze up initially right after the installers left that required a soft reboot. I believe that's because they didn't peak the Dish 1000 correctly. 110 wasn't coming in at ALL. I didn't notice till after they left. My advice, check a few channels from each bird before letting them leave. My install experience is a whole other thread though. I crawled up on the roof and re-peaked it myself, although I could only get 110 to 50. I'm gonna get a good helper and give it another go as I really don't want to wait for the installers to come back.
- I wish remote 2 had a way to easily set the sleep timer. I have to navigate through my TV's menus with the Dish remote. My old remote had a Sleep button.
- Portions of the picture are cut off. This is most noticable on the program guide at the bottom, and on any channel that carries their logo in the bottom right. Not a major issue, but it is there.
- SD Picture - I wouldn't say I'm mad about the SD quality, because it's better than the snowy picture I had before with my crappy cable. I would say I'm dissapointed in it though. I've seen others describe it as "soft", which is a good way to put it.
- The picture on my SD locals is noticable worse than the other SD channels. If I didn't have an OTA to get the digitals, I would probably be griping or dropping the locals.

The list of con's might be longer than the pro's, but they aren't as important... Overall, this is a very nice piece of hardware and I am very happy I am now using it. Now, if I can get my Dish re-peaked so I can get a stronger signal on 110, I'll be very happy as an overall Dish Network sub.

Bought mine on Ebay.Had already got a 1000 dish on ebay and it was already up and pointed.Took all of 5 min to wire it up.Called to activate got the famous India pick up.He had no clue what he was doing and gave me another number to call.I was on hold for 45 min but when I told the guy I wanted it turned on and what programing I wanted to change to and as soon as I could tell him he said anything else?(It is all in who picks up your call.Some are worthless and some are very good.)I have had the "pleasure" of a 921(Still using it in 1 room till the rebate then that PITA is out of here.)So the 622 is a dream The only prob I have had is 129 fades out at times.I have the dish the best for all 3 sats but 129 goes below 50 sometimes and when it does I have to do a switch check.No biggie but if it keeps doing this I will go to 2 dishes.So 622 great! Dish 1000 not so great.

I just had my 622/211 recievers installed today. All I can say is WOW ! I am seriously impressed with the operation of them. I love the guide colors makes it easy in my eyes.

I currently have an 811, with the 622 on order (install date 4-1). Iam very much a noob when it comes to the switches. I did a switch test, and it looks like I have DPP, is this the same as the 44 switch? The 622 is replacing my 811 and a 625 in my sons room. When I placed my order the CSR said that I would be getting a Dish 1000. Is this good or bad, I have read several conflicting stories about low signal strentgh with the 1000, should I just have another 500 dish installed?

Thanks,
Russ

Spinerep said:
When I placed my order the CSR said that I would be getting a Dish 1000. Is this good or bad, I have read several conflicting stories about low signal strentgh with the 1000, should I just have another 500 dish installed?

My CSR also ordered me a Dish 1000 to replace my Dish 500. When my installer came, I said I wouldn't mind having a 2nd dish if that would get me better reception. He said that's prefered and what he was planning to do anyway.

He installed a second Dish 500 with a single LNB which runs into the original Dish 500 (which got new LNBs). All works like a charm.

Erik

(The only bummer now is how uninteresting most of the new HD channels are.)

I am receiving the Salt Lake City HD locals on my 622 and they do not compare to the CBS east HD feed. Is this just the SLC stations or are there other locals that are not up to par? I really like the 622 (after going through 6 921's). The installer finally had to add an extra dish since that Dish 1000 is a joke out here in NE Nevada.

I finally got my system all set-up yesterday. New Dish 1000 and a 622. The tech had alot of problems with getting me a signal and spent 3 hours working on it. He tried very, very hard and finally after moving the dish to 3 different places finally had success. I had a very large Oak tree that with my old set-up, 110 and 119 I had good reception. The tech had a tough time tweaking in all 3 sats. So far the HD channels are GREAT! Even the SDs come in a bit better. The 622 has many features which I still need to learn so it will be awhile before I get use to it. I have a Phillips 50" that some people on another forum said was a "dog". I totally disagree and couldn't be happier with it. So far I am pleased with the system and have had none of the problems others have described(keep my fingers crossed!)

Questions on 622 from a Dish newbie

I don't have a 622 yet, but am on the verge of ordering. It would be my first satellite receiver; I would be switching over from Comcast HD cable and TiVo (Panasonic Elite w/DVD burner and 2d standard 80-hr box. Not that it makes a difference for my questions, but other setup info: Mitsu WD52528 HD LCD proj set, Sony STR-DE898 a/v rcvr, PS2, 7.1 combo Bose/Boston Acoustic spkrs).

I've read about 100 or so of the 150 posts here and have a couple of questions to which I haven't found answers yet (perhaps because they are too basic). I'd appreciate any information.

I have a friend who has a 942 with HD. He swears that he can record 3 inputs (both sat tuners and OTA) in HD. I was on the phone ordering the 622 and HD Platinum when cust svc guy says that the dual tuners are 1 HD and 1 SD. I asked if he was sure because I understood that both tuners were HD -- as distinguished from TV1 and TV2 outputs, which I knew were HD and SD, respectively -- so that both could record in HD. E.g., this is what my friend says is happening with his 942: 3 HD inputs. Is that correct? Additionally, as I told cust svc guy, I understood that if I do not hook up a second TV, but instead use only the one HD TV, my PIP/side-by-side will both be in HD. Again, this is supposed to be what my friend is getting on his 942. Is that right? Does cust svc guy not know what he's talking about?

In addition, I gather from most of the posts that folks here all own their receivers (as does my friend his 942 and two others (721 and 5something?). Can I get opinions on advantage(s) to owning rather than the leasing option that Dish now offers? Again, I'm coming from the mixed world of leasing a cable box and owning 2 TiVOs, so I can see advantages on both sides, but soon to be faced with a fairly useless TiVO, I suppose I'm leaning more toward the lease option.

Thanks.

As with the 942, the 622 can record 3 HD sources simultaneously: 2 from sat, 1 OTA. Additionally, you can watch a pre-recorded HD event from the DVR (HDD) while the other 3 tuners are in use.

Since you're familiar with TiVo, I assume you recognize that you can also begin watching an event from the DVR that is not yet completed recording.

Last edited:
tclundin said:
In addition, I gather from most of the posts that folks here all own their receivers (as does my friend his 942 and two others (721 and 5something?). Can I get opinions on advantage(s) to owning rather than the leasing option that Dish now offers? Again, I'm coming from the mixed world of leasing a cable box and owning 2 TiVOs, so I can see advantages on both sides, but soon to be faced with a fairly useless TiVO, I suppose I'm leaning more toward the lease option.
First, the CSR is incorrect since you can indeed record three HD events simultaneously: 2 via satellite and one via OTA as previously mentioned.

I purchased my 622 and kept my leased 942 since I had paid a $250 HD DVR upgrade fee last year...plus, it has been an excellent receiver. I also kept a leased 811, but I returned a 2nd leased 811 since we no longer needed it. To me it was worth it to purchase a 622. We needed another HD DVR and I enjoy the additional VOOM HD (World Cinema, GamePlay, Family Room, World Sport) and ESPN2HD has come in handy a time or two. I can do without Treasure and UHD, but hopefully we'll see additional national HD (FoodHD, HGTVHD, MTVHD, WealthTV, Cinemax HD, StarzHD) and more VOOM HD as the year progresses.

HD LIL is available in my area, but to me it is almost useless since I have two OTA antennas. However, it will occasionally come in handy to record two broadcast network events at the same time...if I don't mind a watered down version.

Under no circumstance would I consider the $99 upgrade option and give up my 942 nor commit to 18-months of programming since I'm in a FiOS area. Buying the 622 gives me the option of selling it later or keeping it for DishHD only. I guess every situation is different...purchasing was the best option for me.

tclundin said:
I
I understood that if I do not hook up a second TV, but instead use only the one HD TV, my PIP/side-by-side will both be in HD.
Thanks.
You can have both the main picture and PIP in HD but it won't do split screen.

riffjim4069 said:
First, the CSR is incorrect since you can indeed record three HD events simultaneously . . . .

Thanks for this (and same reply from 120inna55). That's what I was looking for. I guess CSRs are same all around, whether cable or sat.

I did have one more question: Can I use ethernet port on the 622 to download guide info from the internet over my home network, instead of using the telephone line? I'm keeping my broadband cable internet access. My TiVO is on my home network and downloads from the 'net, no dialing in with a phone line. Can the same be done with the 622? If not, what is the ethernet port used for?

Thanks again, guys.

622 "Digital" Channel Scan

Don't know if this is the right place to ask but didn't want to start a new thread if I could get an answer here.
I have a 622 on order. Currently I have a 921. Yesterday I hooked up a cable feed to the antennae input and did a analog and digital scan. I see that the 921 ONLY appears to scan 2 thru 69. I assume that this is any channels between 2 & 69?
Could someone tell me what the range of scan is on the 622? The reason I ask is that I found some HD digital channels on my raw cable feed in the range of channel 79 thru 86 using the HD tuner in my Sony SXRD. I am going to be dropping my cable to "basic" lifeline (ch 2-7) the first of the month. Wondering if the 622 will be able to scan the digital channels in the channel 79-86 range.
Thanks, Gerry

tclundin said:
Can I use ethernet port on the 622 to download guide info from the internet over my home network, instead of using the telephone line? I'm keeping my broadband cable internet access. My TiVO is on my home network and downloads from the 'net, no dialing in with a phone line. Can the same be done with the 622? If not, what is the ethernet port used for?
The program guide is downloaded via satellite, not phone line. The ethernet port is currently inactive.

epsilon said:
The program guide is downloaded via satellite, not phone line. The ethernet port is currently inactive.

OK. Well, then what's the phone line used for? I've seen several posts in this thread talking about message screens reminding you to plug in your phone line and/or mentioning a "phone fee." Not sure what the box is calling up for, if not programming info.

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts