Post your 622 Reviews Here!

After reading some of the horror stories about the 622, I was a little apprehensive about my Install.

Purchased 622 from Dishstore and recieved it 3-28-06, opened box and inspected for damage and everything was perfect, removed my 510 and installed the 622 in its place.

Took a big breath, hit the power button, fan and drive revved up, got a picture, checked switch every thing worked flawlessly.

Called Dishnetwork, pushed 8 for receiver activation, A lovely sounding lady named Sandy answered in about 15 seconds, took my receiver numbers, upgraded my programming, activated my receiver and asked if there was anything else I needed, I said no, she said thanks for using Dishnetwork and we said our goodbyes.

Scanned for OTA channels went without a hitch, signal strength is better with the 622 also.

Total time from opening box to watching HD.......40 minutes.

The HD Gods must be watching over me, I love the 622

I received my VIP 622 today for my Friday upgrade. As others have done, I removed one of my receivers and started up the VIP622 to get it ready for Friday's activation. After hearing stories about the fan being loud, I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually much quieter than a PC fan and only ramped up for a few seconds during boot up. Then it went quiet. I am afraid that if I put it behind glass doors I will never hear it.:devil: Actually I will leave it plugged in for the next 2 days to burn it in in case it's a defective unit. But I doubt it as everything sequenced just like Scott's review. So far, so good.

Is this right?

evyst said:
The HDMI cable only passes 2 channel stereo not 5.1. Doesn't matter what it's hooked to.

Is this an accurate statement? I can't imagine people being satisfied with just the two channels from an hdmi hookup. But if it is the case I guess I will try the optical cable. I get my system installed tomarrow, but I'm not sure if they will have the extra dish i will need installed..... Here's to keeping my fingers crossed.

otsmiles said:
evyst said:
The HDMI cable only passes 2 channel stereo not 5.1. Doesn't matter what it's hooked to.

Is this an accurate statement? I can't imagine people being satisfied with just the two channels from an hdmi hookup. But if it is the case I guess I will try the optical cable. I get my system installed tomarrow, but I'm not sure if they will have the extra dish i will need installed..... Here's to keeping my fingers crossed.

HDMI is a single-cable solution for those who only use the monitor's built-in speakers. Imagine the ease of installation: cable(s) in from dish, HDMI out to monitor. Those who use AV receivers for varying surround sound formats still use the optical (or digital coax) in addition to the HDMI's digital carriage of the video signal (in other words, we're only actually utilizing the video portion of the HDMI--like DVI).

Someone please correct me if I'm misleading him.

EDIT: After reviewing my post, I realize that some late model AV receivers have HDMI video switching. So, I reiterate evyst's question.

Last edited:
What's in the box

Guys,

I apologize if I missed this but I just took the plunge and ordered the 622 as well moving up from my 501 and 311 receivers.

What exactly does the 622 come with in terms of remotes and cabling?
I currently own a Panasonic HD plasma and would be amazing if the 622 came with HDMI and component cables.

Thanks,

crones said:
Guys,

I apologize if I missed this but I just took the plunge and ordered the 622 as well moving up from my 501 and 311 receivers.

What exactly does the 622 come with in terms of remotes and cabling?
I currently own a Panasonic HD plasma and would be amazing if the 622 came with HDMI and component cables.

Thanks,

My 622 came with composite video cables, 2 remotes, some phone cable, 3 or 4 different pieces of coax, and a line separator. NO COMPONENT CABLES!! Your better off anyway, Iam sure the quality of cable wouldn't be up to par of the Panny anyway. I also have a Panny (50" 8UK) and I hooked mine up through the PC in connection, freeing up the other component input for when the PS3 comes out. I bought my component to VGA cable here...http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1023503&p_id=2173&seq=1&format=2&style= . This cable is very inexpensive, is well made, and works even better!! You won't be sorry!

Another easy install here. Got the 622 from Dishstore on Wednesday, but left it in the box until Friday after work. Pulled my 522 and replaced it with the 622. Also removed my 811. Called SBC and changed my programming package to HD Platinum and got to watching all the HD goodness WITH THE ABILITY TO PAUSE!!!

I have to say that I am loving this thing. What a great box.

Hooked it up via HDMI to my Samsung DLP and then fed optical audio to my Denon receiver.

Consider me hooked!! Glad I waited.

The 622 is my first dual tuner/dvr, and it is a great upgrade from my single tuner dvr's and 811 HD receiver. Couple recommendations I have for this receiver... Firstly, like most people, longer HD dvr time. never thought 25+ hours could rack up so quickly. Secondly, since the 622 has the caller ID function, how difficult wouldd it be to make the receiver two way phone system like On-Star in cars? Phyone is already connected. Add a little mic, make the speakers of the tv the output for the phone, and there you have it. Like a speaker phone where programming would auto pause, or mute....

It looks like I'm finally at the end of this journey. I live in the woods and had the Dish 500. Before I would get the 622 I wanted to make sure I could get 129. Dish installed the Dish 1000 but the installer said a tree trunk was in the way. Had dish come back out to tell where I could put a second dish. The 2nd dish guy didn't what to work any harder than he needed to and said I couldn't get it (he wanted a quick install and make his money). I called a local retailer that installed my first dish 9 years and 3 months ago. He knew what he was doing and found a place I could get 129 (I paid him to do this). So I put the pole up and put my old dish 500 to get 129. The 4th installer came out and hooked things up, getting 129. The it was time to buy the 622. The local retailer could get it the next day, so I ordered it from them. When they came to hook up the 622 it didn't work. Got another the next day. The installer couldn't hook it up right away so I hooked it up myself. So far I like it a lot. The 1st DVR I have had. My only problem is with my 2nd TV. The last installer should have ran a new cable to my TV 2 but to save him time he did it another way with several switiches which reduces the signal. I'll run the cable so I should get a stronger signal. So I'm almost done.

• Ordered a lease upgrade 942-->622 using the "special upgrade number" on April 6.
  • Received shipping tracking number on April 10, that confirmed delivery for April 12.
  • Received the 622 (Model/Main Board suffix "C") at 5:30pm on the 12th, completed the swap/set-up, and had programming activated by 8:00pm.
The entire process was a smooth sailing 6 days, believe it or not. So far (Day 2), I've scanned OTA (better reception than 942), set about twenty timers (they're firing), set A/V preferences (no lip sync or stuttering problems), created custom guides (HD guide is great!), and have enjoyed several hours of SD/HD programming. PQ is great and I've had no "buggy" issues. I didn't even have to reprogram my Harmony remote, all functions work just like with the 942! I'm loving this box :clap

:up:up

Just had my 622 installed last night. Went very smooth. I noticed this unit is a lot quieter than my 942 was. I can't hear it at all when I close the glass door on my cabinet. Love having so much more HD channels (Flipper in HD!) I noticed that there are already channels standing by for the San Francisco HD LILs. Anyone know when they go online? I also think it's cool that you can distribute tuner 1 on a different channel to other TVs (SD of course). Scanning the OTA was super fast and I'm looking forward to the Dish On Demand feature. Again, anyone know when that will happen? Knock on wood, I'm very happy I made the switch. Now to just fill up the DVR with the kids' stuff that I had to lose on the 942.

Dish 1000 upgrade and VIP622 installed today around noon time. Everything went pretty smooth. So far so good. The new HD channels look great. Have not tried the OTA scan yet. All smiles right now.

I have had the 622 about a week now and love it. All the features work great and I really like the agile modulator. What I didn't like is the manual that came with it. I figured everything out ok, but the manual was very vague and weirdly worded, and not laid out very well.

622 Experience

I Have Had 622 For 3 Months And It Has Been A Very Good Experience. I Would Recommend It To Anyone. It Has Performed Every Function I Have Requested. :) :) :) I Have Not Missed D For One Minute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts