Post Your Dish Hopper Install Experience: Did You Survive?

Ok, he sees what the issue was with the second hopper, was not set at factory default. If its not set at factory default it skips steps in the loading process. I think we're ready to move on to the one Joey

My techs first, which he admitted he will have to learn patience he says he had things all timed out with other installs, 722 etc, now he says he really cant time out his jobs (yet) I will save my next post for summary :)

Ok installer left I am going to play around for a bit and give my info an review on things

1) How many Hopper/Joeys were installed?
1H2J
2) Were you able to get the best promotional price for the Hopper system?
Yes
3) Who did the install/upgrade? Dish Network Tech, Retailer, or Third Party Contractor
Contractor
4) How long did the install take? hours? days?
4 hours but had to wait from sunday to wednseday for replacement jpoeys do to his improper install of joeys. replacements had to come from Dish in Colorado.
5) What was the overall install experience?
Except for the joey problem great.
6) What problems did you have during the install?
See above
7) After the install: What immediate problems did the tech leave you with that need to be fixed right away by Dish?
No operation on joeys
8) After the install: What problems will you'll fix on your own or waiting for Dish to push a software fix?

3) Who did the install/upgrade? Dish Network Tech, Retailer, or Third Party Contractor
7) After the install: What immediate problems did the tech leave you with that need to be fixed right away by Dish?
8) After the install: What problems will you'll fix on your own or waiting for Dish to push a software fix?
9) Anything else?
I wound up installing and setting up the joeys myself since installer didn't come back as he said he would. He did help me by phone in setting them up instead.
9) Anything else?
DLNA works intermittenly. Last time it failed I rebooted the hopper and it worked again.

Here's a few questions i came up with for people who have finished installation:

My answers:

2 Hoppers, one Joey

No customer price/paid 199 for second Hopper

Dish Network Tech
About three hours
Good it was the Techs first Hoper/Joey but discussed with me he has been an installer for about five years

Not a problem but tech was no used to having to wait for software downloads, he has a plan that he used to with other dish receivers, says he has to get used to Hoppes and he now knows that factory defaults need to be set for proper downloads/Startups

7) After the install: What immediate problems did the tech leave you with that need to be fixed right away by Dish
None
Nothing major, but a did a reset to get on demand working

9) Anything else?​

No problems system rocks, love the UI and speed, new basic hd channels and on demand downloading, HD downloads in seconds waited forever with Direct for HD downloads

Tech was a real good guy. Nice clean set up. It was his first install with Hopper, and as i mentioned above his big thing now is him having to adapt to jobs taking a bit longer as he has jobs done to a timed science with other recievers.

When he first came in he wanted to make sure I knew what my set up was with two hoppers and one joey. He wanted to make sure i knew they would not see each other yet. I reviewed with him why I went with two hoppers/one Joey he agreed that was they way to go for tuners and future intergration

While I let him do his work we had small talk about satelite guys web site, he knew about it.He could tell I knew my info!

Last edited:
isaacmorseMI said:
2H/3J

Yes, $199

Contractor: AEI

4 1/2 Hours

Great.

2nd Hopper took 20 minutes to get a Client ID.

None.

Hopper says there is no recordings on the EHD.

9) Anything else?
Really looking forward to 2 Hopper integration!

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Edit: The EHD transfer worked fine after Mary sent a hit. Thanks Mary!

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Here's a few questions i came up with for people who have finished installation:
2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys
Yep
Dish Netwrk Tech.....Me...LOL
About 4 hours
Great, Thanks to this place..
None again Thanks to this place
None
I really want the two hoppers to see each other.
9) Anything else?
I love it, Upgraded from a 922 and 722K

So far so good... Loving and the wife even likes it..

My installer just got here. He is a subcontractor. He is giving me a little bit of a hard time for wanting to stay on EA. I am a mover. The locals I should get are on both arcs in HD but the ones we usually get are only HD on EA.

He gave in eventually. He seems to know what he is talking about. He says he has done several hopper installs but this is his first dual hopper install. He brought someone with him to help.

king3pj said:
My installer just got here. He is a subcontractor. He is giving me a little bit of a hard time for wanting to stay on EA. I am a mover. The locals I should get are on both arcs in HD but the ones we usually get are only HD on EA.

He gave in eventually. He seems to know what he is talking about. He says he has done several hopper installs but this is his first dual hopper install. He brought someone with him to help.

The dual ones seem to present challenges in that they have to wait for software loads. Good luck!

They still haven't hooked up the first hopper. They switched my dish to the 2 lnb one and switched out some cabling. They seem to be doing a very thorough job.

Since I have an RV account, I had to go through a local dealer for the Hopper upgrade. The dealer in the McAllen area didn't have Hopper equipment in stock and the initial order didn't get delivered properly, just Joeys, no Hopper. So it the installation started on the 15th and finished on the 24th.

To great credit to the local installer, he hot-staged the Hopper system because this was the first install in the area and his last training was in Denver when the Hopper was still is development. The result was he came, installed the equipment (Hopper and two Joeys), and was done in less than an hour.

It didn't hurt that I had the old receivers removed and the cabling setup for the install in the trailer. The installer was surprised that everything was RG6 solid copper and all the pass-thrus (wallplates) were 3GHz which means he had little to do.

-Two hoppers, three joeys

-Yes. I ended up paying $40 for the install, nothing for the system and then received $20/month off my bill, and HBO for $6/6 months.
This was due in part to my 2nd returned 922 (about to be my third after another HDD failure), them messing up my appt, and then setting my appointment day for 8-12, and not having the tech show up until 3:30. (It took them until 11to finish the install)

-Contractor (Digital Dish). Great guys btw. They were great. I bought them pizza!

3) How long did the install take? hours? days?

Close to 8 hours…Most of it was waiting for the hoppers authorize/download software and start actually working

4) What was the overall install experience?

-Techs were great. Hardware install was terrible. Dish needs to get their act together. Allow initial software DL over broadband already!

-Software install; guide not working; unable to see joeys, dish network phone techs that had no training on the hardware

-NONE

-NONE

9) Anything else?

Don't get this system unless you are patient enough for the install! Prior to this I had a 922, 722, and 211.

9) Anything else?​

1) 1 Hopper/2 Joey installed last Sunday
2) Yes...$99 charged to my next bill
3) Contacted DIRT and they set me up with an instalation last Sunday
4) Appt was from 12-5...tech called around 5:15 said he would be there close to 6pm and it could take 3-4 hours to install...Arrived at 5:45pm...Left around 6:35...the wait was for the software to download
5) It went very well..it was the techs 5th hopper install and he knew what he was doing...he did say that the other installers had been having problems and calling him for help...thanks to SAT GUYS he said I knew my stuff and was very knowledgable about the prouduct and that he had an install the day before when a customer didnt even know what he was receiving...told him about SAT GUYS and showed him the website...said he would def take a look around the site
6) No problems
7) Nothing
8) None...besides the bugs that will be worked out
9) Everything went well and enjoying every second of the Hopper experience...also was able to get a Sling Adaptor a few days later and loving that just as much

Last edited:
They still haven't hooked up the first hopper. They switched my dish to the 2 lnb one and switched out some cabling. They seem to be doing a very thorough job.

They still haven't came inside and started plugging in the hoppers and joeys. Again they seem to be doing a very thorough job and they are very friendly guys but we are past the 3 hour point now and they haven't plugged the first unit in yet. We only had one room that wasn't already wired for a dish receiver so I'm not sure exactly what is taking so long out there.

With the slow software downloads still to come it sounds like there is almost no chance we will have live tv by the time March Madness starts at 2:20. In the end I would rather have them take longer and do everything right than rush through it and have problems later. I'm just excited to play with the new setup.

They still haven't came inside and started plugging in the hoppers and joeys. Again they seem to be doing a very thorough job and they are very friendly guys but we are past the 3 hour point now and they haven't plugged the first unit in yet. We only had one room that wasn't already wired for a dish receiver so I'm not sure exactly what is taking so long out there.

With the slow software downloads still to come it sounds like there is almost no chance we will have live tv by the time March Madness starts at 2:20. In the end I would rather have them take longer and do everything right than rush through it and have problems later. I'm just excited to play with the new setup.

Sounds like they are being thorough which is a good thing :) It it helps if the recievers are set at factory defaults, my software downloads took about 15-20 minutes, with one of my Hoppers that was the hang up. My tech took about three hours about about half hour or so was him calling and looking into why one hopper was not progressing, that's when he looked into the factory default issues

So software is downloaded on both hoppers and 1 Joey he was careful to only do one box at a time. He called in to authorize all the boxes as soon as the first hopper was done downloading. This makes me nervous because I thought I remember reading that all boxes needed to have the software downloaded before you could authorize anything. He was surprised that they haven't hit the receivers yet.

2 Hoppers
I purchased mine.
I DID.
It Took about 2 1/2 hours from start to activation.
I thought it was easy
None
Not Applicable

9) Anything else?​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts