Postage event...thing to be on FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdovell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
USPS - Postal Customer Council

"PCC's will be provided three workshop-in-a-box's to use as part of this exciting event on Intelligent Mail, Value of Mail and Flat Sequencing System. The event can be seen via PSTN channel 15, DISH Network channel 9601, KU band: AMC2 – Transponder 8 Downlink (H) 11860 MHz and C band: AMC3 – Transponder 3 Downlink (H) 3760.
We look forward to an exciting event!"

I'm not sure how learning on postage can be exciting but I guess if you send stuff a bit or work in the post office it would be work related...

I wonder what other businesses use fta...it's probably better than a webcast for the speed and the screen and atmosphere...

And, the grass is always greener...

...on the other side of the road.

If you haven't seen one, they're new and exciting.
If you've seen too many, then one more just might kill ya. :eek:

There are a lot of things on FTA that people watch, and I just wonder . . .
. . . about them, mostly . . . :D

In many cases, they're duplicates of what I get OTA here in LA with an ATSC tuner, or with my Dish subscription...
...things I've never considered spending any time with! :cool:

Sometimes I think the journey is more interesting that what you see at the end.
FTA is a great hobby, whether you actually -watch- the shows or not. :)

Sometimes I think the journey is more interesting that what you see at the end.
FTA is a great hobby, whether you actually -watch- the shows or not. :)

You couldn't be more right, Anole. If my dish sits too long without some tinkering, I get very bored just watching programming. I certainly don't have a fix-it-and-forget-it mindset!

Diamond Jim said:
In the 27 years I was employed by the Postal Service, I have had the honor of sitting through many of these "workshops."
It just crossed my mind... is this the cause of the "going postal" syndrome?

Panavision - thanks for the backup.
You know, in Ham radio, we used to call people who just bought and talked: appliance operators.
I suppose a parallel would be those who just subscribe to DirecTV or Dish.
...or maybe anyone living on one fixed dish (even if it has two LNBs).

But for those with a motor, or multiple dishes, or lots of LNBs, they are the true hobbyists.
Thanks to all who participate here on the forum, sharing their knowledge and experiences.

And that "patient wife" is a big asset, too! :cool:

Bump...

I suppose this should be going on now, but I am a few miles away from my dishes and receivers...

It just crossed my mind... is this the cause of the "going postal" syndrome?

That, and the fact that managemant does not appreciate how hard the employees, especially carriers (I was a clerk) work to get the job done. The employees that don't do anything get by without any problems, but the ones that do their job are expected to take up the slack and just get more and more piled on them. Nine times out of ten if an employee is worthless they will put them in managemant. Their theory is if a person is doing a good job and is a dedicated employee pass over him and pick the deadbeat because he isn't doing anything anyway. So when you get mad at the Postal Service, please don't take it out on the craft employees, take it out on management, it's their fault.

The best example I ever seen was when this employee and his wife lost their baby at birth. There is a federal law that allows government employees to use up to 2 weeks sick leave, it's called Family Medical Leave, to care for family member. This is so the employee won't have to use their vacation time for this purpose. When this employee approached his female supervisor to ask for the FML, she denied him. When he asked why, this is how she sxplained it to him. She said that FML is for taking care of a sick family member, this baby is dead, not sick, therefore you do not qualifiy for Family Medical Leave. The sh*t hit the fan over that one. Aside from a few of us keeping him from kicking the sh*t out of her, we had to fight off other employees that were going after her. And the public wonders why an employee will go "postal." I rest my case.

That is a completely cold way to treat someone who has just lost a baby! I can believe it, though, coming from a government agency. I have an aunt and a few cousins who have/had jobs with the Post Office. Fortunately, my aunt was a postmaster at a rural post office, and things were probably somewhat more subdued there. My cousins are mail carriers.

I once ask for some time off to go to a funeral. My supervisor told me, and I quote, "why do you want to go to his funeral, he's not coming to yours." That was 25 years ago, I will never forget it.

Twice I was an acting Postmaster in rural post offices. It was pretty good. You were your own boss and if you didn't screw up anything nobody bothered you.
If you worked in a distribution center or one of the stations there was always someone messing with you. It got so bad that you knew that getting up in the morning and clocking out to go home would be the best parts of your day. I took a three year early out and everytime I see one of my old friends the first thing they say is "it's worst now than it ever was." Believe me, I don't miss it.

Everybody thinks working at the Post Office is the greatest thing in the world. My Dad thought it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Eighty percent of the work is easy, it's the bull---t from managemant that takes the joy out of working there.

Tony, CLOSE this thread or I'll be bitchin' until doomsday. Just kidding, this will be the last I say about this subject.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)