Potential D* customer wondering if HR 54 is available yet?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Snoozer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Currently off contract with E* and Hopper hard drive failure prompted me to shop around. Found a great D* deal that saves me almost $800. Not familiar with their products but heard that the HR 54 was the newest 2 TB HD DVR.

Currently off contract with E* and Hopper hard drive failure prompted me to shop around. Found a great D* deal that saves me almost $800. Not familiar with their products but heard that the HR 54 was the newest 2 TB HD DVR.
In spite of the HR54 being available, I must say that the HR44 (HR34) and wireless Genie Minis are certainly nothing to sneeze at.

The biggest challenge with getting the Genie DVR setup going is making sure that you have a SWiM system involved (which essentially enables only one coaxial cable as a requirement for each receiver run -- and less if you use the wireless receivers).

We've been Genie customers for over a year and can't say enough good about them.

Word of caution regarding things like 4K TV: The standards haven't even been finalized on connectivity in the broadcast field, much less for distribution. Further, remember that 1080p hasn't been adopted by broadcasters yet (only 1080i/720p), so keep these things in mind while awaiting the HR54.

Customers are reporting it being install.

DirecTV roll out their new equipment in trial areas. It is probably months away from wide-spread release.

Like Drucifer mentioned, D* sends out trial areas and sees how everything works before letting it go wide spread thru the country.

I can confirm that a number of customers in SoCal have received the HR54. I was working with a friend in San Diego to make sure he got an HR44 instead of an HR34 and he called me to say the installer had an HR54 on the truck and should he take that instead of the HR44....

It's 1TB and has the same performance as the HR44.

If you haven't figured it out yet,the HR54 is supposed to carry 4k broadcasting once Directv sets that up. Because of that,it will take up 7 tuners(but only broadcasts 5 tuners currently when it is released for everyone,someone correct me on that if I'm wrong) instead of 5 tuners that the HR44 has. If you have a 4k TV or planning on getting one,then you'd want a HR54.

If you haven't figured it out yet,the HR54 is supposed to carry 4k broadcasting once Directv sets that up. Because of that,it will take up 7 tuners(but only broadcasts 5 tuners currently when it is released for everyone,someone correct me on that if I'm wrong) instead of 5 tuners that the HR44 has. If you have a 4k TV or planning on getting one,then you'd want a HR54.

I don't have a 4K TV at the present time but could see myself buying one in the next year or so as more 4K content becomes available. I was one of the original plasma pioneers having paid over $10,000 for one of the first models to come out (which I still have) so I learned the hard way not to be in a rush for the newest and greatest. Besides the 4K feature, are there any other features on this receiver that are not available on the HR44?

I don't have a 4K TV at the present time but could see myself buying one in the next year or so as more 4K content becomes available. I was one of the original plasma pioneers having paid over $10,000 for one of the first models to come out (which I still have) so I learned the hard way not to be in a rush for the newest and greatest. Besides the 4K feature, are there any other features on this receiver that are not available on the HR44?
That Pioneer Elite still looks GREAT, dosen't it !
It will be a long time before I buy a new TV, as long as mine is still looking like it does.

They have a whole thread about the HR54 explaining it,to include a first look review. The only difference between it & the HR44 that I know about is the 4k feature.

My friend signed up for new service a couple of weeks ago, and they showed up with a HR34. She knew the differences and requested a HR44, which the installer didn't have, so she postponed the install. The next week a different guy showed up with a HR54. This is in the Sacramento area.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts