Potential New Customer: DirecTV HD plans?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

msgph

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 17, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Hi All,

I have been looking at both Dish and DirecTV. I am currently with Time Warner Cable, home of the worlds worst customer service.

I have mainly focused on changing to Dish, but the upfront costs for 6 rooms seems unreasonable at $348. I know that there are options to share receivers, etc on Dish, but the hassles don't seem worth it. I have a large family, with 6 kids. I can only imagine the lost remote issues and fighting over tuners if I share receivers!

Looking at DirecTV vs Dish, it appears that Dish has the upper hand in national hd channels, while DirecTV has the upper hand for my local hd (Kansas City). I also like the upcoming possibility of multi room viewing and that I can combine it with my AT&T local phone bill.

The only sticking point that I have right now is the national hd channels. Is there any sort of published timetable for upcoming HD additions?

Thanks!

Michael

. Is there any sort of published timetable for upcoming HD additions?

Thanks!

Michael

All DirecTV has said that they'll start adding a bunch of channels 1st quarter 2010. Of course it all depends on if the new DirecTV 12 satellite makes it to orbit without any problems.

What does D* charge for 6 rooms?
If you got 2 hd dvs FOR FREE, ( Which I doubt) you still need 4 more rooms of HD or DVR's at $99 -$199 Each.?
According to D* website a 6 room system with 5 HD receiver and 1 HD DVR is $495

What does D* charge for 6 rooms?
If you got 2 hd dvs FOR FREE, ( Which I doubt) you still need 4 more rooms of HD or DVR's at $99 -$199 Each.?
According to D* website a 6 room system with 5 HD receiver and 1 HD DVR is $495

That may be true, but I don't need 6 hd receivers. I am looking at this setup:

1 - HD DVR (Free)
1 - HD receiver ($99)
4 - SD receivers (Free)

According to Dish Network Website, New customers can get a 722 and a 222 with no upfront cost.
Thats 4 rooms 2 HD 2 SD
So for 2 other rooms you'll have to Buy a 322 dual room SD receiver.
I think they cost between $125-$200.
Thats what your looking at with E* service, I'm not sure why they claim $348?
My guess is they were making buy a 222 ???

According to Dish Network Website, New customers can get a 722 and a 222 with no upfront cost.
Thats 4 rooms 2 HD 2 SD
So for 2 other rooms you'll have to Buy a 322 dual room SD receiver.
I think they cost between $125-$200.
Thats what your looking at with E* service, I'm not sure why they claim $348?
My guess is they were making buy a 222 ???

Yes, they don't activate mpeg2 equipment with mpeg4 equipment anymore. So the cost for the 322 is $200 and there is a $59 per room installation charge. Total cost is $348. Doesn't matter that I have a Dish 1000.4 on my roof and that all room are already wired!

Yes, they don't activate mpeg2 equipment with mpeg4 equipment anymore. So the cost for the 322 is $200 and there is a $59 per room installation charge. Total cost is $348. Doesn't matter that I have a Dish 1000.4 on my roof and that all room are already wired!
So I guess they make you have 2-222 and 1 722 with the Eastern Arc set up?
I don't have SD only receivers anyway but I do have 5 rooms of service.
I should have bought the 222 instead,But I went for the 211 for the DVR option. If your getting 4 rooms of SD anyway, you might as well get D*, Because SD programming wise its not much different, and D* Choice HD DVR package is unbeatable in programming and Price.

Ordered!

Hi All,

I talked to a DirecTV rep today. She noticed that I was a former customer and looked at my past account. I ordered 1 HD DVR, 2 HD Receivers and 2 SD receivers. I don't know if I got a good rep, or if I received a standard past customer deal, but this is what she did:

1. All equipment charges put on first month's bill.
2. HD programming fee credit for first year
3. $10 credit for 10 months to offset one of my HD receivers
4. $25 credit to offset half of AM-21 OTA receiver add on.
5. Waived the $19.99 processing/shipping fee.
6. Showtime free for three months.

All in all, I was happy with the process!

Mike

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts