Power Inserter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sichejo

Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
I would like to get a cheap power inserter to use when I am aligning my dish. I just need to power the lnbs when I have the spectrum analyzer out at the dish. I could also temporarily steal one of the lnb cables, and send the channel 3 modulator output and send it out to the dish, and take a tv out there. When I install the Ku dish, I will probably have only one cable going to it. I thought the analyzer would be a nicer setup anyway.

Any ideas?

If you have a power supply, just clip leads to the center conductor and the shield/outside (disconnect the cable from receiver, obviously). I can't remember if center is positive but you could check using a cable into your receiver and a volt meter. Use a splitter and send one line to the SpecAn while the other goes to the power supply.

WARNING: some SpecAn can't take voltage so you must use a DC block. It will typically say next to the RF input of the SpecAn.

Check the power required for your LNB and adjust your power supply accordingly. I think it may be ~18V for an LNB and use your receiver to flip polarizations. If you are doing the same for a DBS feed, then, about 18V will get even numbered transponders and about 13V will give odd numbered transponders.

Last edited:
I emailed Sadoun, not heard anything back yet. I will ask them to bring a few of the inserters to Dayton. A friend if mine wanted one also.

You cannot just supply voltage to the LNB, and tap off the wires to see the RF. There has to be a choke in line to prevent to power supply from eating the RF.

I could homebrew something. But they are cheap enough, just might as well get one.

Thanks

You cannot just supply voltage to the LNB, and tap off the wires to see the RF. There has to be a choke in line to prevent to power supply from eating the RF.

Perhaps there is a choke in the RF splitter I use but, you CAN supply voltage thru one side of the splitter and run the other output to the SpecAn. I have been running monitoring systems this way for over 3 years that are on 24hrs a day and have had no problems.

Going back to the original quesiton, why don't you just use a RF splitter and your receiver for power? Put the splitter near the dish and SpecAn, run a short cable to the SpecAn and another short cable to the LNB.

I did not think of that. I would need a splitter that passed DC, and use a DC block on the other port going to the analyzer. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts