Power inveter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

j_met

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
East TX
I the installer came out last Friday and hooked everything up. It's still working but I noticed the power inverter is still plugged in to one of the wall jacks in a totally different room than the receiver. If I unplug it, everything quits working.

What is it and why does it have to be plugged in for everything to work?

Shouldn't it go behind the tv instead of laying on the floor connected to a wall jack coming off the splitter?
?

It can go nearly anywhere in the setup as long as it's on a power passing leg of the splitter(s) or before any of the splitters.

How do I figure out if it's a power passing leg?
?

Theres a Red circle around the power locations.

Your talking about the splittrer involved, not the PI itself, right ?
The Power inserter has an In and an Out, thats it.

The way I set them up ( there are various ways to do this) is from the dish to the PI (labeled to LNB) then if you have more than 1 recvr, you'll have a splitter (this is a SWM splitter, not just any splitter) the to recvr side of the PI goes to the Power lug on the splitter, then I connect coax to any other lug on the splitter that goes to the recvr.

Last edited:
A swm splitter is marked to show which ports are power passing.
swm2waysplitter.jpg

If the TV's are working.. It is.
The splitters Directtv uses only have one power passing leg, so the one its connected to (on the splitter) is it. It's also marked with a Red dot and a line (on the splitter).
This is why if you move the power inserter into another room, you'll lose Satellite signal on all your TV's, unless you also change the connections at the splitter.

It can go nearly anywhere in the setup as long as it's on a power passing leg of the splitter(s) or before any of the splitters.

Technically, it's best for it to be as close to the dish as possible to minimize voltage drop over distance.

You can easily move it to another room. I prefer to install the power supply in a utility room or basement where its out of the way

Ya, I have mine in my attic.

Technically, it's best for it to be as close to the dish as possible to minimize voltage drop over distance.

Of course, but if the cable from the dish to the power inserter is solid copper, it's not likely to be an issue.

MThe guide inall of my receivers is only downloading half a day.How can I fix it please ?

Are these brand new to your set up ?
If not, 1st thing to try is a reset.
Typically you should have the first 2-3 days worth when it's done loading and you have a picture.
The remaining days will fill in over the next day or so.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts