Power to satellite dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Schenkb

Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Nashville TN
Please help. Tailgating is upon us and I have au9 slimline dish with 4 LNB's. It seems like every time we hook up a receiver, it loses the ability to power the dish. The receivers continue to work in the house, but will not give power to the dish. This has happened to two different receivers. However, I have another receiver that works for tailgating with no problem. Am I doing something wrong? I called Direct TV and they insist that the receiver does not power the dish, so therefore there is nothing wrong with the receiver. My question is why does one work and another doesn't. As mentioned the receivers worked one time and the second time we hooked it up no power to dish. Can you buy a power supply for the dish?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Vandy Bill

Please help. Tailgating is upon us and I have au9 slimline dish with 4 LNB's. It seems like every time we hook up a receiver, it loses the ability to power the dish. The receivers continue to work in the house, but will not give power to the dish. This has happened to two different receivers. However, I have another receiver that works for tailgating with no problem. Am I doing something wrong? I called Direct TV and they insist that the receiver does not power the dish, so therefore there is nothing wrong with the receiver. My question is why does one work and another doesn't. As mentioned the receivers worked one time and the second time we hooked it up no power to dish. Can you buy a power supply for the dish?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Vandy Bill

What recvrs are you working with ?

What dish are you using at home, is it a SWM set up at home and not on the road ?

If so, you'll need to do the Repeat Sat set up and change the dish type in the settings from SWM to SL3 or SL5 depending on which one you have.

Btw, the info they gave you was somewhat incorrect.

On the SL3-5 set up the recvr is powering the LNB, in a SWM set up the power comes from the Power Inserter (PI).

I called Direct TV and they insist that the receiver does not power the dish, so therefore there is nothing wrong with the receiver.
How many outputs does the LNB assembly have?

What model receiver are we talking about?

Unless the dish is fairly new, the CSRs are not telling you the truth about where the power comes from. I wouldn't say that they are lying because they may not know any better.

Whether required or not, the receivers definitely output power to the dish.

Yes, but if you are using a SWM lnb, the receiver doesn't have enough voltage to run it correctly. You will burn out the power supply without a power inserter.

Thanks for the replies. It is not a SWM dish, it is an AU9 with 5 connectors, I am only using one should I possibly try another one of the connectors. The receiver is an SR21-700. We always go through the dish setup. As mentioned, it worked with a friends receiver and worked for a time or two with the SR21-700 receiver. We get some type of message no communication with dish. It stays on the screen that says searching for satellites. I live in a high rise condo and the receivers are working fine there, I assume they are being powered by something on the roof, that is why Direct TV insists there is nothing wrong with the receivers. They know I purchased a receiver to just use for tailgating, when it would not get a signal, I called and asked if I could send back for a replacement, they said no since it works in the home. I guess I will have to try and st it up in my parents backyard and have them look at it.
I will check the cable to the LNB and make sure all is fine. I also have a satellite finder which allows me to obtain a signal, it has a small battery pack that powers the dish, while my buddies are setting up the TV and receiver. The dish finds a signal with no problem. We are also using a Honda 1000 generator. I am just stumped as to why 2 receivers have for no better term shorted out the ability to power the dish.

Thanks for the replies. It is not a SWM dish, it is an AU9 with 5 connectors, I am only using one should I possibly try another one of the connectors. The receiver is an SR21-700. We always go through the dish setup. As mentioned, it worked with a friends receiver and worked for a time or two with the SR21-700 receiver. We get some type of message no communication with dish. It stays on the screen that says searching for satellites. I live in a high rise condo and the receivers are working fine there, I assume they are being powered by something on the roof, that is why Direct TV insists there is nothing wrong with the receivers. They know I purchased a receiver to just use for tailgating, when it would not get a signal, I called and asked if I could send back for a replacement, they said no since it works in the home. I guess I will have to try and st it up in my parents backyard and have them look at it.
I will check the cable to the LNB and make sure all is fine. I also have a satellite finder which allows me to obtain a signal, it has a small battery pack that powers the dish, while my buddies are setting up the TV and receiver. The dish finds a signal with no problem. We are also using a Honda 1000 generator. I am just stumped as to why 2 receivers have for no better term shorted out the ability to power the dish.

Nothing shorted anything out, the other recvrs still work.
I think the problem is in your settings or dish pointing.

Your using a AT-9 both at home and on the road ?

I can not even get to the screen which shows signal strength. The dishes are different, but we go through the setup process telling what type of dish we are using. The dish is pointed correctly since we can switch receivers and it works fine.

I can not even get to the screen which shows signal strength. The dishes are different, but we go through the setup process telling what type of dish we are using. The dish is pointed correctly since we can switch receivers and it works fine.

When your going thru the set up menu, you say the Dish's are different.
You'll need to change the recvr to the proper dish setting before you'll get the signal.

What dishes are you working with ?

Thanks for the replies. It is not a SWM dish, it is an AU9 with 5 connectors, I am only using one should I possibly try another one of the connectors. The receiver is an SR21-700. ...
Just to clarify two things.

The AU-9 dish has four outputs and I believe you meant HR21-700?
Also, if only using one output the receiver setup may need to be changed to reflect that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts