Power Vu, DCII: what is these?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Robert_W

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
SE Iowa
I see in the Lyngsat the usage of "Power Vu" and also of "DCII".
I did a search to find information on these two items to understand.
Maybe this will not only help me in asking but also other newbies to understand this. Hopefully will come up as first when in doing a search on these two subjects.
1) Are these scrambled channels, If so, How do you find a place to order a subscription to have it descrambled.
2) Scrambled? But are free, just right equiptment to interpert the signals?
3) Scrambled? For a business to sell?

A few questions, to Power Vu, DCII, and DCII+. Any inputs to understand these items?

There are a few different types of signals in the sky for tv distribution.
Digicipher 2 is owned and developed by Motorola. DCII is very popular among cable companies and various broadcasters as their standard of digital distribution and encryption.

PowerVu is owned and developed by Scientific Atlanta. They use the world DVB Mpeg 2 standard to distribute signals via satellite. PowerVu is a type of encryption that secures the signals.

Motorola claims that DCII is mpeg-2 but their version is not compatible with any other equipment-though it resembles mpeg-2 it is a bastardized version and more complex.

You cannot receive signals that are encrypted by the above systems without authorization.

You may be able to lock onto the transponder but no video or audio will be present.

Only channels that can be received with a fta receiver are non-encrypted dvb mpeg standard signals for the most part.

How do you get "Autorization"?

Let me ask this:
When I had DN, I love to watch CNBC. Now when I got into the FTA, I notice it is in Power Vu. So to watch CNBC, How would I be able to do it? BTW, I will not use my computer connection, it has issue in itself.

Last edited:
the only way to get powervu programming is to have a scientific Atlanta receiver, access card and to be a cable company :)

The Armed Forces Netowrk programming you have to be in the military :)

Here is something that puzzles me. If a cable company can just buy them off the PowerVU feed, why would they use a second party uplinker like HITS QUANTUM and get them in DC2?

Someone in the industry please explain this to me.

one satellite versus multiple

get a dish aimed at W5 and hook up a bunch of commercial receivers

from the hits site

It’s easy to launch all-digital and advanced services with HITS Quantum. Comcast Media Center and SES AMERICOM are committed to offer you the ever expanding HITS Quantum suite of services via satellite. The all C-Band platform enhances service reliability and provides easier access to more programming and advanced services. The majority of video services offered by HITS Quantum including standard and high definition linear and VOD programming are available on three satellites in SES AMERICOM’s HD-PRIME® neighborhood: AMC-1, AMC-2 and AMC-18. HITS affiliates can receive these HITS Quantum services from all three satellites with one antenna which allows you to efficiently deliver more programming choices and advanced services to your customers by maximizing bandwidth without comprising quality.
info on their site
HITS Quantum - HD and SD Digital Programming Platform from Comcast Media Center

Here is something that puzzles me. If a cable company can just buy them off the PowerVU feed, why would they use a second party uplinker like HITS QUANTUM and get them in DC2?

Someone in the industry please explain this to me.

Along with the Downlink simplifcation, there is the simplification of encryption systems.

The below is "How I Understand It"
Using Scientific Atlanta equipment, you can shift the PowerVu mux from the L-band straight to a QAM-CATV channel for your SA cable boxes, which already know how to decrypt PowerVu.
Similarly with a DC2 mux and Motorola cable set-top boxes. Allows the use of Digicipher encryption all the way, shifting the L-band Mux to QAM-CATV.

I'm oversimplifying the L-band to QAM part. I have no idea what parts are needed there...

From what I've read mixing Sci-Atlanta and Motorola (QAM to end-user) equipment causes all sorts of grief.

Last edited:

I wish HITS would sell all there feeds to us. They probably would if there was a DC-2 home version that did all the DC modes. Damn Motorola with it's stronghold against the backyard dish owner.

Too bad there weren't tons of Starchoice used newer (the ones capable) receivers that Skyvisision could buy up like they did with the 410's and sell a multiple HITS birds package. I would gobble one of those up as Im sure quite a few others would.

the only way to get powervu programming is to have a scientific Atlanta receiver, access card and to be a cable company :)
Why do you need to be a cable company in order to receive PowerVu programming?
If you have a PowerVu receiver, why wouldn't programming providers want to sell you a subscription?
Do they think selling subscriptions to individuals is peanuts and not worth their trouble? I would think they would want any money they could get, no matter how small.
Are they afraid of piracy? If so, that's a lame excuse. PowerVu is supposed to be very secure.

Cisco Systems / Scientific Atlanta just introduced a new MPEG-2/MPEG-4 DVB-S2 satellite receiver: the D9865.

D9865 Data Sheet said:
Supporting the PowerVu conditional access with DES or DVB de-scrambling, or DVB Conditional Access Module (CAM) based DVB CA systems, this receiver can be used to receive secured corporate communication of video, audio, and/or data broadcast. It can also be used for secured delivery of TV programming to hotels, MDUs, homes & commercial establishments such as restaurants, stores, etc.
The inputs/outputs on this receiver show it is not intended for cable head-ends.

So if you have one of these receivers, why wouldn't a programming provider who uses PowerVu encryption want to sell you a subscription?

Selling to individuals won't happen. Your a spec of dust to them. Heck NPS with 25,000 subscribers can't get calls back from certain programmers to get channels for us. They want the TALL DOLLARS ACCOUNTS only.

exactly tvropro

I have a SA 9234 which is used for the Military channels (AFN) and there is no way in heck I can get that activated...unless I was in the military ;)

exactly tvropro

I have a SA 9234 which is used for the Military channels (AFN) and there is no way in heck I can get that activated...unless I was in the military ;)

Ya... I can actually remember when AFRTS was ITC analog back in my humble beginnings of c band.

I wish we could sub to Powervu but it's not gonna happen.

> From what I've read mixing Sci-Atlanta and Motorola (QAM to end-user) equipment causes all sorts of grief.

Now you tell me!

The DC2 was the easy part, trying to get the QAM encoder to modulate any thing is more challenging them I first thought.

Its pure politics, the technology is there but it would hurt the overpriced cable companies where the programmer go to feed! It would be easy to sell bud owners a powervu receiver and create an authorization center. That. Ould actually revive the big dish market showing people how relible the signal is in the rain and how vivid the HD master broadcasts are o. A quality tv!

Its pure politics, the technology is there but it would hurt the overpriced cable companies where the programmer go to feed! It would be easy to sell bud owners a powervu receiver and create an authorization center. That. Ould actually revive the big dish market showing people how relible the signal is in the rain and how vivid the HD master broadcasts are o. A quality tv!

You said a mouthful and it's all true. It's sad that the bud can't be like it used to be. A handful at the top of the cable/programming cartels won't allow it to happen because they want to sell the masses overpriced crap and force them into this. It's all about power, money, greed, and control. :rant:

Hey why need feed everybody's tv's with overcompressed digital washed out pictures.....they don't know any better anyway....Look at pizza dish HD. Then look at a master broadcast HD pic when we are lucky enough to find them. Night and day differrence. Our SD on c band would give pizza and cable HD a run for its money in a lot of instances.

Plus they can sell massive expensive packages slicing the bandwidth it tiny pieces and price it high cause your getting 200 digital channels. Its funny how so many of the channels are shopping and religious channels (I am in no way knocking the religious channels). to me "200 digtital channels" shouldn't include shopping and information channels. but usually that's how they count the packages.

You got that right about how our SD master channels can rival pizza & cables HD LITE.

They have the people brainwashed with the word Digital. (suppose to be the cats meow) But in the instance of pizza and cable it's whats coming out of the cats rear end.

200 channels okay... we get 1000 channels or more if you count everything being broadcast in the Clarke belt.

Thanks all,,,,,,
When ever I get to it. I will get the 3 meter up, and run it on the old wineguard reciever to push it. And watch what I can on the Coolsat 5000.
I have talked to a few people, that stated that 4DTV Reciever is not nesseccary, because of doing no subscription.
So Powerview is Cable head,,,
DCII requires a subscription,,, So I really have not much to watch then? I can watch what is said "F" on Lynsat, and that is it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)