Powerline BB Connector

tingari80

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
NJ
Did anyone use Powerline BB Connector? Can i use two of these connectors for entirely different purposes. Say, I use one to connect modem to powerline in one rook. In the second room, I connect powerline to wireless router. is there any degrade in the internet speed?

I have used powerline connectors (Zyxel) for the past two months. One is connected to my router and the other one is connected to a switch in another room that connects my television, receiver, DVD player and 722K. I connected my laptop (CAT 5 cable) directly to the router and then to the switch. The speeds measured exactly the same.

They *CAN* however cause interference with each other ... there was a test of them where an older unit performed fine while a newer faster power line device couldn't perform even as well as the older one ... once the older one was taken out ... the newer one achieved better speeds.

Its for that reason that you should plan and test accordingly ... if you add a module... check that your speeds are still the same or as expected.. if not ... take the older one out of the loop and test.. if things get better you'll know why, and you should do so as soon after getting so that you can take the module back if you don't want to be stuck with it.

A good and fairly inexpensive option is to use a wireless bridge or buy a wireless router that can run as a bridge or can have its firmware replaced with something like DD-WRT so that it can operate as a bridge client ... etc... by fairly inexpensive.. I give you the Buffalo WHR G300N $40 dollars or so at NewEgg .. runs out of box as bridge if you want it to.. and also supports DD-WRT ... the drawback to *it* is that it does not have an external antenna so if you need something with external antennas (and hence can get more directional with extending your wireless reach) you'd need to do more research.. but there are *plenty* of options out there for under 50 bucks!!

Bullet point #2 here:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...ug-five-ways-to-boost-powerline-network-speed

Or here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/13/technology/personaltech/13basics.html?pagewanted=all
Data can go even faster with more advanced powerline products. Belkin has introduced its Gigabit Powerline HD line of adapters that advertise data transmission rates of 1,000 megabits a second. (But if you use a standard HomePlug AV adapter on even one outlet, the entire network reverts to HomePlug AV speeds.)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)