PPV bomb drops on Feb 1st

Status
Please reply by conversation.
the guy posts something that may or may not be true. yet all these people bash his credibility because he only has 6 posts. most of the bashers really need spelling lessons by the way. if someone told you a fire had started in a building they were exiting and you were entering but you didn't know them would you say they weren't credible too? just wondering. if the op is wrong it will be easy to prove. no need for asinine character assassination.

If anybody (myself included) posted a story that would effect most of us but did not include a source (especially if one only had a couple of posts under one's belt), that would cause many of us to doubt the story and the credibility of the poster (unless of course it came true). That should be simple to understand. It has happened before that a poster posts a false story just to play a joke and to stir stuff up. If we don't know enough about the poster who does not supply a source, many will tend to doubt the credibility of it. If it's happened before, it can happen again.

Personally,
It won't effect me at all ....

I've ordered like 2 movies in 10 years.

For what it's worth, I believe him, just don't understand what D* has to gain by doing this.

Jimbo

It may simply be a way of bowing to pressures being exerted by the movie industry. They may be floating the idea of lawsuits if DBS companies can't control multiple views and/or archiving of programming. This is simply a guess, so who knows.

From my sources they indicate that this is NOT true. While it may be true for VOD content (which has always been the case) there is nothing like this happening for regular old Pay Per View.

No, by its very name it is a Pay Per VIEW. You are paying to view the program once (unless it's an "All Day Ticket", just as a ticket to a movie theater entitles you to only view the movie once.

Also, there is no guarantee that any programming stored on a hard drive is permanent. What if the hard drive crashes?

Even DVDs and videotapes are covered by copyright laws. Let me quote the disclaimer printed on one DVD I just grabbed from my collection:

So, to answer your last question, no, you should not be able to "unpay" for a PPV once you have viewed it. Let's turn it around... should your employer be able to "unpay" you for your work if, due to circumstances beyond your control, your work is lost or destroyed in some way?

It's called the Betamax decision, and the Fair Use Doctorine. Read up on it.

LOL. Wow, you turned a thread about the satellite industry into an E* vs D* thing.

That was awesome. The OP says it will affect the ENTIRE satellite industry both D* and E* and you somehow manage to say Id hate to lose them now that I'm with D*. Like somehow its only D* who is accused of this.

That was fantastic trolling. Those Damn D* PPV erasers, ugh the horror.

It could be true, or it could be fabulous trollery. It's worth noting, this was also posted in the Dish Network forums. Let's hold off the verbal beating of the OP until Friday. If it's not true, I just may be grateful enough to not berate him. I've heard just enough about content companies trying to enforce this kind of crap for several years to take what he said as a possibility. Dish has already made very clear (Look at some of the other "DRM" threads recently) that they are going to be (under protest) infecting some of their channels with so-called "DRM" to downconvert HD on certain PPV and premium channels to 480p if you aren't connected with an HDCP compatible HDMI connection. Component users, you are SOL. It's also been mentioned that recording restrictions are a possibility, so what the OP said could have some truth to it.

It could be true, or it could be fabulous trollery. It's worth noting, this was also posted in the Dish Network forums. Let's hold off the verbal beating of the OP until Friday. If it's not true, I just may be grateful enough to not berate him. I've heard just enough about content companies trying to enforce this kind of crap for several years to take what he said as a possibility. Dish has already made very clear (Look at some of the other "DRM" threads recently) that they are going to be (under protest) infecting some of their channels with so-called "DRM" to downconvert HD on certain PPV and premium channels to 480p if you aren't connected with an HDCP compatible HDMI connection. Component users, you are SOL. It's also been mentioned that recording restrictions are a possibility, so what the OP said could have some truth to it.

D* has always been able to go in and erase your PPV's as well as place a expense limit on your account.

Jimbo

D* has always been able to go in and erase your PPV's as well as place a expense limit on your account.

Jimbo

All providers have been ABLE to, physically. They don't want to because it's bad for business. It pisses off their customers who are churn-happy enough as it is. Plus, there are legal issues involved. I spoke with a cable installation manager who said there were legal reasons why this type of thing could not be implimented. However, I had that conversation with him 6 months ago. Who knows what could have changed. IF this is actually going to occur, D*, E* and Cable are doing it under protest.

All providers have been ABLE to, physically. They don't want to because it's bad for business. It pisses off their customers who are churn-happy enough as it is. Plus, there are legal issues involved. I spoke with a cable installation manager who said there were legal reasons why this type of thing could not be implimented. However, I had that conversation with him 6 months ago. Who knows what could have changed. IF this is actually going to occur, D*, E* and Cable are doing it under protest.

Nothing PHYSICAL about it, they pull up your account and run a PPV erase program, probably an option that takes a higher up person to do, but it is there.
Simple change of code in the data stream.

Jimbo

Nothing PHYSICAL about it, they pull up your account and run a PPV erase program, probably an option that takes a higher up person to do, but it is there.
Simple change of code in the data stream.

Jimbo

How in the hell is that not physical? They have the ability to, and always have. I have no idea what you're quibbling with me about.

They do it now with the Showcase Recordings, so it is possible.

To make things more confusing one of our staff members was sent this by his DirecTV contact...

I haven't heard a date, but the studios are enforcing this requirement at some point early this year.

I believe most other MSO's are already doing this though I don't know for certain.

And there you have it.

Well if this ever was to become a reality, then the next logical step would be to go in and erase all the movies that were recorded from HBO or Starz and such. Movies are movies. HBO and all the others are PAY services to which would fall under the same kind of scrutiny I would think. I honestly don't see this happening. But with the way the companies are hyping all this DRM stuff, who really knows.

I wonder how this is going to affect xstreamhd and their product.. as well dish.

I would doubt it would much at all. XStreamHD seems to be a VOD service. Those have expiration dates. Most of us are accustomed to expiration dates on VOD items.

Well if this ever was to become a reality, then the next logical step would be to go in and erase all the movies that were recorded from HBO or Starz and such. Movies are movies. HBO and all the others are PAY services to which would fall under the same kind of scrutiny I would think. I honestly don't see this happening. But with the way the companies are hyping all this DRM stuff, who really knows.

There is a significant difference between the rights assigned for PPV versus the rights assigned for HBO, Showtime, etc. Consider some of the recent changes for PPV. Some PPV events are released the same day as the DVD, one at least the same day as the theatrical release. PPV movies are shown for a limited duration, after which the rights to distribute are given to others (like HBO).

It would seem the point is to avoid people getting a permanent copy of a film for $5 the day the DVD is released. It is a considerably different proposition to let someone record a film permanently (from HBO, etc.) three months after the DVD was released. They already made money off of the DVD at that point.

The hype around DRM is mostly focused on eliminating redistribution. Copying a clean digital copy off of a DVR and onto a DVD is a money-loser for them.

Why don't the cable & satellite companies make a united stand against the studios?

More than likely, because they are contractually obligated to abide by the agreements in place.

Also, the cable and satellite companies aren't exactly experienced in cooperating for common causes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)