PPV bomb drops on Feb 1st

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chiente

Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Not widely known yet, but the satellite industry is required under contract with movie studios to ERASE all the recorded PPVs on your DVR as of 2/1/08. That's correct - all saved shows on hard drives will be erased and any new PPV purchases will be viewable for only 24 hours and then erased. It affects Direct and Dish.. wait until customers get wind of this!!!

I had read something about something like this about a year or two ago, but with cable. Can't remember where, but it was only cable (at that time) and I don't think it ever happened.

This is now the case with Amazon Unbox.

D/l ppv is avail for 30 days and onceyou start watching, you have 24 hours or it deletes

Not widely known yet, but the satellite industry is required under contract with movie studios to ERASE all the recorded PPVs on your DVR as of 2/1/08. That's correct - all saved shows on hard drives will be erased and any new PPV purchases will be viewable for only 24 hours and then erased. It affects Direct and Dish.. wait until customers get wind of this!!!

Go ahead and delete yours in case it does happen, we'll let you know if ours get deleted ....

Jimbo

We live in strange times.

If you buy a PPV do you not own it? If it deletes do you cease to own it? Should you be entitled to unpay for it?

Joe

I am seeing Netflix even is settings with complete DTV rigs & extensive home theatre eq. They like bypassing the commercials and don't have to screw around with the DTV service & installation scheduling. It has it's place.

Joe

If you buy a PPV do you not own it? If it deletes do you cease to own it? Should you be entitled to unpay for it?

Joe

No, by its very name it is a Pay Per VIEW. You are paying to view the program once (unless it's an "All Day Ticket", just as a ticket to a movie theater entitles you to only view the movie once.

Also, there is no guarantee that any programming stored on a hard drive is permanent. What if the hard drive crashes?

Even DVDs and videotapes are covered by copyright laws. Let me quote the disclaimer printed on one DVD I just grabbed from my collection:

The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work is illegal. Criminal copyright infringement, including infringement without monetary gain, is investigated by the FBI and is punishable by up to 5 years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000.

So, to answer your last question, no, you should not be able to "unpay" for a PPV once you have viewed it. Let's turn it around... should your employer be able to "unpay" you for your work if, due to circumstances beyond your control, your work is lost or destroyed in some way?

Joe

No, by its very name it is a Pay Per VIEW. You are paying to view the program once (unless it's an "All Day Ticket", just as a ticket to a movie theater entitles you to only view the movie once.

Also, there is no guarantee that any programming stored on a hard drive is permanent. What if the hard drive crashes?

Even DVDs and videotapes are covered by copyright laws. Let me quote the disclaimer printed on one DVD I just grabbed from my collection:

So, to answer your last question, no, you should not be able to "unpay" for a PPV once you have viewed it. Let's turn it around... should your employer be able to "unpay" you for your work if, due to circumstances beyond your control, your work is lost or destroyed in some way?

I disagree with your position .....
Unfortunatly your highlighted post did not quote:

The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work is illegal. Criminal copyright infringement, including infringement without monetary gain, is investigated by the FBI and is punishable by up to 5 years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000.

There is NOTHING Illegal after you pay for your PPV if you want to watch it 1-2 or 25 times.
You have a HD DVR for a reason, thats one of them, so you can record them if you want and watch them again.

I do not do PPV''s often mainly because I lack the time to do such a thing, but I have done a few.
The way it currently is, you can record it and watch it forever, as it should be.

edit : As long as your not copying and selling them

Jimbo

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)