PPV timer issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pvdb

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
Oakland
I had a problem two nights ago with a timer for a PPV movie on my 722k.

I ordered the PPV and set the timer no problem. When I tried to start to movie about 1/2 hour into it, I could only watch it live and not from the beginning via the recording. After the movie was over the recorded event just showed a black screen for a few seconds and then said 'playback over'. I tried to record the same movie later that night (without trying to watch it at the same time) and it also malfunctioned the same way (black screen for a few seconds when I tried to watch the recording the next day)

Has anyone had this same experience with recording a PPV and/or know why it happened?

I was well within the 'limited recording' time period for PPV movies, so I don't think that was it. I recorded a PPV just fine a few days ago and again last night (both before and after the malfunction), so it might be a one-time fluke thing. Dish credited me the PPV so I have no complaint, but was wondering if anyone knows what happened here?

What's the criteria Dish uses to determine which PPV movies are flagged as "limited recording" and which aren't? I've just browsed around lately and noticed that some (most) are flagged as "limited recording" and some aren't...and I'm curious what criteria they use to determine that...studio permissions, box office take, the phase of the moon?

My understanding is that these are studio permissions, or rather denials. They want PPV to be PPV, not "pay once and play forever".

which movie was it if you don't mind me asking? also are you having any trouble recording other things like regular shows and stuff? i used one of my ppv coupons for unstoppable the other night, i think a week ago, and just watched it last night. played fine for me.

I ordered the PPV and set the timer no problem. When I tried to start to movie about 1/2 hour into it, I could only watch it live and not from the beginning via the recording.

When you started the DVR'd PPV, did you select "View" or "Start Over"? If you select "View" it picks up at current time. If you select "Start Over", it starts at the beginning of the recorded program, even if it is still recording. I do this all the time, and have never had a problem. But, I could see where the wording is confusing, "View" implies that you are viewing the event, so you could assume from the beginning. Just a thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)