PPV / VOD price increase

skierrob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Just got a notice with my bill today that effective March 26, Pay Per View Movies will be $4.99 SD and $5.99 HD, and that VOD purchases will be $5.99 for SD.

Can't believe that anyone would pay that much for a movie when they can get Netflix for as little as $9 a month!

Honestly, given all the competition, I would have expected them to DROP pay per view prices, not increase them.

Also, I expect that only fairly technically savy people even know how to connect up their receivers for the new network VOD. At $4.99, I didn't expect many to buy movies. At $5.99, I can't see ANYONE buying a movie on VOD. The problem is that I see Dish using that as an excuse to drop the feature in the future instead of realizing that they should be offering lots of free VOD and very cheap VOD like the cable companies and D* do instead of trying to gouge people who already use other technical alternatives.

Robert

Price increase

I have my 622 hooked up to my network. I have never ordered a VOD and very few PPV. One of the only things I like about my friends Concast Cable DVR is the get a nice selection on free VOD. I am not bashing E*. I am a long time subscriber and very happy in the long run. VOD is an area were they need to be more competitive not less.
Thanks for the heads up.

don't understand it either. I thought the whole thing with VOD was to be more like others and have some free movies there.

PPV has been on the decline for years. VOD is making some significant gains in the market place. Companies like TVN are dropping PPV and focusing solely on VOD libraries. Dish should be dropping PPV channels and adding to VOD. I would not order a PPV movie nor would I pay for VOD content. Comcast uses VOD library as a service to keep their churn rate lower. Dish needs to focus on their own churn rate. Adding services like more HD would be step in right direction.

well, now they will lose at least 1/2 of the 10 customers a month who would be foolish enough to spend that kind of money for old, outdated, movies...
geez, talk about being out of touch with the real world!!!

Good Charlie Chat question....

How may PPV/VOD movies do you plan to sell at $4.99 and $5.99?

of course you can't tell the screeners that's your question.

I am seriously wondering what Dish is doing. THey keep jacking up the price of everything: fees, vod , etc., at a time when they are at a serious disadvantage with less hd than the competition.

The churn is on the wall with many subs leaving this last year and not many being added this last quarter. You used to be able to get your moneys worth in value with DISH before the dvr fee was added . Then came the extra because we can fees: 5.98 PER DVR RECEIVER when Directv offers theirs per account, the no phone line connection fee of $5.00, the extra fees for sd receiver at 5.00 vs hd receiver at 6.00 , now 7.00. The no basic pack fee for 5.00 , then 6.00 and now 7.00. THey just keep jacking the price up on everything they offer and give you very little value for that increase. VOD should be at an affordable price. Paying 4.99 for an sd movie vs 5.99 for an hd movie ,when the competition is still just charging 3.99 for sd and 4.99 for an hd movie, seems like they want people to go to the competition. DIrectv has hundreds of FREE vod choices that are at your fingertips and easy to down load lightening fast. DISH online is expensive , and getting more expensive , with a slow download speed. IT is a joke.

THen there is all that hd that they don't have, and the competition does have, NOW, not soon. I wonder what is really going on at DISH, are they just hoping people will churn ,so they don't have to pay to upgrade their mpeg 2 subs to mpeg 4 ? Either Charlie is getting really greedy or his accountants need money for all the lawsuits they need to fight since they are being sued out the ass from just about everyone they do business with.

I am still with DISH for the better dvr and have kept just the hd pack for two hd receivers , but I have also added Directv hd for more selection with two receivers. I could always just sub to just locals and down grade to one receiver and save even more money that I could give to DIRECTV and get another hd receiver. THey at least have not jacked their prices on lease fees /additional receiver fees, or their pay per views or their FREE vod. I really think DISH is struggeling financially if they feel the need to keep jacking the price of everything they offer , even FEES just because they can. THey are becoming more expensive than DIRECTV . I never thought I would say that but they are.

PPV has been on the decline for years. VOD is making some significant gains in the market place. Companies like TVN are dropping PPV and focusing solely on VOD libraries. Dish should be dropping PPV channels and adding to VOD. I would not order a PPV movie nor would I pay for VOD content. Comcast uses VOD library as a service to keep their churn rate lower. Dish needs to focus on their own churn rate. Adding services like more HD would be step in right direction.

PPV I can keep on my DVR and watch off and on as I like. VOD self destructs. Of course, I've done very few PPVs and lost 2 due to HDD failures on my 721 before completing viewing them.

Not a big fan of either. But for a buck, maybe two, I'd d/l past DH episodes I missed and watch and commercial skip as I like.

5.00 is not a bad price. Go to Blockbuster and Hollywood Video and it already cost $4.50++.

It make more sense to subscribe to the premium movie channels and get many movies in HD and a lot more programming. I would be willing to buy PPV, VOD, but it is too expensive. I'll wait for the latest movie to air on Showtime, Starz, etc. I'll survive viewing the movie many months later.

My local library buys 3 copies of most popular recent releases at WalMart each week and makes them available for free. After one month, we can reserve them online and they phone or voicemail when available and held for us for three days.

I'm certainly NOT defending DISH here, just trying to figure out their thinking--if that is even possible. Maybe DISH is looking at the customers who DRIVE to the video store(I'm excluding folks like Netflix here), given the rising gas prices. If you compare video-viewing options strictly in that sense, then maybe DISH is thinking the newly priced PPV is still a better value?

Eric

with the 622 or 722 you can hook it up to broadband and get hundreds of selections ranging form 2.99 to 5.99. maybe they are pushing more towards this IPTV option. but with so many people having problems with just keeping a dual tuner plugged to a phoneline(i cant even count how many threads i have seen on that issue), i am sure it is even more difficult to get recievers hooked up to broadband. echostar has put homeplug in their receivers, maybe next generation will have wifi?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)